Key Largo Build in Charleston

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

mickfly

Re: Key Largo Build in Charleston

Post by mickfly »

I just noticed, on the Key Largo plan, that it has an option for spray rails. This is a ~1" X 2" mounted flat, along the CHINE. This is different from the guards that most barrellback and key largo builders include, mounted horizontally, a few inches above the water line.

It looks like the spray rails would be easy to mount, from transom to midships. My primary concern is that they will be UGLY. The plans show the spray rail rounded on the top and flat at the bottom of the chine.

The back seat in the Key Largo is mounted in front of frame 1 so I'm wondering if I'll need both spray rails and guards to keep riders dry? However, I'm also wondering how something mounted below water line helps keep water out...of course I understand that when the boat is on plane that the spray rails will be exposed, but a 1" thick member making a big difference?

TomB

Post by TomB »

The idea behind spray rails is to break the surface tension on the water. As the water comes off the bottom a small amount will make the turn riding up the topside and wash the passengers RayBans.

Moving the edge away from the topside, even 5/8" or 3/4", forces the water to change directions several time before it gets the passengers...I think...I hope.

Tom

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

The spray rails go right on the chine. Believe Butch Barto and me. They are not an option, if you want to stay dry. The guards protect your boat from the dock.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Thanks guys. From transom to midships do it?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Your aft passengers may be dry. But, you will get wet when you come off plane.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TomB

Post by TomB »

This is what I did. Almost to the stem
IMG_0311.jpg
and almost to the transom.
IMG_0478.jpg
I'm looking forward to see how they work. :D

Tom

shep

Post by shep »

I did install the guard rail but didn’t have time prior to launch date to install the spray rails. I did plan on putting them on later but back seat stays dry without them fortunately. Still don’t have them after 5 yrs with no complaints from rear seat riders.

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Thanks all. The good news, they don't look that ugly after all. I'm inclined to install them as it seems like a relatively easy fix, compared to installing the guards. Shep, looks like you built the barrel-back, my Key Largo has the back seat up against frame one... more likely to get wet. Bill's comment that the driver could get wet without them, sold me...driver comfort highest priority!

Aussie

Post by Aussie »

Hi,

Will put my 2 cents worth in.

I didn’t want to install spray rails at all due to the fact I thought they looked ugly ( mind you when I first started looking at designs I thought the Barrelback was ugly 🤷‍♂️)

I bit the bullet and installed a rail but only from just forward of the rear cockpit (I have built the Belle Isle) i am glad I did as they do work although on the Belle I dot think going any further forward would be of benefit as the front ride is very dry, also no one in the back gets wet either.

Pic of how I done my rails

Jamie
Attachments
1EAD6DB1-4EEC-46F5-A503-F9053C7B4BAA.png
62B1DEB5-CE7B-4F35-BD13-4CBB59553C51.jpeg
8689E511-A815-4466-87FE-34BDFC108A3F.jpeg

Aussie

Post by Aussie »

Hi,

Thought I would check out how the spray rails work and take a photo.

I was supposed to see that the was no water touching the rails at all. The water was sheeting straight off the hull, this photo was taken at about 25 mph, at the lower speed they seems to help but at higher speed this is how they looked.
Attachments
7CD6C6CA-F0F1-483C-9775-592323AFD809.jpeg

TomB

Post by TomB »

Spray rails and guards are different. Jamie/Aussie beautiful boat has guards but does not have, or apparently need, spray rails. The guard is located a few inches above the waterline. The spray rail is on the chine line.
IMG_0478.jpg
Tom

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

On boats with tumblehome The guard extends out past the chine line. You want to hit the dock with the guard above the waterline and not hit the chine below the waterline.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Thanks guys, for the clarification. I think I am going to install both the spray rails and the guards. Always appreciate the insight of the forum experts.

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

Finished "roughing in" the ceilings. One of the phases of the build where I wish I had a helper. Getting the 10 foot boards into place was like wrestling with spaghetti. I've since planed these boards (~1/4'), rounded the edges, added sealer and Sandusky red. After the stain fully cures, I'll be adding sealer, but will likely stop as it seems like I won't be putting these back on the boat for a while. I've lots of other stuff to work on and don't want to risk dinging these up. I may put them back before I drop in an engine...but I'll have to think about that a bit.

I'm guessing there will be questions about the blade/burn marks. I can't resaw on my band saw...so I bought a thin kerf blade and used my table saw, a tall fence, and a feather board to help me "slice" three 6" boards out of a 5/4. I bit of waste, but I wanted to get this process moving and waiting for them to be milled was not an option. The planer removed all the blade marks.
Attachments
ceilings rough port 4.jpg
ceilings rough port 3.jpg

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Ceilings looking good. I think it's a perfect person that can get away without creating saw marks. Planers and sanding can work wonders here. I had to chuckle at your remark about the "spaghetti". It seems like there is quite a bit of this type of work doesn't it?
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Return to “Hankinson designs”