Swim platform and ski hook on Barrelback

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

DavO

Swim platform and ski hook on Barrelback

Postby DavO » Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:38 pm

Hey, new boat builder here! I am building a 19' Barrelback, and I was thinking of having a swim platform and a ski hook on the boat. I did some searching through the forum, and saw a very nice boat called "Midnight Cry" (love that song!) that had what I want, but I could not see too well what was done, and I could not see the ski hook. Also, does anyone have creative ideas for ski storage? Although I'm not really building this boat for skiing (there are other options that would be better for that), but I do have kids and I would like for that to be an option some time.

Thanks,
DavO

Jimbob

Re: Swim platform and ski hook on Barrelback

Postby Jimbob » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:22 am

I am building a barrelback also. If I ski behind mine, I will use the lift ring to attach the rope to. See the picture below. The lift ring is bolted through the transom with a 1/2 bronze rod. I would think that would be adequate. As far as storage, you could store skis in the engine compartment on top of the exhaust tubes. I made storage areas under the seats for ski vests, ropes etc.
Jim
Attachments
PB090015.JPG
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

TomB

Postby TomB » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:31 am

Welcome to the forum DavO.

Midnight Cry is a beautiful build. I think that is Dave Lott's boat. Searching through his posts might provide additional insight. I like the idea of a flush mounted/pop-up ski pylon. Searching the web for a retractable ski pylon might help you find what you are after.

Plan to reinforce the top and bottom of the pylon below deck. The horizontal loads from pulling multiple skiers out of the hole can get really big.

Tom

psychobilly

Postby psychobilly » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:07 pm

Quick Search in Forum of Pop Up Ski Pylon....

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=30571&p=186407&hilit=Pop+Up+Ski+Pylon#p186407

DavO

Postby DavO » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:57 pm

Thanks for the help. I see a retractable ski pylon on eBay that should work. I like how it looks on the Midnight Cry boat. For now, I am still making frames - just thinking ahead.

jenko

Postby jenko » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:54 pm

I also used the retractable ski pylon .It works well .I needed to add some blocking on the transom frame to fit and that was all that was needed

Return to “Hankinson designs”