Tom's Tahoe

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Brad Tucker

Re: Tom's Tahoe

Post by Brad Tucker » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:41 am

:lol: I can't take credit for it because I came across it building guitars. Dye makes the grain "pop." If you aren't glassing above the WL, you should be good to go in my opinion. Bury that seam in the bootstripe! And Do NOT use uprights on your trailer. I did, and had to load with a quartering 20kt tailwind. I can show you the wave height on my port hull. She has a nice undulating dent, running from the windshield to amidships from said upright. The only fix is to take that side down to the wood and redo it. Would be much easier without a glass cloth underlayment. So for now, I will happily call it a war wound and leave as is. :lol:

Just something for future reference!

TomB

Post by TomB » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:00 am

Man - oh - man, Brad. I can only imagine the heartache after you put so much work into the boat. :( :( I wonder if I'll every let my boat out of the driveway if it is ever finished.

I had a trailer with low goal-post style guide-ons. They helped me see the trailer when backing down the ramp to get the boat. As guide-ons they rubbed the hull, not good. I went back to your posts on your trailer and don't see any sort of guide-ons, did you add something similar? I figured I would end up with tall goal-posts that would bang against the rub rails. (The boat is DEFINITELY never leaving the driveway!)

Tom

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:26 am

Well, I built it to use, so it's going to get scuffed. I keep telling myself that, anyway. I did put the goalpost guides on the trailer. They are padded, and they should have been taller. Interestingly, I recall a pro boat restorer mentioning on a vintage boat forum somewhere that those types of guides were good at keeping him busy refinishing boat hulls.

My "incident" was about a worst case scenario. A 20 knot quartering wind into the ramp, an inexperienced inboard driver (me), motor not idling properly, a cement ramp sitting there like Jaws, just waiting for me to miss. With help from friends, we got it straightened up and loaded. Then, after all of that drama and pulling the boat out, the wind went dead calm. :lol: So every mark will have a story.

TomB

Post by TomB » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:54 pm

Finished the planking yesterday. Definitely a milestone. :D :D :D :D
planking complete 2 180930.jpg
planking complete 180930.jpg
Time for sanding. Maybe I should bring on a "Boat Builder - Apprentice/Sander". I would be willing to wave tuition and get the apprentice ready for a career as a sander...or maybe graduating to brass polisher. :lol:

Tom

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:06 pm

Looks nice!
Last edited by Brad Tucker on Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:07 pm

Looks nice with the matched planks. But now, you must take up the sanding cross, because "I farmed that out" is unacceptable! :lol:

mrintense

Post by mrintense » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:26 pm

Wow, really nice Tom. What's you plan of attack for sanding? Looks like you did a top notch job on the spiling. Looking forward to seeing this turned over, especially with that extra special transom you made. Can't wait to see that.

When I first started my Vera Cruise, I was going to skin over the entire plywood hull with veneers like you guys are doing with the woodies. But in the end, I decided to go with a painted hull instead. Given the amount of time I've been at this, I think that was a good decision. I'd probably only be getting to the flip now, otherwise!
Carl
a.k.a. Clipper

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise named "Some Other Time"

Clipper's Vera Cruise Build

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:31 pm

Milestone indeed!

TomB

Post by TomB » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:52 pm

Thanks for the kind words.

Carl...I fared between each layer so the base was reasonably consistent. Then I cut my own veneer layers to get a very consistent thickness. After gluing, there are some minor edge inconsistencies, too much glue underneath or not getting enough pressure on the edge when stapling. I am going over the entire hull with a 6" RO to knock off the high spots. I'm not confident I avoid a wavy surface with the RO so will use a long board to get it flat.

I managed to park the RO in two spots on the bottom and created divots. There are also a couple of areas that don't look quite right along the keel. So I will fill the low spots with epoxy thickened with micro-balloons. The bottom will be glassed and painted so appearance at this point isn't important.

Tom

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:13 pm

Yea, a RO sander feels like it’s doing what you want it to but it’s making potholes everywhere. A long board is the weapon of choice.
Matt B

TomB

Post by TomB » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:31 pm

Making progress...

The valleys made with the RO sander have been filled and flattened. The RO was also used to wipe out the glue lines along the planking.
Sanded portside 181004.jpg
I interviewed a potential apprentice/sander today. He was almost perfect - interested, enthusiastic, intelligent - but it turned out he wasn't quite a nieve as I had hoped. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:57 pm

The three pieces on each side that make the corner between side and transom have also been glued, screwed, and fared to the planking.
Transom corner 181004.jpg
The two plank on the transom will be below the guard (blue line) which will wrap from side to side around the transom. The guard will over the joint between corner pieces. The transom planking above the guard will be installed after the flip. The joint between the two transom planks is the waterline.
Transom corner 2 181004.jpg
The corner above the guard will be fully rounded. Should I fully round the corner below the guard too or just break the sharp edge?

Tom

TomB

Post by TomB » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:11 pm

I am working up my nerve for the drilling of the prop shaft hole. Everything else is located. (The rudder shaft is too long and hits the inside of the transom. It will be cut off when the keyway is cut.). I was casting about the shop trying to find something to stuff in the strut hole for a drill guide. The 1" drum on my Ridgid belt/drum sander is "close enough".
running gear 181004.jpg
Tom

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:50 pm

Tom

I had to cut the rudder shaft a few inches to get mine in. The keyway had to be redone. Thanks to my friends a power Plant Smith north of Panama City FL.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TomB

Post by TomB » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:50 am

I bought the rudder with a shaft longer than I thought I needed and without a keyway, easier to shorten than lengthen and odds are I would have to cut the keyway twice if I guessed.

I will need to find a sympathetic machinist. I worked on the design of my local power plant 40 years ago but I doubt they would let me near the machine shop nor through the front gate. :lol: :lol:

Tom

Return to “Hankinson designs”