Sydney Barrelback 20'

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

StephenG

Sydney Barrelback 20'

Postby StephenG » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:01 pm

Hi folks,
I'm working on a Barrelback 20' and making great progress with all frames attached to the setup jig and getting close to attaching the stem and the keel, however I have a question I am hoping someone will be able to help me with before i get too much further along.

Essentially I want the final build to have the rounded nose rather than the pointed nose which seems to be the standard design. I have attached a few photos of other barrelback's which have the shape I am looking for but I can't work out how to achieve the same result. The breasthook I have fabricated is as per the Hankinson plans (double layer of marine ply epoxied and screwed to the stem). Looking at the images of the finished product it looks like the rounded nose is solid timber and not marine ply... do I need to replace the ply breasthook and use solid timber or do I attach solid timber to the breasthook later on in the build and just round it off as needed?

Thanks in advance... Stephen

23 foot triple -  nice cutwater.jpg
23 foot triple -  front view.jpg

DrBryanJ

Re: Sydney Barrelback 20'

Postby DrBryanJ » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:09 am

Awhile back Bunman built a monaco. He added 2 inches of solid timber along the entire shear. With that he was able to round the nose. Unfortunately, his pictures are all in photobucket and can not be seen any longer.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:36 am

Stephen

I kind of like the bullnose also. On the Tahoe, the breasthook is 2 pieces. The lower piece is notched into the back of the stem. If you changed that to notch from the front, and used solid material for both pieces, then with the cover boards, you should have enough material to make the round.

My deck rolls down at the nose. It was a recovery from a mistake, not in the plans. But, I like it.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:39 am

You are correct that the bull nose is solid wood that was rounded over to make the shape. When you look at how Chris Craft constructed their boats, the basically used a standard hull and they added the thicker cover boards on top of the sheer clamps and made the deck as usual but higher up to be flush and faired with the cover boards. If you can get a copy of Don Danenberg's "The Complete Wooden Runabout Restoration Guide" there are excellent photos and descriptions of how that deck is built and how to make the pieces. I have the plans for the Key Largo, same hull as the Barrelback, and I see this would be a relatively easy thing to do. Essentially you are building the boat with the sheers and planking and breasthook per plan, then install the thicker cover boards in place of the designed ones. It will require moving or widening the deck beams up so the deck planking is flush with the top of the thicker cover boards. Be careful how the deck fairs in to the stern, to maintain the barrelback lines and shape. This may mean the thickness of your cover boards needs to taper down to the design thickness at the stern. This could be a fascinating project! Here is a link to a similar Glen L Barrelback: http://boatbuilders.glen-l.com/barrelba ... ee-florida
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:41 am

Hi Stephen
I downloaded The complete Wooden Runabout Restoration Guide by Dan Danenberg from Kindle.
Lots of good information in that book. If you go to location 3176 in the book there is an example of the nose you are talking about, and how it was constructed. Looks like one big hunk of shaped wood with dowels at the seams. The coverboards and noses on the original boats were made of thick pieces of mahogany that were shaped to the final look. I did just that on the coverboards on my barrelback.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:07 am

Here's a pic I had from a Tahoe boat show that you might want to use for reference. The pic shows how the cutwater and rub rails blend into the nose.
Jim
Attachments
P8080018.JPG
Looks like a 2 piece coverboard.
Jim Neeley

Tony Hain

Postby Tony Hain » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:37 pm

To raise the deck to allow for thicker cover boards, could you mount the deck battons on the deck beams rather than notched into the deck beams. That would give you 5/8 th of an inch if the battons are the same as the Tahoe.
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:28 pm

To raise the deck to allow for thicker cover boards, could you mount the deck battens on the deck beams rather than notched into the deck beams.

You could do something like that, but the deck beams put the athwart ship curved shape into the deck planking (plywood or boards) and it might develop "flat spots" in between the battens. The other problem would be that deck planking is usually screwed to the deck beams as well as battens, so installing the battens on the deck beams makes that not possible. Maybe put pieces of battens on the top edge of the deck beams between the deck battens?
I had considered modifying the deck of my Malahini to make it look "thicker" with the rounded edges at the sheers, using thicker covering boards and then raising the deck planking up. Not much, I was thinking maybe 1" thick covering boards, which meant raising the deck planking up 1/2" above plan (using 1/2" overall thickness of deck planking). That idea lasted about the length of time it took to realized that I would need to modify the top edge of my transom too, but it had already been built. No problem, I will go per plan. Or will I? Hmm...
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

StephenG

Postby StephenG » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:05 am

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions and ideas. I have bought an online version of the Don Danenberg book and it looks to be a fantastic resource with heaps of great guidance and good pictures.

I think I am going to go with the three part solid timber blocks and notch the central piece into the stem with the existing breasthook and then when I flip the boat, put the thicker cover boards on so I can complete the rounded effect.

I'm glad I thought about this now as it would have been very difficult if not impossible to do after the planking was completed and the boat was flipped.
I have also made a mental note to take care when tapering the covering board towards the stern and making sure that the deck planking is flush with the raised height of the covering boards... great advice!! Thank you.

I will load up a few photos shortly too to show how I tackle this.

Cheers,

Stephen

StephenG

Postby StephenG » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:26 pm

Hi folks, I thought you may be interested in how I resolved the rounded nose design for my barrelback, so I have attached a few photos to show you the process and the end result.
I think it looks pretty good but there were a few dud prototypes before I got to this design. I settled on a two piece solution as you will see in the photos...
20171024_223739.jpg
The initial pieces of solid mahogany
20171024_223739.jpg
The initial pieces of solid mahogany
20171025_221102.jpg
Notched and initial shaping
20171026_222742.jpg
Looking closer

StephenG

Postby StephenG » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:31 pm

20171028_183050.jpg
Marking up the stem and breasthook for fitting the new nose
20171102_213100.jpg
Ready to receive the new nose
20171102_213204.jpg
The nose notch and dowel joint

StephenG

Postby StephenG » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:35 pm

20171111_105059.jpg
Bronze silicon screws to attache the nose to the stem
20171111_182841.jpg
Mahogany plugs glued and waiting for finishing
20171226_144659.jpg
The finished product !

jenko

Postby jenko » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:42 am

I like it :)

Roberta

Postby Roberta » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:33 am

Looks great!

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Jimbob

Postby Jimbob » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:17 pm

Nice work! I'm amazed at what you came up with.
Jim
Jim Neeley

Return to “Hankinson designs”