Key Largo Build in Charleston

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Rich Coey

Re: Key Largo Build in Charleston

Post by Rich Coey » Tue May 01, 2018 4:44 pm

Here is a link to a post that showed the hole saw I made. Easy to make, cut through fast, and it cuts straight and won't wander like a drill bit and no need for a backer on inside for tear out.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25179&p=151163&hili ... aw#p151163

Rich

mickfly

Post by mickfly » Mon May 21, 2018 11:35 am

Drilled the hole for my rudder post yesterday. It took a while to "pull the trigger" which was fortunate as it gave me time to soak in some advice. I went with a one shaft diameter offset. Also, Bryan reminded me that the rudder post was to be plumb to the "earth" not the bottom of the boat. Useful advice. You can see the bevel gauge, set to plumb with the laser and temporarily "super glued" to the hull. I fixed the laser level to a temp board on the aft end and it on while drilling.

I drilled a 1 3/4 inch hole, with an extra board screwed to the keel to prevent tear out. After drilling, I removed the board, screwed a piece of 1/2 inch vinyl with foam tape over the hole (don't ask me how I knew that I needed to seal the hole more effectively) and filled the hole with epoxy...in three pours...to reduce heat...and as a hedge against another leak. No leaks with the vinyl-foam tape seal.

Tonight I will drill the hole to size for the rudder post (1 1/2").

I have a consult with a mechanic Thursday...I'm leaning toward a GM vortec V6 4.3 L from Michigan Motorz...but he and I will look at several options.
The advice of the forum always appreciated.
Attachments
rudder line up.jpg
rudder hole.jpg

mickfly

Post by mickfly » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:30 am

The plans say something like..."locate the top of a 2" wide boot top stripe 2" below the set-up level all around".

My boat us still upside down. The set-up level is about 6" down from the flat edge of the transom.

My question...what does "below " refer to? Is it about 8" down from the flat edge of the transom...or 4"?

Looking at the pictures...I suspect the former...

monitor

Post by monitor » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:26 pm

Check out the string "Barrelback waterline location". Plus, the Barrelback plans elevation show the waterline about 2-1/2" above the bottom of the boat at the transom. Right where it should be according to the written info. from Glen-L. ("below" referring to when the boat is rightside up, as in the water).
That's my take on it anyway...backed up by the in-water photo's I have seen.
Jim Kinsella

boisebrit

Post by boisebrit » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:26 pm

All,

I'm around the same stage as Mick ( He is a bit ahead on sanding and a propellor hole - work harder Bryan !!!!), so we have been comparing notes a lot. Most recently on the boot stripe. Think I have the setup line worked out ok with the top of the boot stripe 2" below that mark when the boat is the right way up.

So if I put a laser down the boat I run into the transition at the bow, have seen several posts and pics on the topic some following the plan with a sharp transition and some keeping a fairly straight line. The finish at my bow just above where the boot stipe should be, is not as nice, so wanting it to be covered with the boot stripe.

I have attached two pics, one of the boot stripe line as per the plan and one if I soften the line, it just smooths the line slightly as it moves towards the bow. The lower part of blue tape is the top of the boot stripe, lower picture is as per plan, upper smoothed.

In the water the smoothed line will have a slight up tilt. There is about a 3 3/4" inch difference at the bow between the two solutions,

Thoughts Anybody? and thanks Mick for letting me hijack your thread.

Thanks

Bryan
Attachments
Modified.jpg
perplan.jpg

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:02 pm

Here's some pics that might help. I used the setup level line and it came out about the same as the pictures. Check out where it is in relation to the chine.
Jim
Attachments
P8080001.JPG
P8080003.JPG
P8080018.JPG
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:06 pm

And one more pic.
Jim
Attachments
P8080145.JPG
Jim Neeley

boisebrit

Post by boisebrit » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:21 pm

Jim,

I saw your posts before wondered how you did it.

Question did you use the setup line as the top or bottom of the boot stripe when the boat is in the water?

In my case if I use the setup as the top of the boot stripe I am about 2" into the not so good looking mahogany but is is workable.

Thanks

Bryan

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:54 pm

Sorry, I don't remember, but I would go on the high side so you don't go into the bad stuff at the bow. You might look at the pictures and gauge it from the transom area and see how that works out. The main thing that I was after at the time was where to stop the bottom paint. I used a water level so I could get a reference point between the inside of the boat's motor stringers, ( they are supposed to be at setup level) and the outside of the hull.
Jim
Jim Neeley

boisebrit

Post by boisebrit » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:20 pm

Thanks that helps a lot and the straight line looks great.

Now back to work can't let Mick get too far ahead.

mickfly

Post by mickfly » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:04 pm

Thanks all. Much more informed and comfortable with the stripe placement. Bryan...great to have someone at the same stage of the build to bounce ideas off.

I did bore the shaft hole...and will post pictures. The 1/2 inch shaft I had machined with a drill chuck was fitted with 1" shaft collars to ride in the cutlass bearing. The hull block was held with ratchet straps, but the block shifted a bit. I had to reposition and add screws. It also helped to back off and clear chips frequently.
Attachments
F9B487AE-4992-44B4-8DF2-AEC9580987AB.jpeg
DF7B829C-1CF3-41D1-8977-537D4293C305.jpeg
7AAD93CE-4302-4DD1-9CD2-0F2EDE3CF463.jpeg

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:07 am

Here is my two cents on painting the boot stripe….. I waited to paint the stripe until after I launched the boat. I put in about a half tank of gas and we had the normal stuff in the boat to get the weight about where it would be. Then I let the boat sit at a dock for a few hours in fairly nasty water. When the boat went back on the trailer, there was a perfect waterline. Then I painted the boot stripe with the bottom edge above the waterline about 3/4" or so. If I had painted the boot stripe according to the plans, It would have been high at the transom and low at the bow. I also had to add bottom paint to get the waterline right. Really, if you want that boot stripe to look right, it should be one of the last steps in your build. Many get lucky when doing it before launching, and many do not..... Only a suggestion.... Neel

mickfly

Post by mickfly » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:58 am

Thanks Neel. I'm coating the bottom of the boat with epoxy/graphite. That will give me a solid color that won't be sloughed off by the trailer skids or the "bumps into the beach." However, I think I'll leave the graphite low or just on the hull bottom, which will allow me to move the stripe after I get her into the water.

mickfly

Post by mickfly » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:12 pm

I've been working hard trying to get to the flip...

Some photos below showing:

transom stained (Sandusky Chris Craft Red diluted with turpentine)
transom after sealer (Petit)
Keel strip of glass over first layer of glass coated with epoxy (Raka) and graphite
Port side with fiberglass draped (6 oz)
Port side after wet out
Port side after wet out showing grain (before additional coats of epoxy applied)

I'm pleased with the glass/epoxy and the grain showing through. There are two (one on each side) blemishes in the fabric that I'm not happy about. Basically, a whitish circle the size of a quarter where it looks like it didn't wet out. oth are high on the side near the sheer. I'm going to try to "grind" them off with coarse paper and see if I can sand then off without getting into the sealer and stain. If I can, I can easily recoat them and build it back up so it won't show.

A few more coats of epoxy on the sides...and a final coat of epoxy/graphite on the hull bottom and I'll be ready for varnish.
Attachments
transom stain.jpg
transom stained (Sandusky thinned with turpentine
transom sealer over stain.jpg
Sealer (Petit) over stain
keel strip .jpg
Keel strip over first layer of glass and several coats of epoxy/graphite

mickfly

Post by mickfly » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:14 pm

more pics
Attachments