Tom's Tahoe

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

TomB

Re: Tom's Tahoe

Post by TomB » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:16 pm

Hercdrvr wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:51 pm
Beautiful, all the fuss over the bottom paint is long forgotten.
Matt B
Fuss...What fuss? I don't remember no stinkin' fuss. :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the kind words Ken and Matt.

I didn't want to wait for the finish to harden up enough for sanding before applying the next coat of finish the next day. Wet varnish applied over a glossy finish...couldn't see where I was, what I missed, felt like the guy cleaning mirrors in the house of mirrors. So scuff sanding from now on, but not today, waiting for the finish to cure. Wish I was better at patience.

Tom

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:41 pm

Tom

I think we all get caught in that patience trap!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BayouBengal

Post by BayouBengal » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:39 pm

Fantastic!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:30 am

Looking great. I can't wait to see the flip!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

TomB

Post by TomB » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:10 pm

I'm sneaking up on the flip...

The 5th coat of Perfection Plus went on this afternoon. I'm happy with it at this stage, no buffing or polishing. Maybe later when the deck gets the full treatment. :D :D

I took notes, reading and re-reading Jim's Michigan Squirt Build string and particularly BayouBengal's finish comments. Thanks guys. (I suspect there were some hints in PMs since I've made mistakes Jim didn't make :lol: :lol: )

The list of things to do before the flip

- Mount the rudder port and water pickup which are already fitted, just need to caulk and fastener.

- Rig something to use with an engine lift for lifting and flipping.

- Rig something to suspend the boat during the flip.

- Avoid the patience trap of flipping before the varnish cures...Bill that's going to be a tuffy.

Tom

DavO

Post by DavO » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:10 pm

Tom, those were some amazing pictures -well done! I am a few months behind you, and will soon start applying my final planking material.

TomB

Post by TomB » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:46 pm

Thanks DavO. It is obvious but worth repeating, when final planking EVERYTHING shows.

I pulled the screws holding the motor stringers to the rear form and lifted the aft end of the boat using an engine lift and tow strap. Lot of creaking from the forward forms. Seems to work OK.

I also suspended a couple of D-rings from the joist above, ran a rope through them and around the hull near the transom and lowered the hull onto the rope and D-rings. The rope stretched and settled back on the form. Hmm.

I had the notion of lifting near the center of the hull and then use four rope loops as slings to hold the hull in the air. The plan was to reposition the lift and us it to roll the hull letting the ropes slide through the D-rings. I am using 3/8" diamond braid rope (cheap). I don't have room to roll, it needs to spin. How should I suspend the hull for the flip?

Tom

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:42 am

You have the right idea to spin it, may need better materials? Try a rope that's less stretchy (nylon not good) or go to a strap. Try pulleys at the D rings? Less friction. I have seen boat restorers use a pair of overhead pipes that can rotate in place, with ratcheting hold down/cargo straps looped under the hull and over the pipes. Tightening the straps lifted the hull to a height for spinning. They grab a side and rotate the hull (pipes spin too) to upside down. That seems a bit much for a one time job like yours, their setup was made to use often and on different size hulls. But the concept is much the same as what you are looking for.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

TomB

Post by TomB » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:06 pm

PeterG wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:42 am
That seems a bit much for a one time job like yours,
Wha-da-ya mean "one time job"? I still harbor the illusion that this is only the first. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've got quite a bit invested in rope, $8 maybe $10, can't just not use it. So I channeled my inner Boy Scout, made some trucker hitches so I could increase the mechanical advantage going through loops and hauled away, stretch and haul, stretch and haul. Now the rope is stretched and the boat is hanging!
IMG_0296.jpg
The rudder port and water pick-up have been installed.
IMG_0297.jpg
Flip tomorrow. :D :D :D

Tom

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:21 pm

See my link below for the Tahoe. My flip was through ropes and pulleys also. Yes! Truckers hitches too. Worked great. I also used one of those pulleys for exercise later when I later blew my shoulder apart!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:52 am

8) 8) 8) 8)
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

TomB

Post by TomB » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:00 pm

Bill, it has been at least 5 yrs in the planning to do the flip via rigging and I think seeing your rigging in the Gallery got me started.

I used D-rings and no pulleys...too much grip...next time I will use pulleys. I got some differential stretch as the ropes would catch or not catch, moving the boat from side to side a lot.
rotation 1.jpg
I calculated how high the hull needed to be to clear the floor and then decided my calcs where off...they weren't. :oops: Now that I was kind of committed, I had to re-rig a couple of time to raise the boat to clear the floor and the lift legs. I felt like a mouse going for cheese in the trap, unhooking and re-hooking.
rotation 3.jpg
It came around fast when it finally tipped. The rigging to raise the hull pulled it into the lift and house columns. No damage but it made me jump. :shock: :shock: :shock:
rotation 4.jpg
Tom

TomB

Post by TomB » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:10 pm

Now to ease it down onto the cradle.
rotation 5.jpg
25 months since the start of framing, this is the new view. :D
hull inside.jpg
And "the rump" post flip.
rump post flip.jpg
Tom

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:41 pm

Tom

I had pretty much the same experience. I had to lift it several times. Then suddenly it flipped itself. I jumped! :lol:

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Biss

Post by Biss » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:15 pm

Congratulations!

Return to “Hankinson designs”