20ft Texas Barrel

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

vupilot

Re: 20ft Texas Barrel

Post by vupilot »

You are braver, more creative than most! Nice work.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

I’m measuring this and that on the interior and came up with about 5 1/2 feet from the dash to the back seat. Hmm, seems kinda snug. So, to get my head around this space I measured the Trans Am sitting next to the boat and it’s the same, 5 1/2 ft from dash to back seat. I wouldn’t exactly call a 76 TA a roomy vehicle.
Engine goes in first, then build around it is my plan to maximize space. The Malahini is 3 1/2 ft shorter and will feel like a Suburban compared to this BB.
Matt B
Attachments
Upright board is estimated back seat
Upright board is estimated back seat
B3EF5AC0-A870-4950-90A1-26B1E1F695B4.jpeg

DavO

Post by DavO »

Hey Matt
Maybe you can allow the engine to encroach a bit into the backseat area in the middle, but still allow for deeper seating on the sides. See my simple picture below.
Attachments
Boat Pic.png

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Dave,
Yes, an engine bulge in the back seat was my first thought as well to make a few more inches of interior room. It would have to be done right though so not to upset the classic look.
The week after flipping a boat is spent measuring, scratching my head and fretting over the task as a whole. Soon I’ll settle back into one task at a time ,one day at a time. That’s how a boat gets built.
Matt B

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Matt

After weeks measuring and trying to mark the engine compartment, I found a line drawing of my Tahoe engine and gear. I got it printed full size. I made a 3D silhouette model of the engine. That answered a ton of questions. The engines of the time were about 135 HP and turned about 3000 RPM. They were mostly straight 6's. Unless you are really into a V8 sound, a V6 will have plenty of power and sound about the same. The V6 will save you rear room.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Hey Matt, you could always make it a row boat!! :lol: :lol:
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I think he's pretty set on the V8 out of that ski boat.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

I would prefer the Chevy 4.3L V6 but I couldn’t find a donor with a straight inboard setup with one. Heck, the V6 only buys me an extra 4 inches anyway. The bell housing, Transmission,coupler and packing nut take up as much boat length as the engine.
I’ve looked at every Barrelback engine photo on the web, it will all workout. It’s the nature of the layout, seating forward of a straight inboard is not a good use of space. I Gotta stay focused though, we’re going for sexy not utility.
Matt B

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Chris Craft made a 17 ft Barrelback with the straight 6 engine. Seats had to have been snug.

http://www.classicboat.com/chris-craft- ... ck-38n.htm

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Yup, snug is the word, but definitely do-able. The bench seat layout of the 19 or 20 foot Chris Craft boats will give a good comparison to yours. The V8 is slightly shorter than the straight six engines of the day so you might actually gain some room in that way. You can make this work by placing the rear seat back as close to the engine as you dare and still have the clearance you need. You'll want to make the seat back (or entire seat) removable like the original boats so you can access the engine but I'm sure you had that in mind anyway.
I agree the Malahini may seem roomier but the Barrelback will ride like an SUV compared to a sports car :lol:
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

https://paceperformance.com/p-3990-engi ... sions.html
http://mustangsandmore.com/ubb/EngineDimensions.html

Data says :
GM 4.3L V6 is 25.4” long
Ford 351W is 29” long
Not going to change my engine plan over 3 1/2 inches. The front seat will be a perfect fit for me either way, even if it were a V-12 back there. All leg room sacrifices are coming out of the back seat.

It would be cool make a small rumble seat aft like Neel did forward on his Gentry. Two kids weigh about the same as a tank of fuel. Put the fuel tank under the sole between frames 4 & 6.
Matt B

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Matt

The only problem is that the kids keep growing! :D

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Figure I’ll be overe the sheer about Five hundred times before I drag this build across the finish line, let’s make it easy.
Matt B
Attachments
7D54CE87-8ED8-4EDF-802E-8D51FF62EBA6.jpeg

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Matt

I used my building frame to build stairs. What a life saver.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

That's a good idea Matt. I'l have to add it to my cradle.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Return to “Hankinson designs”