Tahoe 23 project, Norway

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Toivo

Re: Tahoe 23 project, Norway

Post by Toivo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:57 am

Thanks again Bill!
Building the Tahoe 23' viewtopic.php?f=15&t=31598

Toivo

Post by Toivo » Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:40 pm

Just a quick sketch of the interior. This is what's in my head right now. Will probably be lots of changes :)
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-08-11-22-37-25.png

Toivo

Post by Toivo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:33 am

Just ordered the plans!
I also purchased the book "boatbuilders notebook". Thought that might come in handy.

Toivo

Post by Toivo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:05 am

I see people mounting spray rails on the outside of the mahogany skin. I did a search and found this https://www.glen-l.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14313 This kind of illustrate what I want. The difference is that I want to integrate the rail to the chine. Question is, will this affect the way the boat moves in the water. I wanna change as little as possible on what's under water on this boat, but I don't like the look of having the spray rails on the outside of the hull.

Is this doable?

EDIT: I believe this is called a reverse chine

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:26 am

Toivo

To do this you would make a wedge (1 or 2 inches wide) and put it on the bottom side of the chine. the bottom side will be parallel to the water surface. Forward of the widest part of the boat it can actually turn down.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Toivo

Post by Toivo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:37 am

Alright! So it should be something like this? (pic) Instead of fairing down the chine so the plywood under the hull meets the plywood on the sides, the plywood should just ble glued to the side of the chine? Should there be plywood to cover the chine (underside) as well for strength?
Attachments
Chine, reverse spray rail.jpg

Brad Tucker

Post by Brad Tucker » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:54 am

The actual chine on the boat is inlet into notches on the frame, and the bottom is screwed to the chine. I think if you attempt to do it like the drawing, the frames on the bottom would have to be modified. That is a rabbit hole you don't want to go down. Just my opinion.

DSR

Post by DSR » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:21 am

Hi Toivo, welcome to the Glen-L club!

I really like the design you drew up for the cockpit. Very nice.

Just my opinion, but I believe that the best way to get the spray chines you want would be by building the hull as designed and adding them after the fact, like soedesh did in the "molded spray rail" post you found (although I would probably build them with wood and epoxy if it were me), instead of modifying the original hull design. They would be a lot easier to modify after the fact if they need to be also.
I believe Bill was intending the same and was focusing on the dimensions and shape of the added spray rails, and I agree with what he was describing.

Thanks
Dave
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

Toivo

Post by Toivo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:24 am

Brad Tucker wrote:The actual chine on the boat is inlet into notches on the frame, and the bottom is screwed to the chine. I think if you attempt to do it like the drawing, the frames on the bottom would have to be modified. That is a rabbit hole you don't want to go down. Just my opinion.
If I have to modify the frames, I won't do it. Think I have to decide when I have made the frames and see how the chine runs along them. I know that the zip has deep notches all the way to the front that the chine goes in to, but I thought the notches on the Tahoe were so shallow that the down facing side of the chine was not in the notches(?)

Toivo

Post by Toivo » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:28 am

DSR wrote:Hi Toivo, welcome to the Glen-L club!

I really like the design you drew up for the cockpit. Very nice.

Just my opinion, but I believe that the best way to get the spray chines you want would be by building the hull as designed and adding them after the fact, like soedesh did in the "molded spray rail" post you found (although I would probably build them with wood and epoxy if it were me), instead of modifying the original hull design. They would be a lot easier to modify after the fact if they need to be also.
I believe Bill was intending the same and was focusing on the dimensions and shape of the added spray rails, and I agree with what he was describing.

Thanks
Dave
Thanks :) Aha. So what Bill means, is making a wedge after the mahogany veneer is done, and then put a mahogany strip into that wedge? As long as I find a solution where the spray rail seems to be integrated to the hull, I'm happy.

Toivo

Post by Toivo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:48 am

Here's a quick sketch of the seats. Inspired by a Van Dam project. I don't wanna go all retro on this project, so Van Dam's boats are also a source for inspiration to me. The dash will also be pretty modern with compound curves.

Next up is windshield :)
Attachments
Skjermbilde 2017-08-13 kl. 13.39.50.png

Toivo

Post by Toivo » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:29 pm

I'm thinking something like this.
The height must of course be adjusted in relation to seating position.
Attachments
Skjermbilde 2017-08-13 kl. 22.28.54.png

DSR

Post by DSR » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:41 pm

Hi Toivo,

I personally like the idea of a modern retro look to the interiors on the classics. It just steers your thoughts to the Van Dams and the Rivas, but it also makes it uniquely yours. Very cool. Very nice illustrations also! :D

Just my opinion, but I would definitely want to put 15-20° angle to the backrests of the seats. The pictures look like the backrests are straight 90° from the seat bottoms? Sitting bolt upright in the seats will get old really quickly, especially in some choppy water.

Just a thought......
Dave
DSR Performance - Home of yet another jet TNT build :D
Codename "Just A Little....."
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=29753

Rich Coey

Post by Rich Coey » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:37 pm

Speaking of Van Dam boats,
A member of our ACBS chapter has three. Check out those, and some other great boats.
https://www.boatiquewines.com/about/boats/

Rich

Toivo

Post by Toivo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:13 am

DSR wrote:Hi Toivo,

I personally like the idea of a modern retro look to the interiors on the classics. It just steers your thoughts to the Van Dams and the Rivas, but it also makes it uniquely yours. Very cool. Very nice illustrations also! :D

Just my opinion, but I would definitely want to put 15-20° angle to the backrests of the seats. The pictures look like the backrests are straight 90° from the seat bottoms? Sitting bolt upright in the seats will get old really quickly, especially in some choppy water.

Just a thought......
Dave
Yes, the seats will be slightly reclined. Don't wanna look too gentleman like :p

Return to “Hankinson designs”