Anyone built the Olympian?

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Hercdrvr

Anyone built the Olympian?

Postby Hercdrvr » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:04 am

I’m thinking about switching gears to an all weather, great loop capable boat after the Barrelback is finished. So when the inevitable rainout eventually happens at the Gathering, I can (+ 5 brave fellow shipwrights) still make the run to Chattanooga with the wipers flapping. Came home last year in the dark with brother, wife, sister in law, and the dog....fun adventure.

Not much info or pictures of builds out there but it looks like a great fast cruising boat with overnight accommodations. Looking at the Chinook too, but it’s just too small at 20’6” max length.
Power in the 175-200hp outboard would yield exonomical 30+ mph cruising.
Any thoughts out there on the Olympian?
Matt B
Attachments
6B7271E7-945D-4AC0-A825-F7930E0DFE8C.jpeg

JoeM

Re: Anyone built the Olympian?

Postby JoeM » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:47 am

Looks like a stable and adaptable platform. I looked at it when I was deciding what design to choose but I wanted more of a semi-displacement type hull as top speed is not my target. This design actually made me think of my brother's 24' Skipjack Open Cruiser, just with a hard cabin instead of an Isenglass(sp?) enclosure. I really enjoyed that boat, loved the way it handled and fished, which is what made me think about picking this design. I too would have loved to see a completed boat or talked to someone who built one, but at the end of the day it just wasn't the right hull for me. Sounds like it could be the right one for you though! :)
Check out my project and blog! http://fv-escape-hatch.com/project

vupilot

Postby vupilot » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:49 pm

There does not seem to be any evidence online that anyone has built one. Looks like a great boat for that task.

Ride the river in the rain in an enclosed cabin? Absolutely, count me in! Ride at 30mph at night with barely a windshield? Nah! :shock:

BayouBengal

Postby BayouBengal » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:14 am

It amazes me how you can think of your next boat before you've even flipped your Barrelback, and how you started your Barrelback before launching your Malahini. But I'm glad you're a building because I need to live vicariously through other builders for a while as I have no plans for another boat any time in the near future.

I still remember seeing you after ya'll had returned from the trip that night and you were still tense and on edge, and understandably so. I was in disbelief that ya'll made that trip, but now knowing you, you really probably need something like the Olympian, because I don't see you staying on shore (in any conditions).

Personally, I really like the LazyDaze for what you're looking for. I like the lines better and you could use a custom bimini over the back to give you the option of a protected cabin for overnight or open-air ride. I'd power it with a V-6 mercruiser sterndrive.

Return to “Hankinson designs”