Biscayne 22 vs Belle Isle

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

whsoxfan

Biscayne 22 vs Belle Isle

Post by whsoxfan » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:35 am

Hello Ladies and Fellas

I am considering the Biscayne 22 or the Belle Isle. What is the difference between the two models and how do they differ in handling and performance.

I'd like to attach a swim deck for tubing or water skiing

Thanks for any input, now its off to work

thanks, pat

Bill Edmundson

Re: Biscayne 22 vs Belle Isle

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:10 am

Pat

I don't see much difference in the running surface. The Belle seems to have a little more round transom, barrel. The Biscayne has a little blockier transom. That might but you an 1" or 2" width in the rear cockpit. No handling or performance difference. Just a matter of taste.

On both designs, make the engine hatch as large as possible. Make the engine compartment front and rear bulkheads removable. Be sure you have good access to do maintenance to the shaft log packing.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

cb_build

Post by cb_build » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:59 am

I have seen pictures of the Biscayne 22 with a opening between the two forward cockpits, can the same be done on the Belle Isle?
Chris
St. Louis, MO

billy c

Post by billy c » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:35 am

yes you can. most builders seem to open this up to make 2 front seats with a bench seat in the rear.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Bob Perkins

Post by Bob Perkins » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:00 am

Both are flat bottom at the transom
That means they like flat water
If you will use the boat where there is a lot of chop - you want some 'V' at the transom.
But they are pretty similar otherwise.
Regards,
Bob Perkins

All the Fun Stuff
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:03 am

Belle Isle is an up sized Barrelback, 3 ft longer and 7” wider beam. 7” is a huge difference in beam. I would have built a Belle Isle but build space was max of 20’ so Barrelback was the answer. I’ve never sat in a Barrelback but I know it’s going to be tight.
For my dime and time, I’d build the Belle Isle over the Biscayne for the unmistakable rounded transom. That said, incorporating a swim platform into a barrellback transom will be more challenging.
Either way, you win.
Matt B

Return to “Hankinson designs”