Tom's Tahoe

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Bill Edmundson

Re: Tom's Tahoe

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:14 am

My work cost a bag of sausage & biscuits. And, I even got to expense those.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TomB

Post by TomB » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:32 pm

Bill, I tried the sausage & biscuits. The cop at the gate thanked me and sent me home, maybe he's a donut guy. :lol: :lol:

Added another hole, this one for the prop shaft.
Bottom holes.jpg
I was concerned about drift while cutting the hole with a forstner bit so a hole saw was used. I used a long bit the same size as the hole saw pilot bit to drill all the way through and let the hole saw ride the small hole all the way through, no drift. :) :) The hole is mostly end grain, what a pain chopping out the waste.

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:31 pm

Sanding is fun...it is very technical...not everybody can do it...keep telling yourself that Tom :roll:

A photo today and a photo a week ago look the same, except for the orange dust everywhere. I've been around the hull twice using a 6" RO, an air file, and a long board. My digimeter is old but really effective, I run my fingers over what looks finished and find a few more high spots sand some more until the digimeter says its done.

I am going around again with the long board looking for anything I missed and sanding with the grain. Sanding is fun...blah, blah, blah.

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB » Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:12 pm

As a break from sanding...

I like the idea of lining the prop shaft hole with fiberglass so decided to make a tube for the job.

A paper towel core wrapped with packing tape (just slightly smaller than the 1 3/4" shaft hole) was used for a mandrel. I cut a scrap of cloth big enough to make a couple of wraps around the tube and wetted it out on a sheet of wax paper.
Shaft hole liner .jpg
After the epoxy jelled, I gently wrapped it around the tube, squeezing the air bubble out as I went. After the epoxy cured, the paper mandrel was removed - fiberglass tube!
shaft hole liner 2.jpg
And it fits! :D :D
shaft hole liner 3.jpg
Tom

TomB

Post by TomB » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:27 pm

After sanding I dyed/darkened the boards that were too light. There was a lot of trial and error, the dye soaked in with a lot of variability leaving the boards blotchy. Sanding and alcohol evened things out. I also fabricated the spray rails.
IMG_0245.jpg
Tom

TomB

Post by TomB » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:37 pm

Two board seem a little lighter with the epoxy than they did with just dye or alcohol.
IMG_0258.jpg
The bottom now has 6 oz. cloth, 3 coats of epoxy on the sides and 5 coats on the bottom (including wet out).
IMG_0257.jpg
Getting closer to paint and varnish.

Tom

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:03 pm

Very nice looking hull,
Matt B

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:00 pm

That looks incredible. I wouldn't worry about the variability in the color of the planks. It's just the way wood is.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:22 am

Nice job Tom.... I hope I get to see the finished product someday... Maybe in Tennessee ?

TomB

Post by TomB » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:52 pm

Thanks Matt and Matt.

I expected the "pop" of wood grain from the epoxy on wood, the wet look. What I didn't expect was for planks below the chines to stay dark while a couple of planks from the same board went light. It didn't bother me enough to sand off the epoxy and re-dye.

Thanks Neel, I hope to see the finished product some day too! I went to do a little epoxy touch-up and the last bottle of resin was empty. I wonder who used the last of the resin and didn't order more. :oops: Tennessee is part of the plan, hoping to get on the dance card for a ride on the PB.

Tom

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:10 pm

Tom
I want to see you at the Gathering, too! Not too bad a pull for you. Almost all interstate.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:16 pm

Wow, really nice Tom. Really nice indeed. Another stunner in the making.
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

TomB

Post by TomB » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:40 pm

A drive from Michigan is easy. If people are coming from "down under", my excuses are weak. Bill just wants me there as a good example of a bad example :lol: :lol:

Thanks Carl, the kind words keep me going.

Tom

kens

Post by kens » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:03 pm

hoodman wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:00 pm
That looks incredible. I wouldn't worry about the variability in the color of the planks. It's just the way wood is.
I'm onboard with that also.
it looks like you already got the wood grain to 'pop' and this is only a computer pic.
I would like to see that up close and at the Gathering.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:28 pm

These boats look great in pictures and even better in person.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Return to “Hankinson designs”