Tom's Tahoe

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

mrintense

Re: Tom's Tahoe

Post by mrintense » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:43 am

Wow Tom,

This build just gets more and more special. Really, really nice installation. Those are some of the cleanest exhaust tips I've seen yet. I am afraid that when you get to boating, you are never going to get on the water because so many people are going to be looking at this beauty and asking millions of questions!! :D :D :D
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:42 am

Does your exhaust have "selective sound"?
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

TomB

Post by TomB » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:04 am

Thanks Guys. The exhaust tips seemed huge coming out of the box and I almost sent them back, glad I didn't.
JimmY wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:42 am
Does your exhaust have "selective sound"?
My neighbor had a boat with a selective exhaust, through mufflers or direct exhaust, loud and my ears are ringing. I opted for the muffler only.

Tom

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:26 am

Hi Tom
Great exhaust system. So clean and simple. I'll be running my exhaust out the side but further back and only on one side as I am running a catalytic motor with only one exhaust outlet. It just seemed simpler than splitting the system. Could you post the site for your exhaust tips please.
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

TomB

Post by TomB » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:10 pm

Tony,

It is surprising how long it takes me to find the simple solution. I like to try ALL the other ones first. :roll: :roll:

I got the tips from www.greatlakesskipper.com although I can't find them on the site today. They were described as "Sea Ray Boat Exhaust Tips | 300 SLX Corsa 11524P 11524S (Set of 2)" I also saw some great side tips at https://www.cpperformance.com/c-465-side-exit-tips.aspx. They seem to sell in pairs. Maybe you'll put a false one on the other side? like some autos.

Tom

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:14 pm

Tony

Butch Barto has side exhaust also. Maybe touch base with him too.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:18 pm

Thanks Bill. Yes I have a site from Butch and they will sell single tips. Tom, being on the side I won't worry about a false tip on the other side. Logic being you will only see one side at a time. If I was going to run them out the back I would have split them, so as to have some symmetry. A bit Obsessive Compulsive I know! But on the Tahoe it is getting a bit crowded at the back with the rudder and large fuel tank.
Tony Hain

TomB

Post by TomB » Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:31 pm

Sorry Tony,

My inner "wise guy" slipped past the editor again. :oops: You are wise not to put an unnecessary hole in the boat.

Speaking of crowded at the back, where are you putting your bilge blower and cowl vents.

Tom

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:36 pm

Tom,
Undecided about the bilge blowers. Probably mount the blowers in the engine compartment and run ducting down the sides to the aft section. As far as cowls probably 2 forward and 2 back on the engine compartment with 2 back facing on the stern but open to advice. Being held up by the tiller arm. They only had 1 inch while my rudder post is 1 1/8. Have been waiting 8 weeks for them to bore it out. Once I have it I can moved on to the tank and drop the motor in for final measurement of the prop shaft and finalise my exhaust.
Tony Hain

TomB

Post by TomB » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:02 pm

I've been working on everything at once...fuel system, bilge blower and pumps, deck framing, floor framing, seats, dash. All that jumping around is exhausting.

Took a break and finished the cooling water system.
IMG_0375.jpg
strainer.jpg
The muffler was held up by the stiffness and geometry of the exhaust hoses and rests very close to the transmission cooling line (the brass bit on the top of the transmission), not so good. I added supports off the stringers to keep the exhaust and cooling line separate. The strainer is mounted on a bracket off the exhaust support.

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:03 pm

Still plodding along. In the spirit of working on everything at once I called a couple of boat upholstery guys. I know they're busy. No response to the left message with one, and "we can fit you in in a couple weeks after forever, if that works for you" from the other. I bought a used sewing machine. It looks like the zig-zag Sailrite machine except for color and name plate. Apparently, they get separated at birth in the factory.
Marketplace - Heavy duty sewing machine.jpg
If the upholstery doesn't turn out I can probably still get the seats done in the next millenium. :wink:

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:53 pm

The deck is faired and the cover boards are started. The boards have a rabbet on the underside to cover the plywood sub-deck. The plywood will be fitted next.
IMG_0410.jpg
There are three scarfs and I wanted them to be little different.
IMG_0411.jpg
Tom

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:32 pm

Tom,

I bought one of them machines, does straight and zig zag.

It is one tough little bugger! Will se through 5 x thick marine vinyl and the foam no problems.

I am doing pleated seats with hidden stitching with a piping in between the pleated and smooth vinyl.

Marked out and worked out how many on the foam (see pics).

I love doing this part.

Jamie
Attachments
IMG_4071.jpg
IMG_3913.jpg
IMG_3903.jpg

Aussie

Post by Aussie » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:32 pm

few more pics.

Jamie
Attachments
IMG_3920.jpg
IMG_3918.jpg
IMG_3916.jpg

TomB

Post by TomB » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:51 pm

Thanks for posting Jamie, you are doing what I have in mind. Time will tell if my doing is half as good. Tom

Return to “Hankinson designs”