Tom's Tahoe

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

mickfly

Re: Tom's Tahoe

Post by mickfly »

Thanks for the tip on the "foam by mail." I had five boxes arrive yesterday and within two hours had filled all spaces between frames, I spent more time than that chopping "pourable" foam out of places I didn't want it! I found that liquid foam to be like eating mentos, drinking coke and trying to control the distribution! I still have to figure out ways to distribute the rest of the foam, but I have stainless fender washers and screws on the way...which should make it easy to find places for additional foam placement.

Mick
Completed builds:
Guillemot kayak (16 ft, 2001)
Pygmy Double Kayak (20 ft, 2003)
Skin-on-frame kayak (17 ft, 2011)
Glen-L 15 (15 ft, 2008)
Glen-L Key Largo, Hankinson Design (20 ft, 2021)
TomB

Post by TomB »

Thanks Roberta. I’m used to tiller and hydraulics. I couldn’t come up with a reasonable tiller. :lol:

Jim, the personal touches take forever, think a little, sketch a little, dream about it, mock something up, think some more, go for it. When it is time for sanding or vacuuming, I usually work on personal touches for at least a day or two.

Thanks Lee. The speedo has GPS and the tach has an hour meter. The boy scout compass goes under the seat. :D

Hey Mick, I’m glad the foam is working out for you. The foam in place approach is a little too “science experiment” for me. I’m sure it works well for others, just not my thing.

Thanks for the kind words Kyle. The inspiration belongs to this forum. Ideas, advice, pictures, descriptions, and patient explanations, I very much appreciate all the help.

Now that the steering is done, I’ve shifted attention to the back of the boat. The fuel fill, tank, lines, vent, and wiring, all done! Bilge pumps and blower? Done! Even the seat back support is in. This stuff has been in and out a thousand times, finally. The rod for the lifting eye is about 2” too long. The lifting eye is next.
IMG_0673.jpeg
A battery sized box is on the port side as a place holder. Final wire routing will be done after the seat base has been installed.

Tom
Tahoe 23, 2022
Building Rosita
mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Nice work Tom,

I'm curious because I never noticed it before, is the white item in the back of the boat a custom fuel tank. It looks tailor made for the boat.

I agree with your sentiment about the pourable foam. Too many horror stories about it exceeding the boundaries of the area its added to. I think that using pourable foam like Roberta did where she molded it outside the boat is a better approach if you use pourable. But I think I prefer the dry foam blocks which can easily be manipulated to fit. I am going to have to do that sometime next year as well.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise - "Can Do!"
Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Using the foam blocks is great. I poured the expanding foam in plastic tubs. The blocks released with little effort. The expanding foam is closed cell, which resists absorbing moisture. When you use blocks from pre-made foam, get foam that is closed cell.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".
Built SeaRey and RV-7A
TomB

Post by TomB »

Carl,

The white thing is a Moeller fuel tank. I don't remember what brand of boat it was designed for. Great Lakes Skipper sells a wide range of parts for a wide range of boat (surplus parts, I think). It was the closest I could find, 18 months ago, to the tank space. The custom fit comes from modifying the space to fit the tank. It goes in with a shoe horn and everything around it barely fit. I have a 4" bilge blower and hose that wouldn't fit above the tank, fortunately, 3" hose works.

Tom
Tahoe 23, 2022
Building Rosita
mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Well you did a great job matching the tank up to the stern area.
Carl

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

It's amazing what you can find at Great Lakes Skipper. I got upholstery, seats, a bimini top, a trailer for the Zip, carpet, ignition and wiring stuff, and other things. They have many new items that were meant for production boats that the boat mfgs over bought. And it you live in SEWISCONSIN, they are in Racine.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".
Built SeaRey and RV-7A
TomB

Post by TomB »

Thanks Carl. I didn't realize how tight it would be until I had to get everything in there, glad it worked out.

I've gotten a lot of other stuff from Great Lakes Skipper too. Racine is only about 90 mile from me, 89 of them are wet. :D so I do my shopping on their web site. They sell just about everything except the hull.

I had a small setback today. I wanted to locate cupholders in the armrests. Gotta have 'em. The issue is coordination of the throttle, cup holder/beverage can, and my elbow. I hadn't cycled the throttle since the panel it is mounted in was installed. When I ran the lever through its range of motion it jammed, wouldn't come out of gear, throttle up ok but wouldn't shift into neutral. Turns out the final location of the throttle cables was being interfered with by a batten. At both limits all was clear, in the middle not so much. The cupholder saved me a lot of work. Otherwise I would have installed the interior and been on the water when I found the problem. A stumble prevents a fall.

Tom
Tahoe 23, 2022
Building Rosita
TomB

Post by TomB »

The rear seat arm rests and seat front are in and the seat board and back are ready for foam.
IMG_0675.jpeg
Yikes, no room for cupholders. I have three ideas: go without; or put them is the middle, like a console, changing seating from a cozy three to a comfortable two; or put them in the bench at the back of the motor (just outside the picture). I know which one is easiest. What is current thinking, do I need them?

Tom
Tahoe 23, 2022
Building Rosita
TomB

Post by TomB »

Another question. The battery is under the rear seat on the port side. I have a fuse and battery switch to install next to the battery. Is it ok to put the switch under the seat or should it be located in the upper corner of the seat base front so it can be accessed without lifting the seat?

Tom
Tahoe 23, 2022
Building Rosita
Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Tom

My main switches face outside the seat. The main fuse is inside the seat. I don't remember why I did it that way 12 years ago. :? :lol: :wink:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build
mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Nice nice work on the seating arrangements. I would say that cupholders are a must. You'll regret not putting them in. So no room in the side armrests? Perhaps the foldout kind although they may not right in such a beautiful interior.

I too am trying to figure out what to do about the battery switch. The main access to my battery compartment would be the idea spot from a location standpoint, but the access panel is going to be removable, so mounting the switch to that panel is not really an option. I am considering mounting it up higher but then it will be visible whenever I eventually build up the trim for the aft cockpit. Still thinking that one through.

I would say for yours, that you want the switch where you can get to it without a major hassle. Perhaps behind a small access door?
Carl

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

Dont think Id sacrifice a seat for cup-holders but I would have cupholders. Also, its nice to have a place to put your hat and/or sweatshirt/jacket storage. This is one amazing work of art, I cant wait to see it!
neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Tom... Just a thought on cupholders: In the front cockpit of my Gentry I found two cup holders that retracted into the front vertical panel of the seat. They actually swiveled out and in. I don't know where I got them, but they weren't expensive and did the job. I installed them side by side in the middle of the panel.
TomB

Post by TomB »

Bill Edmundson wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:09 pm Tom

My main switches face outside the seat. The main fuse is inside the seat. I don't remember why I did it that way 12 years ago. :? :lol: :wink:

Bill
I'm with you Bill, I decided I wanted a switch last year, don't know why, never had one before, something new I guess. Now that I've got it, gotta use it I guess. I just don't want to look at it. If you are in a hurry, out in the open is the way to go. I wonder how this will turn out aesthetics or practicality.

Tom
Tahoe 23, 2022
Building Rosita

Return to “Hankinson designs”