Tom's Tahoe

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Tony Hain

Re: Tom's Tahoe

Post by Tony Hain »

Tom
It feels a real milestone when you get the bottom painted. Is that the undercoat or are you going with a white bottom. I am leaving finishing off the bootstrap until after I have mine in the water to see where the actual water line falls. Great job and I love your transom steps.
Tony
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

TomB

Post by TomB »

Thanks Tony. I am REALLY looking forward to the flip. It's still a ways off, in addition to bottom paint, at least a couple of coats of side varnish, and mounting of the water intake, rudder port, and prop strut. White is the bottom color, in real life it is cream. After I get the finish finished I'll take a photo with a piece of copy paper to show the difference. Tom

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

It looks great. It's easy to get fixated on the bottom paint but the fact of the matter is you won't be looking at it much after the flip.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

TomB

Post by TomB »

hoodman wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:36 pm
It's easy to get fixated on the bottom paint but the fact of the matter is you won't be looking at it much after the flip.

Thanks Matt. You've got that right, fixated! Pay attention to the smallest of the small detail until you're watching nothing.

I took out the brush marks today...still haven't learned to like sanding...the hull is a dull chalky 400 grit dead flat white...a few shadows where the paint is thin...I may just buff it up and call it "close enough".

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB »

I decided to go ahead with another coat of paint. Thinning 10%, roll and tip over a 320 grit gave me the closest so far to laying down a paint surface without brush marks...

The paint job described above on the left side, the right side is sanded to 1000 grit.
IMG_0290.jpg
Both sides sanded to 1000.
IMG_0291.jpg
There are a few "pig tails" and a few hazy spots that would benefit from a few more hours of 1000 grit...When the Queen is setting on her trailer it might be a problem, until then, Close Enough!

I'm switching to finishing the bright work.

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB »

After all the sanding fuss and worry... the first coat of finish gives me goose bumps.
190218stem 1st coat varnish.jpg
Tom

Evan

Post by Evan »

wow...

It looks like you put a lot of time into matching up the grain too.

Ibrew2be

Post by Ibrew2be »

Tom, it looks fabulous.

Could you please remind us what kind of wood you used for the planking?

Barry
Barry Shantz

Imp built and launched.

Currently building Ken Bassett's Rascal

GregHall

Post by GregHall »

Wow!
Building a Barrelback in Rome, Ga.
Never fly with anyone braver than you.
Never run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas at the same time.
www.youtube.com/c/austringercreations

TomB

Post by TomB »

Thanks guys.

Barry, I ordered African Mahogany. Several of the boards came from the same tree and I was able to get enough for most of the side planking. I like the color and I'm almost sure it's mahogany and African maybe.

I'll need more for the decking and really should go to the yard and have them show me how to tell one from the other. Hope it's not "We can't tell either. The red painted ends are this and the blue ends are that, and the green ends are something else." :roll: :roll:

Tom

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Hell yeah! That will put a smile on your face!
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

TomB

Post by TomB »

Hey Matt, I was all smiles...then I noticed all the sags and bumps. The glossy finish highlights everything.

I shaved the high spots and sags with a cabinet scrapers, worked well. Sanding not so much, the Perfection Plus cures slowly (24 hours and not hard enough to sand). Staying off it until it is ready to sand is a challenge. This morning I sanded and flattened with 320. The extra time made a big difference. I spread the second coat a little thinner. It still flattened out well with only a couple of small sags. Back to smiles. :mrgreen:

Tom

kens

Post by kens »

Very nice, congrats
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Beautiful, all the fuss over the bottom paint is long forgotten.
Matt B

Return to “Hankinson designs”