Hello Introduction

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

searay85

Hello Introduction

Post by searay85 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:28 am

Hi all, just purchased the 19' barrel back plans. I'm a seasoned woodworker with several pieces on display in the St Louis, MO area. BUT this is my first boat build and am looking forward to learning from all of you. I grew up on the water and fell in love with the barrel back boats I saw as a kid. Now that I'm retired, will build one for myself. I love a challenge and love boating. I finished a complete restoration of a '85 Sea Ray this year including a new marine engine I built myself. (half $ for what my marina wanted for a remanufactured engine) I bought my first boat @ 16 years of age. I have owned many others since, but once completed, this will be my favorite. I have a neighbor who is also building a Glen-L runabout. His second wood boat. I will use him also as a resource.
...the cure for everything: Salt water....in one form or another. Sweat, tears, or the salt sea. There's nothing that one or all cannot cure.

Jim Hutchinson
OFallon, MO
20' barrelback build

JoeM

Re: Hello Introduction

Post by JoeM » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:02 pm

Welcome to the forum! There are several Barrelback builders that are active on this forum that can give great advice specific to that design and everyone else has so much knowledge and experience to share, so ask away.

If you haven't already I would really recommend the "Boatbuilding with Plywood" book from Glen-L.

I would also put at least a general location so other's can give more localized advice on suppliers and such.

Good luck with your build!
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

Jimbob

Re: Hello Introduction

Post by Jimbob » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:44 am

Welcome!
I am also a seasoned woodworker. I have built fine furniture, turned segmented vessels, and even carved duck decoys. Building a boat is the best experience ever! Lots of variety, challenges, and satisfaction along the way. You build the boat in stages, always looking forward to the next thing to complete. Have fun! Post lots of pictures. We are all here to help.

Jim Neeley
Barrelback Builder
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Return to “Hankinson designs”