Key Largo Build in Charleston

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

mickfly

Re: Key Largo Build in Charleston

Post by mickfly » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:49 pm

Thanks Tony. On the Key Largo, the plans show a frame cut-out to accommodate the shaft and specifies reinforcing on both sides with plywood, both of which which I've done. From your post, it sounds like I just need the angle bracket to provide some extra reinforcement on that frame. That's easy...initially I was thinking I needed it on every frame.

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:54 pm

Yes. I am building a Tahoe which is a Hankinson design and it shows the angle iron on that frame but I also had to take some off the next frame for the sump and did the same there.
Attachments
P1010924.JPG
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

mickfly

Post by mickfly » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:43 am

Making slow and steady progress. Have the port side cover board shaped and the starboard side cover board roughed out. I built the front seat and hooked up the hydraulic steering. Will test the steering this weekend, as it's a two person job. Dashboard installed and am planning on adding the plywood on the inside of the dash board ends that I saw in the 20 ft Texas Barrel site (thanks Matt). I've also "bunged" everything, except for the rear deck, which I can't install until I have the steering tested. I may float the stern to see if there are major leaks as I've never done packing material before.
Attachments
deck bungs.jpg
dashboard installed .jpg

TomB

Post by TomB » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:50 pm

Looks great. Tom

mickfly

Post by mickfly » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:34 pm

Building a key largo and finding some differences between my build and barrelback. My engine will be mounted behind the front cockpit, one frame further forward than barrelback. I'm fitting the sole (floorboards) of the boat and realize that I only have 3" clearance between the frames and the sole. I know the exhaust is at least three inches. Jim used 4" for his barrelback...
My choices are:

1) raise the sole an inch or two
2) leave the sole where it is and allow exhaust to contact both sole and frame on the way to the back of the boat.
3) run the exhaust inside the motor stringers until it goes under the rear seat and then splay the exhaust to the trumpets

I'm thinking option 3 is the best, provided I have enough clearance under the motor stringers near the transom. Option 3 requires running the exhaust under the gas tank, but seems like it would be close to the gas tank if I ran the exhaust outside the stringers?

Can anyone advise me here? I love looking at the barrelback builds, but every so often there is a BIG difference in the set up, such as the water filter that Jimbob showed recently. It's under the back deck in the barrelback, but I imagine will either be in the engine box or mounted horizontally in the key largo.

mickfly

Post by mickfly » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:01 am

My mistake...option three will not work. Frame two has a keel to top of frame support. Exhaust has to go outside the motor stringers.

mickfly

Post by mickfly » Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:56 am

Took the build down to the boat ramp for a "float." Wanted to make sure the rudder and strut were water-tight before I put in the gas tank and rear deck. It floated! No leaks. I expected a little drip from the rudder stuffing box, but it was dry. I have the hydraulics hooked up and I worked the steering a bit. Not sure if that is okay...that is, not to have a slow drip?

Took a picture from porch deck before moving her back into the garage...a light rain made it seem like the boat was stained!

Next up...Gas tank install. If anyone has advice on how to ground the different parts of the tank...and what to ground it to...I'm all ears.

Mick
Attachments
float day deck shot.JPEG
float day dock shot.JPG

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:51 am

Very nice!
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:54 am

Mick

The rudder post doesn.t need to drip at all. The drip with the shaft packing is for lubrication and cooling with the spinning shaft. I hope your rudder is not spinning. :wink:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mickfly

Post by mickfly » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:15 am

Bill:
The rudder only moves about 30-35 degrees port and starboard! Thanks for confirming that I did it correctly.

My boat mechanic (for our other power boat) recommended the hydraulic steering. It was pricey, but I'm pleased with the way it works...or seems to work in the shop and while stationary in the water!

Long way to go...but it sure was fun to float it.

Mike

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:50 am

Mike

I have both types of steering. I have Tel-flex on the Tahoe and hydraulic on the Bartender. I happy with both.

The only drawback I see with the hydraulic steering is that it can slip over time. I have a spoked type wheel with 8 spindles. If the wheel is not round or symmetrical, you can notice its slip.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mickfly

Post by mickfly » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:56 am

Thanks. Any insight on grounding wires for the filler hose/rest of fuel tank?

Return to “Hankinson designs”