Power for a Monte Carlo

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Steven r

Power for a Monte Carlo

Postby Steven r » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:04 am

Hi
I am in thinking mode at the moment, it started with a barrel back 20ft. Now realising it needs to be a Monte Carlo becouse of the added beam and larger timbers. Engine ideas have changed, it will be diesel powered, how much power does it need to do 50 mph? I have been reminded that in one of the sheds there is a GM 6.2 v8 I brought nearly 20 years ago. With some engine mods and twin turbos ect lots of power. I am thinking B/W box 1.1 the shaft size 1.5inch it will only rev to 3600 rpm. Will the prop pitch enough? Lots of things to think about! Thanks Steve.

Bill Edmundson

Re: Power for a Monte Carlo

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:31 am

Steve

I think a 16"pitch will get you there. I would need more info to get an idea of HP. Right now, I would guess 275 metric HP.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Steven r

Re: Power for a Monte Carlo

Postby Steven r » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:05 am

Bill
This is good news this engine is not high hp but very high in torque. 250hp may be poss, it may need the 6.5. The turbo fits on top of the engine, so some small manafolds a turbo each side would suit nice in the space under engine cover. It is a shame these boats are no good UK waters, we need to wait till we no we can get residency in Portugal lots of lakes.
Steve.

Return to “Hankinson designs”