cool or cold weather build

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

searay85

cool or cold weather build

Postby searay85 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:36 pm

I am the planning stages of a 20' barrelback build. I research, research, and research before I start a project. Something I do in woodworking is bent wood lamination. The process is done with very thin strip of wood glued with urea resin glue, put into a form, clamped and held there till the glue cures. Urea resin requires Temps above 85. To accomplish this without heating the whole shop, I use inferred lights in brooding lamps hung above the glue up. I don't see why this process couldn't be used in the planking process as well. What say you?
...the cure for everything: Salt water....in one form or another. Sweat, tears, or the salt sea. There's nothing that one or all cannot cure.

Jim Hutchinson
OFallon, MO
20' barrelback build

Jimbob

Re: cool or cold weather build

Postby Jimbob » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:47 pm

Jim,
The epoxy I use has the temperature range on the container. As I recall, it's somewhere around 60 degrees. It will help to speed up the curing process if you heat the epoxy before mixing. Sounds like the lamps would be a good solution. I would call the manufacturer of the epoxy you are using to find out if the lower temperatures would just cause a slower cure, or some other problem.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:13 pm

Jim

I have laminated bent wood railing on the Bartender. I love it even if not perfect. I keep my resin and hardener in a controlled area, about 70*. That gives me a more consistent mix. I've found epoxy will go off! I wrap my tools/brushes and put them in the freezer. I can get two or three uses out of each brush. But, even in the freezer the epoxy will cure in a few days. If you can keep it warm you're good.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Postby 283 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:35 am

I’ve been building my pee wee in an unheated daylight basement. Probably about 55*.

Been using chicken brood lamps and halogen work lights to speed the cure. Seems to be working fine, with the extra heat I can recoat in the same day. Without things were still tacky after 12-18 hours later.

Also using an electric seedling heat/germination mat to keep the container of epoxy warm.

If I was building a bigger project I’d probably put some sort of heater inside the strongback to keep the hull warm for fiberglassing... been tempted to tie into the baseboard loop over head and put a coil of pex under there :D
Mike

searay85

Postby searay85 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:13 pm

thank you for the replies, should work as my shop is in the basement as well. Hopefully, I wont have to move to the garage. The only obstacle is getting out the walkout basement. I haven't measured the opening yet. If I have to move to the garage no problem, as I have a triple car garage.
...the cure for everything: Salt water....in one form or another. Sweat, tears, or the salt sea. There's nothing that one or all cannot cure.

Jim Hutchinson
OFallon, MO
20' barrelback build

Return to “Hankinson designs”