Key Largo - Motor Decision

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

kens

Re: Key Largo - Motor Decision

Postby kens » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:40 pm

If I may, offer an observation, please.
If you want the old Packard 'old school' look, can you get the parts to support it?
Have you pressure tested the exhaust manifolds?
The risers? can you fabricate your own risers? (if need be)?
Can you get transmission parts?
drive plate for the flywheel?
Is the bellhousing bolt pattern the standard Borg/Warner pattern?
Can you get the Pertronix kit to replace your points ignition? (Igot pertronix and love it )
I not trying to go negative, but I would not want to see you get deep into it, then hit a snag on parts.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

boisebrit

Postby boisebrit » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:19 pm

The observation is a good one and one I am asking a lot and with all the comments my check and parts list is increasing.

It was not a conscious choice to go old school it came with a parts boat, now think it would be very cool plus it is all paid for (and wife approved), but I also want to make sure it will start, run and be as reliable as I can make it and be serviceable. I have a 1960 Austin Healey 3000 (with a Petronix which is great) that will start on the first crank even if not turned over for several weeks.

My first test is can I get it running as is, before we pulled it from the parts boat we were able to hand crank just fine and nearly get it to fire on starter fluid. At that point we stopped and took out of the boat and I now have it on the stand seen in the pic.

So if it fires then I am going to track down some of the folks I know with old cars, just found one with a packard and then go through it and do an honest evaluation before I put a lot into it. Any other items that you can think of for the check list let me know.

Thanks Again

Bryan

TomB

Postby TomB » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:10 am

Well Bryan, now that you asked...do you need a "Donut Chaser" deck ornament? :wink:

boisebrit

Postby boisebrit » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:47 am

Not yet, if needed I will borrow the car club traveling trophy of 'wo'. It is made of parts that are surplus to the cars along the way and awarded to those that have had the most interesting adventures during their travels. Part of the frame of my Healey is the base for the trophy with a piston welded on top and other assorted parts. I can always add to that :}

Return to “Hankinson designs”