Tom's Tahoe

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

TomB

Re: Tom's Tahoe

Post by TomB » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:24 am

Toivo,

The initial plan to cut the step into the area above the rudder has been abandoned.

The plans show a transom made from a layer of plywood with blocking aft to create a cambered transom. I am keeping the plywood and doing something different aft. The area from chine to keel to chine is extended about 3", the sides are extended a maximum of 10", and the deck is extended about 6" on each side of the scallop while the scallop reduces the deck about 3".

The blocking to define the scallop and the first layer of plywood where test fit last night. The battens for the areas adjacent to the scallop will be cut today and then the glue up. I will post pictures which should do a better job of explaining.

Tom

ToddM

Post by ToddM » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:02 am

Looking good TomB. It is amazing to see the solutions people come up with.

TomB

Post by TomB » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:34 am

The blocking to define the scallop shape has been installed and faired on the transom.
Transom 170824 3.JPG
The battens flanking the scallop have also been cut. I sprung battens across the transom to match the camber of the deck and then cut the bottom of the notches, screwed the battens down, and then cut away the area that will be scalloped. Final attachment will wait until the transom is attached to the motor stringers. (I will probably wish for more access than I can get.)

The blocking at the top of the transom is faired to the scallop and the deck. I will fair the blocking on the scallop and leave it loose to, maybe, make the deck easier to fair later.

Transom 170824 1a.jpg
Another backing piece is needed at the transom/hull side. The transom and hull side battens give me an idea of the shape.
Transom 170824 5.JPG
Tom

TomB

Post by TomB » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:51 am

I could not resist the urge to force a piece of 3mm plywood into the scallop.
Transom 170824 7a.jpg
Transom 170824 8a.jpg
The little voices in my head say "attach it now" and "you'll regret it if you do".

Tom

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:33 am

Very cool 8)
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Toivo

Post by Toivo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:28 am

Very nice!
Building the Tahoe 23' viewtopic.php?f=15&t=31598

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:58 am

Tom, looks great, very challenging to figure this out. Question, do you have any horizontal blocking between the vertical pieces of the scallop, to support the entire lower edge of the scallop plywood? May want some to keep the joint between the scallop plywood and the shelf from possibly opening up.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

TomB

Post by TomB » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:40 pm

Thanks.

Pete, you caught me! There are four little pieces to finish out the blocking at the lower edge of the plywood. I left them out to give myself a little access for encapsulation. They will go in with the second coat.

Tom

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:24 pm

Thought you had that covered, but second set of eyes and all. Your design is really going to look sharp. The transom corners will be fun, you've got a great start.

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sat Aug 26, 2017 4:33 pm

That's turning out really nice!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

DonnD

Post by DonnD » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:51 pm

Very creative Tom. Thrilled that you are giving it a go and will continue to follow with great interest.

Donn

TomB

Post by TomB » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:27 am

The corner boards seem simple enough. All they do is follow the side and transom curves while also covering the planking end-grain.

While I can see the line easily enough, shaping a board has turned out to be a challenge. The first attempt to build out the corner looked good. A boat-mare (nightmare about the boat) left my wondering how to attach a corner covering board. The first attempt went in the burn pile! Four more attempts...a growing burn pile.

This is the sixth attempt. It will show about 1" on the transom and 1 1/2" on the side.
transom 170905 1.JPG
The corner board was cut oversized and shaped to follow the curves. The board sets proud of the frame by the thickness of the planking plus a little for fairing after planking. After I was satisfied with the curve and fit, 3/4" of the forward edge was cut away and then moved toward the CL to give a landing place for side planking.

The guard will cover the joint and the screws between the two corner pieces.
transom 170905 2.JPG
Backing to catch the end of transom planking is attached to the battens.
transom 170905 3.JPG
The battens, blocking and corners will be removed before the transom is flipped and hung on the frame. Then the bottom and side battens will be installed. And finally, the transom corner pieces can be re-assembled and faired. I hope I can lift it.

Tom

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:29 pm

This is really an amazing piece of work Tom, your dedication to getting it right is going to pay off in a real head turner when finished. The bar here on the forum keeps going up! :D :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:47 pm

WOW. Stunning, this will look great!

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:00 pm

You're ingenuity and craftsmanship is astounding.

Give me a call if you need a hand installing it.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Return to “Hankinson designs”