Tom's Tahoe

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

mrintense

Re: Tom's Tahoe

Post by mrintense »

TomB wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:43 pm
Everybody knows that would be a problem so I'll take a little off the top.
Gotta have priorities in design work :)

The seas look elegant Tom, very nice and well suited to the overall design you've been building. What are your plans for beefing up the bolster mounting?
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

TomB

Post by TomB »

mrintense wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:57 pm
What are your plans for beefing up the bolster mounting?
Carl,

My first plan was to laminate 2" strips of plywood to build up the front edge. After I got the plywood strips epoxied I started thinking about a big guy bouncing on the bolster, cracking sounds, and the sound of the then discontinued upholstery tearing...

I cut the plywood off and replaced it with layers (2 1/2" x 4") of mahogany and a handful of 2" screws.
IMG_0518.jpg
I saw a tip a few weeks ago to use the curved side of a small sanding block to sand concave curves, worked great.

Tom

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

That triple folding seat is so cool!
Matt B

TomB

Post by TomB »

Hercdrvr wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:19 am
That triple folding seat is so cool!
Matt B
Whoops, sorry for the confusion Matt, the seat only have one hinge point. They are similar to stadium seats where the seat pan folds up to provide a walkway/place to stand. Unlike stadium seats, a block has been added to the leading edge of the underside of the seat pan. The block/bolster provides a perch to set on when the seat pan is rotated into the up position.

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB »

The cutwater is ready for test fitting.
IMG_0541.jpg
The shape distorted some after the weld cooled and the top edge needed to be spread about an inch.
IMG_0543.jpg
Then I could get some screws in and draw the cutwater into shape again.
IMG_0544.jpg
The trailing edge snugged up with moderate effort. :D :D

The rub rail will cover the top edge of the cutwater with a welded joint between the rail pieces. I hope to get rub rails welded today.

Tom

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Very nice, Tom!

acflynn

Post by acflynn »

Lookin' good!
Slowly building a Mist Miss in the Arizona desert

TomB

Post by TomB »

Thanks.

The first two pieces of rub rail are tacked together.
IMG_0545.jpg
The top edge of the cutwater needs to be tuned a little to improve the fit with the rail and a spot of weld is needed at the top of the backside then it will be ready to grind and polish. The rail needs to be welded on the backside and then ground and polished.

Tom

Aussie

Post by Aussie »

Nice work!

Fun getting everything sitting right.

Jamie

Butch Barto

Post by Butch Barto »

Looking good . That's a very hard part to fab up I made three before I got mine to fit.

TomB

Post by TomB »

It is tough to get everything to come together at the pointy end.

I asked a couple of the local pro builders for cutwaters and welding recommendations. Turns out one of my neighbors is the guy. Using the search function on the forum and his suggestions has helped a lot. I made a number of tape, paper and Ram Board templates to get a shape. I set up a laser line to the angle of the stem and then moved it around until it cast a line a little under 4" mid-stem and followed the flair of the hull to show about 7" at the sheer. With a matched pair of templates in hand, the neighbor's welding experience took over. The top edge of the cutwater needed to be shaved about a 1/16" to match the underside of the rub rail. No problem.

I wish I had add blocking between the battens were all the cutwater screws hit before putting the deck on. And I wish I had let the sheer overhang the deck by an 1/8th to a 1/16th at the stem so the cutwater could tuck under the bottom edge of the rub rail.

Tom

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Awesome work on the cutwater. Rub rail looking good too!

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

TomB

Post by TomB »

Thanks Steve.

I've been thinking about upholster. The cushions, seat backs, ceilings, crash pads, chair bases, and the engine box all get vinyl.

I've narrowed it down to three color schemes.

First scheme is the retro look, nearly white everything with turquois crash pads.
IMG_0546.jpg
The second approach is ivory everything.
IMG_0547.jpg
And third, saddle colored seats with ivory ceilings and chair bases and dark brown crash pads.
IMG_0548.jpg
My spouse, the interior designer (no, really), will decide, but I would like your thoughts too (cordovan has already been nixed :D )

Tom

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Color and design are very subjective and personal; however, the white with turquoise trim really hits a home run for me... it would create a Riva-like look that would be striking alongside those gorgeous mahogany decks. Just my 2 cents... you're very wise to let your spouse make the final call :D

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

acflynn

Post by acflynn »

Tom,

Wanted to let you know that Marcia thinks the saddle-and-white combo is the way to go with your build, and I tend to agree with my better half. If it were my build, I'd go turquoise, but I'm aiming for that period-correct look of the late 50's with all the bright colors of the Eisenhower era. However, with all of the great contemporary and custom details you've already included (the transom steps, the side pipes, etc.) this is looking more elegant and along the lines of some of the newer Van Dam or Grand Craft boats we've seen lately. But it's going to turn out great no matter what!

- Andrew
Slowly building a Mist Miss in the Arizona desert

Return to “Hankinson designs”