Tom's Tahoe

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

TomB

Re: Tom's Tahoe

Post by TomB »

Hmm. Ok, I guess I need cupholders. I have the drop in kind. I see a fold down type https://www.rvandvansurplus.com/Folding ... p_229.html and a swing out type https://www.rvandvansurplus.com/Swing-O ... p_231.html. Neel, was this something like what you mentioned? Price range from $4 for a cheap plastic model to $150 for a really snazzy swing out model. (Then there are the power versions like on my old office computer. The IT guy said it was for a compact disk but it held a full size mug just fine. :lol: :lol: )

I started on the seat to get a feel for the stuff and to help visualize the disconnect switch and cupholder location problem.
IMG_0677.jpeg
I used the band saw to cut the foam, worked very well. I am going to try course grit paper on the RO sander for smoothing.

The seat back will attach with a pair of French cleats and be held down by a couple of pieces of velcro. Pull the bottom of the seat back toward you and then lift for removal.

The seat bottom will be latched at the front. To remove, unlatch and slide it forward about 3" and lift.
IMG_0678.jpeg
The vertical panels for the bench at the rear of the motor have been installed. The bench will have three hatches for access to the water strainer and for storage. There is room to set on the bench on either side of the engine cover with about 12" of seat depth behind the engine. I could put cupholders where they're shown in the photo. A swing out cupholder would go into the vertical face of the bench. A folding cupholder would go onto the base of the armrests.

Tom
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

Aussie

Post by Aussie »

Tom,

To shape the foam I marked on both side of leading edge 1” in,
Cut that off with a bread knife and then used the coarse mesh style sand paper on a rubbing block to round the edges, worked well.

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Tom... Everything looks great. Those are the exact cup holders I had in my Gentry. You might want to step up a notch or two to get better quality, but they do work and are out of the way when not in use.

TomB

Post by TomB »

It's been a while. Foam and cupholders are on the back burner for now. I've been installing ceilings with some difficulty. Carpet and foam backed fabric take up more space than anticipated making everything very tight. Now its time to put in the helm armrest and the ceiling panel below and then the footrest. Suddenly :shock: :shock: :shock: it occurred to me that the windshield will need to be anchored somehow...behind the ceiling panel. So all is stopped until the windshield gets figured out.

The basic idea is to be similar to a Riva or CC Cobra windshield.
IMG_0620.jpeg
IMG_0623.jpeg
Tom

TomB

Post by TomB »

I used the bill of my cap to make a basic profile and scaled it up to boat size. Then I used a heat gun to bend 1/2" PVC pipe to fit the profile and wrapped it with Ram Board.
IMG_0688.jpeg
IMG_0689.jpeg
IMG_0690.jpeg
The center support is 90* to the profile so the channel for the glass would be square with the profile. My welder neighbor is coming over later in the week to have a look...probably tell me I'm nuts.

Tom

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Tom: She is looking really nice. Good luck with the windscreen. Looks very challenging, but seeing your other work, I'm sure you are up to the task. I'm upholstering panels for the ceilings. How much space would you say I need for material where the panel butts up against something like the frame, 1/8" 1/4"?
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

TomB

Post by TomB »

Hey Bryan,

I wrapped the ceiling panels with foam backed fabric and stapled the fabric to the backside of the ceiling panels. The panels are notched at the bottom for clearance at the frame gussets and at the top for deck beams. The gussets are carpeted. I allowed 1/8" for each piece of fabric, so at the gussets, carpet and fabric fore and aft and on top of the gusset lead me to size the notch 1/4" larger than the gusset in each direction. Vertically its two layer of carpet, and two layers of fabric reducing the height of the ceiling panel by 4/8". What I didn't account for was any folds in the fabric or carpet. There is a bulkhead at the front and three panels down the side, any error meant an error everywhere. Not being perfect, I have tight spots everywhere. I should have used 5/32" or 3/16". Your milage may vary.

Tom

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Thanks Tom. I will not have any carpeting to deal with only have to worry about around frame gussets and where it butts against the bulkhead and seat bracket. Currently have 1/8" space. I think I'll increase it to 1/4.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

It's inspiring to see the elegant solutions folks come up with to solve problems! That windshield is going to look cool...a perfect fit with the rest of the build.

Mick

Return to “Hankinson designs”