Tom's Tahoe

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Gayle Brantuk

Re: Tom's Tahoe

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Wow Tom, that cutwater is beautiful! And, thanks for the good virus laugh from you and Bill--much appreciated!

TomB

Post by TomB »

Thanks Gayle.

To add a little to the virus saga.

Pennsylvania does something, then Ohio, then Michigan. Yesterday, Ohio shut down everything, and then this morning Michigan's governor announced a press conference at 11. I call the polish guy and he's still working so I dropped off the cutwater at 9:30, the Governor announced Michigan's closure, and I picked it up the polished cutwater at 2:30. The polish guys closed their doors at 3, not good for about 30 people and their families. The cutwater wasn't quite as shiny as my hat, now it is.

Consistent with the Govenor's orders, I'll also add black-out shades on the windows.

Tom

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Yes, we're on "self-quarantine" too and all non-essential businesses are supposed to be closed. So, we're staying open because our business is quite essential to us! Of course, it's the same people that are at the office as at home, so there's that. This past weekend on one of my walks of the neighborhood, I don't recall seeing so many people outside their homes before. Gardening, cleaning the garage, walking, even entire families--quite enjoyable. I even met a neighbor that I didn't know--at a 6 foot distance of course. Praying this will end soon...

TomB

Post by TomB »

Similar experience here.

My weld guy, Jim, works by himself so he is spending his evenings at his home with a bedroom and his days at his home with welding machines.

We went to our local park for a walk in the woods and on the beach. We rarely see anyone on the trails this early in the spring, the parking lot was overflowing with more people than a summer holiday weekend! Interesting times.

My daughter is concerned with my ability to maintain social distancing. She suggest I shave one of my eyebrows. That aught to work on a number of different levels.

Tom

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

They've shut down many of our beaches here for that very reason and our pier! That eyebrow thing sounds interesting :)

TomB

Post by TomB »

Gayle,

I may have put the wrong picture in your mind's eye, this isn't like spring break.

We went to the park again today. The parking lot was full again, middle of the week and there aren't any leaves on the trees yet, very unusual. The parking lot probably holds 150 cars. But the park is 1000 acres, the beach is 1.5 miles from the parking lot and the beach is 2.5 miles long. So where I don't usually see anybody mid-week, now I'm seeing 20-30 people during my 5 miles in the park...the world is closing in. :D :D I'm happy see them getting out in nature.

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB »

I've been working at the forward end of the cockpit, working on some of life's most challenging questions!

How close to the steering wheel should the seat be? (I know, put in a sliding base and move on.)

Where should the throttle control mount?

Front speaker location?

Should there be a bulkhead and if so where?

If there is a bulkhead, how do you get access forward?

What's the height of the armrest? How wide? Where's the cupholder?!

Footrest? What angle?

How do you cover that little wedge of hull just below the speaker?

IMG_0570.jpeg
Today was the first time it all pieces seemed to come together.

Tom

JimmY

Post by JimmY »

Sounds like fun, and it is looking good!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Hi Tom,
Looking good! In answer to your questions, I took measurements from my truck and car to get angles and heights for the seat and steering wheel placement. For the throttle control, look at pictures of manufactured boats, and then pick what is comfortable to you. On the bulkhead, I put a hinged door so I could store stuff in the bow area of the boat. I ran flooring up in the bow area to keep the stuff out of the bilge. Pic below.
Jim
Attachments
front seat in place
front seat in place
picture of bulkhead door
picture of bulkhead door
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain »

Funny Tom,
They're exactly the same questions I've been wrestling with on my Tahoe for the last month or so. I'll get around to posting some photos soon.
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Not too many of us build movable seats so I also use my truck as a starting point for seat measurements. An important measurement for me is the seat bottom to cover board distance, this is the all important elbow out the window driving with two fingers on the wheel dimension. 1950’s cars have a good elbow out the window feel, it’s about 17-18 inches for me. To achieve this, the seat has to sit pretty low to the floor.
As far as seat angle, Seat bottom is at a 15 degree angle up from the floor and the seat back reclines about 5 degrees past 90. I also angle the front frame of the seat about 15 degrees so your heels can tuck under the seat just a little.
Matt B

TomB

Post by TomB »

Matt, I started the seat geometry using Ken's dimensions and this automotive geometry graphic
seat geometry.jpg
and then I moved the seat in my truck to match. :D Then I mocked it up using scrap lumber to test the elbow on the rail feel, steering wheel to belly distance and whether I could gracefully get into a seat 9" off the floor. All good but the graceful part.

Tony, I've been wrestling this for about 6 weeks, although in truth it probably goes back to when I arranged the gage cluster and thought about where my eyes might be in relation to steering wheel and dash angle and all that.

Jim, I had planned to put the throttle about where you did but I have a frame there so it had to move back and then the seat got in the way and it had to move up. I kind of like it high like it is so I can control the throttle without lifting my elbow off the rail. :lol: :lol: My door slides and will have a pressed cane center panel similar to some of the Rivas.

Tom

Aussie

Post by Aussie »

Tom

I messed around with angles for steering wheel and seat, heights etc for a few days until I felt what was comfortable for me(remember you will be the one doing most of the driving)

I also made the seat base with some angle as well so ya bum sits back in the seat.

Throttle control on mine is in a great functional position and is so easy and comfortable to drive.

Everything is built to suit me for driving but is still good for the wife also.
Attachments
BC9EDC25-3625-4429-AFEC-2AA5B2CB9F5C.jpeg
F1810AB7-044B-41C7-A544-8322A63C574C.jpeg

Ejreilly1

Post by Ejreilly1 »

Good afternoon, My name is Eddie, I am brand new to the Glen L forum. First, all of your boats are absolutely beautiful. I have been a real admirer of the mahogany runabouts for some time. I am an avid woodworker hobbyist. And wanted to begin the process of building a Mahagony runabout. I love the Boesch style boats with the sunbed and was wondering if anyone could help me find the closest plans to these style European boats. Is the Tahoe the closest? Looks very similar to me with the exception of the third row vs. sunbed . Thanks and any help would be greatly appreciated,
Eddie (NY)

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk »

Welcome to the Forum, Eddie! If you're looking for a Riva type design, I think the Tahoe is closest. One of our builders in Holland did a sunbed and really changed the layout of this design and sent quite a few photos: https://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/tahoe-d ... in-holland

Our builders are truly amazing, that's for sure!

Return to “Hankinson designs”