Tom's Tahoe

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

neel thompson

Re: Tom's Tahoe

Post by neel thompson »

Sounds good Tom.... I think.... I like the new verb !!

TomB

Post by TomB »

Down to 10 holes, all aft and near the shear. There is a little tumblehome back there and the epoxy is resistant to flowing up hill into those last few holes. One more try and then it will be some kind of paste, sanding dust mixed with epoxy probably. Got the starboard side sanded today so I could see a jillion little holes....I wasn't as fussy with the sanding this time, taking off the sags and drips, but not going for perfect. Going for perfect takes a lot longer.

In other news, I switched from the 3M gold sandpaper to Norton Blue Ice for long board and the air file. The Norton paper seems sharper/more aggressive and doesn't load as much (more done and less work)...Sad state of affairs when you become a connoisseur of sandpaper. :( :(

Tom

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

".Sad state of affairs when you become a connoisseur of sandpaper. :( :( "

Amen to that!!! and you have double the amount to sand than I did!

jenko

Post by jenko »

Tom try using a dab of epoxy and a clear small suction cup like the ones they use for windscreen chips

TomB

Post by TomB »

jenko wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:36 am
Tom try using a dab of epoxy and a clear small suction cup like the ones they use for windscreen chips
Another good tip. Thanks.

Down to 5 holes and they are getting smaller so they got Thompson'd...again. Almost there...on one side.

Bought the plans from Glen-L, no extra charge for the lessons in patience and persistence. :D :D :D

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB »

The last 5 holes on the port side...technically ready for finish...more on that later.

The transom is almost there, a little more epoxy here and there.

The starboard side is getting sanded and sanded. Another coat of epoxy would fill a lot of holes and require more sanding. I think I will just go to filling holes. :D :D

The gloss of the epoxy makes every imperfection stand out whether holes or sags, but also dips or bumps in fairing. I found a few dips starboard side dips that were created while sand off epoxy squeeze out after planking. I thought I had them fixed during fairing, a little extra while epoxy coating, almost there. I am thinking about coating both sides when I think its done to confirm its done...then more sanding...or maybe just hope for the best and repair if needed during final finish?

The spray rails are waiting for more attention. They follow the chine from near the stem to near the stern. I changed the rectangular profile tapering them a little on the top and then rounded over the outside edge so they aren't quite as bulky looking. At the stem end I planed/taper the inside of the rails so they could be bent a little easier to follow the chines. The rails will attach with countersunk screws every 6", lots of bungs in my future. The bottom of the rails will be shaped/optimized after the rails are mounted (maybe on and off a few times before they are finally caulked in place).

I am contemplating two bottom paint schemes, paint to the design waterline (blue tape line) or paint to the waterline aft with the paint following the spay rail forward (masking tape line).
IMG_0245.jpg
What do you think?

I would like to mount the spray rails before the flip. But the sequence isn't set. Should I finish the hull, mount the spray rails, and then finish the rails? (best approach for rails that may be replaced?) Or should I mount them soon, caulk them and bung them and then paint everything? (easiest, no question) Or should I put on a couple of coats of finish and then mount the spray rails and catch up on the finish?

Tom

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Personally I like the paint following the water line. I did most of my sanding, then attached the spray rails. They aren't fully stained yet. I will do that when I get ready to finish the bright work on the sides.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

TomB

Post by TomB »

DrBryanJ wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:16 am
Personally I like the paint following the water line.
Hey Bryan, half the time I agree!!! The other half... :D :D :D

I could follow the waterline now and change my mind later and add bottom paint at the stem. Not sure I could take off the bottom paint above the waterline if I changed my mind after going the other way.

This is the image that has me thinking.
bottom paint.jpg
This is VanDam's Susan C taken at the Traverse City Cherry Festival. The bottom paint follows the waterline aft and is up a little at the stem. I think the little silver circle just ahead of the spare tire is a bow thruster (everybody needs one of those).

Tom

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

HI Tom,
I like it. It looks good on that boat. Perhaps a more modern look than the straight waterline that I often see. I owned a runabout with the same treatment of the waterline.
Pic below:
Jim
Attachments
20181012_162531_001.jpg
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

TomB

Post by TomB »

Hmm,

One for the waterline and one for up at the bow. No wonder I like it both ways...Still have nine or ten little spots that need a dab of epoxy.

The weight of the boat trying to wedge through the cradle is significant so I will probably add more screws. Then the cradle is ready to go if the boat ever gets flipped.
IMG_0283.jpg
IMG_0284.jpg
The spray rails have been fitted. The bottom edge (top in the photo) is 8* from horizontal. Time to take them off and encapsulate.

Tom

TomB

sanded grit before paint

Post by TomB »

All the little holes are filled!!!

I masked around the spray rails and then pulled them off and encapsulated the mating side. I am hoping that the masking tape will keep the bedding mess to a minimum. The caulk is somewhere in holiday traffic, hope to put the rails on one last time this weekend and then bung and encapsulate the sides that show. Oh, and more sanding...to clean up the rails.

The hull epoxy has been sanded to 80 grit and wiped down. There is still some imbedded dust and sanding tracks. Interlux Perfection Plus will be used on the sides and Interlux VC Performance Epoxy will be used below the waterline. Do I need to sand it further, 120 grit? 220? How smooth is too smooth to provide enough "tooth" for adhesion?

Tom

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Tom

VC Performance goes on pretty thick. I think 80 grit is all you need.

Perfection Plus is thin, by my memory. Check the cans. A little finer grit may be needed.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TomB

Post by TomB »

I should have mentioned that I plan to thin the bottom paint 5-10% (hoping that it will lay down a little better rolling and tipping).

I took a look at the Interlux Instructions...(I was desperate)

VC Performance "Clear Epoxy...80 grade (grit) paper". That Bill knows his stuff! :D :D

Perfection Plus "Previously Painted Surfaces...Abrade with 320-400 grade (grit) paper. Bare Wood...finally 320 grade paper".

So I'm ready on the bottom at 80. While less definitive, it looks like 320 for the sides. More sanding.

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB »

My boat is being built in the basement. It's nice working in a conditioned space. There are drawbacks too, noise, dust...I schedule noisy tasks for when I'm home alone and dust is just a persistent battle which I can't win but sometimes fight to a draw. My bride is mostly understanding...

Today I finished the ninth coat of Interlux VC Performance Epoxy (one gallon) on the bottom. That stuff really stinks. Two windows open, one with a box fan blowing out into the snow and the house still smells like a paint booth. My bride is mostly not understanding...

I rolled and tipped to put down three coats - flattened, three coat - flattened, and the final three coats. It will be semigloss with fine brush marks if I leave it as is. I would like to sand out the brush marks and get to a uniform sheen (less than glossy). Is that a good idea or even possible?

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB »

It seemed safest to go with bottom paint to the design waterline. I can bring the paint up at the stem without too much effort if/when I change my mind (again) later.
IMG_0286.jpg
I like the way the paint feels slippery and after the flip and from a couple of feet away it looks ok. After the boat goes in the water I will mark the actual waterline, touch up the bottom paint on the sides and add a boot stripe. I figure this is my last chance for a really smooth bottom.

I set up a light to highlight the brush marks and the transom sanded to 600. 600 is smooth enough except for fine scratches. I think 800-1000 will be smooth enough and shiny enough but not too shiny.
IMG_0289.jpg
Tom

Return to “Hankinson designs”