Key Largo Build in Charleston

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

mickfly

Re: Key Largo Build in Charleston

Post by mickfly »

Thanks Carl. Yes indeed, there are a lot of places where the "wrestling" occurs however, early on in the process clamps help a lot...clamps couldn't help me in this case. If Darwin's theory of evolution were accurate, boat builders would all have three arms!

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

I can't believe I haven't posted since March! Wonder what happened in March to slow my progress? Actually, not being allowed to travel for work has provided me with a lot more evenings that I can be in the shop, so I've made good progress.

I've got everything sealed, stained, sealed and varnished...at least six coats everywhere. I've also got the cutwater roughed in, dash installed, flooring in place, both seats built and varnished, and gas tank installed.

Other evidence of progress? My engine arrived today! I was working when it arrived so I just inspected the outer crate for damage and had the driver slide it into a spot under a porch overhang...it's still in the crate.

You'd think I couldn't wait to get the crate open, but for me...the engine represents a skill set that I've not yet developed. It makes me a little anxious. Like how I'm going to get it in the boat (working that out). If it's wood...I can figure it out or figure out how to fix my mistakes. Fairly few of the latter, fortunately. However, other than a rudimentary knowledge of how an internal combustion engine works and how an electrical circuit works, I'm going to have to learn, a lot.

Forum members, please brace for a flurry of dumb questions! I'll post some engine pictures, when I get it uncrated, but for now, a pic of the front deck with five coats of varnish and some of the deck hardware mocked up.
Attachments
Photo from July 2020 with deck hardware temporarily in place
Photo from July 2020 with deck hardware temporarily in place

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Motor arrived last week from Michigan Motorz. So...I'm working on the motor supports (pictured below). Copying from Boise Brit's supports which saved me time. Thanks Bryan. Manual packed with motor was for a 5.7 liter. I ordered the 4.3 liter. Once I confirmed that I had the right size, I learned that they don't sell many 4.3's... so they don't have a manual for a 4.3? I know JimBob bought a 4.3...so wondering if he got a manual? I'm told the 5.7 manual will suffice...of course the first thing I needed, measurements, wasn't the same and the company sent me the drawing for the 4.3.

Unrelated to the above...Here is my question for the forum. Most of the builds on the forum are barrel-back, Tahoe, Bell Isle, etc. That is, no engine box. Key Largo is a utility which requires an engine box. Soundproofing material is fairly pricey, but I'll include it if needed. However, I've not seen anyone with a barrelback talk about sound proofing...and the engine is not covered by a box...just back under the rear deck. I'd appreciate comments, advice, etc.
Attachments
motor support 2.jpg
motor support 1.jpg

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat »

Hi
I built a Monaco with the engine boxed in. I have no insulation just 3/16" (4mm) ply. You cannot hear the engine in cruise other than the exhaust out the back. The induction air is taken from outside of the box. Inside engine compartment temperatures are low.
Alan

shep

Post by shep »

No insulation on engine box on my build and engine noise is pretty minimal. Exhaust noise much more prevalent without mufflers but that rumble Is simply awesome 😀.

Your build is coming along nicely!

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Thanks Ozzie and John. That's very helpful.
Ozzie, you mentioned induction air, do you have any venting in the engine box or does the engine air just come from under the decking?
John...I've admired your build since before I started my build five years ago. It's probably the reason I chose (and my wife approved) the Key Largo design. I may have some other questions, but for now...where did you locate your batteries? I was thinking under the front seat, but the Key Largo is already a bit weight forward...compared to barrelback.

Ozzieboat

Post by Ozzieboat »

Mick
The box is vented using four Glen-L clam shell vents. Two facing forward with air entering at the top of the box and two facing aft drawing air from the bottom of the box, these have a vent blower each. I've kept the clam shell vents as far outboard as practical so they aren't shielded by the occupants. The vent blowers are only used/necessary during pre-start. I think even then the box has been well ventilated during the drive to the boat ramp. Other than limbers and a small gap around the prop shaft gland the box is pretty well sealed.
Alan
IMG_4768 (2) (800x533).jpg

shep

Post by shep »

Thanks Mick. I have two batteries under the rear seat. I think weight distribution is just about right with them in rear. Boat planes out pretty quickly. Will try and take some pics tomorrow of the installation.

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Thanks guys. Ozzie, I did a sabbatical in Queensland in 1995...hoping to go back in 2025...and anniversary of sorts. I was at UQ.
Shep...the Key Largo box is a bit different from the Monaco. Did you have any venting/blowers? I plan on putting in blowers but haven't decided on location...

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Engine drop in today. Had to “carve out” the frame a bit and add a wooden spacer (to be replaced with hardwood) but temp shaft now lines up. I opted for my mechanic to drop in with a fork lift. It was pretty smooth.
Attachments
8964F72F-0633-4324-B24E-D8DC7CFBF8E2.jpeg
ADDFB153-AE16-4102-ADF7-5BEB63E6860A.jpeg
383F089F-D7B1-4066-88A2-E813806C8B5D.jpeg

boisebrit

Post by boisebrit »

Great work Mick, using the forklift genius much better than the original plan of two step ladders, a 2 x 4 and some rope.

Bryan

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Thanks Bryan. As you know, I did have other ideas about "doing it myself" but didn't want to have one of those videos!
As it was, I was still a bit nervous when the fork lift had it about nine feet off the ground.

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Defender marine has a seawater intake at 1 1/4." Looks like that is the size that most folks have used?
I am planning to install a strainer. Seems like they are sized based on intake size...so 1 1/4. That makes for a fairly tall part (over 10 inches tall) making me wonder if I can mount it horizontally as with the Key Largo I would otherwise have to fit it under the engine box.

TomB

Post by TomB »

Mick,

If you are short on head room and long on cash, something like this is just right. https://www.go2marine.com/low-profile-b ... _JEALw_wcB

Being short on head room and short on cash, I put my cheap, must be above the waterline, strainer on the port side of the transmission.

Tom

Ps. Like the foam
In the home stretch on a Tahoe 23

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Thanks Tom. Seems like that will be perfect and allow me to work around exhaust, etc. It's only a bit more expensive than the one I was looking at on defender site.

There are several things about the Key Largo design that have me scratching my head, but I know there is always a solution. I just learned that the clearance under the motor stringers, where the exhaust needs to go, is only 4". My exhaust ports are 4" which means my 4.68 inch od exhaust hose will not fit. I found fiberglass connectors that fit inside a 4" hose, so maybe only a little rasp work to open the space?

I saw you used what appeared to be metal connectors...something that Roberta recommended?

At any rate, the connectors will also allow me to reduce the cut-out in each frame the exhaust has to pass over on its way aft! That will reduce the need for reinforcing those frames as I'll only be cutting about 3/4 in round for the hose to sit in.

Return to “Hankinson designs”