Key Largo build. Tahmoor (nr. Sydney) Australia

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Shaunh

Re: Key Largo build. Tahmoor (nr. Sydney) Australia

Post by Shaunh » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:13 am

Hi Rob

With regards to resawing, get a test piece done first to see what they deliver. I am not sure straight off the saw is ever good enough. Some will do it but I don't reckon on it. Not to mention a bit of blade wobble etc. Also, looks like your boards are wider than 200mm. That is always a challenge regardless of the saw used and not many rip saws save for a full mill rip saw will have the depth of cut. Lastly, the Fijan Mahog is not as stable as the Brazilian parent. ( same species, plantation grown in Fiji ) If grows faster and does tend to move about a bit when you put a saw into it. Not every board but it can be unpredictable. You didn't mention a supplier so not sure what their experience is or even if they out source the machining. Most do in Sydney. Not being negative, just want to arm you with the right info when looking at your options. If one of those commercial jobs you are working on gets you to Canberra drop in and i will show you some of our "toys" in the workshop.
Cheers mate.

Shaun

jaguarrh

Post by jaguarrh » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:57 am

Hey Tony, thanks for the tip on the Bote Cote and their respective glue.

I may give the gel a go but I do want to try my hand at the adding fibre or bead to create glue as well as I have never done any epoxy. I want to get the full experience :)

Shaun, once again, thanks for the pointers. During milling my motor stringers, I have noticed a little movement, but nothing too severe yet. The timber in the photos should be just enough for the frames so I wont be ripping my planking from it. I was hoping to get the planking ripped from some 150mm wide stock but have not really discussed it in detail with the supplier yet. By the way, I am getting my timber from Anagote Timber in Marrickville. So far they have been very accommodating and helpful and there table saw is a big old beast. Not sure what it's depth of cut capacity is though.

With regards to Canberra, I do sometimes find myself out that way and I think I am going to take next week off work to get a good start going on the boat. May find the time to come over then, or some other time.

Do you sell Mahogany in your enterprise Shaun?

I haven't made much progress over the weekend as I had a commitment with my daughter on some school thing that I was volunteered for. That is 2 days of my life I wont get back... :x

Anyway, hope to start learning how to edit video and getting something up on youtube soon. Watch this space. :mrgreen:
Rob

Building a Key Largo

:mrgreen:

Shaunh

Post by Shaunh » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:22 am

Hi Rob. I am sure Rodney and co are looking after you well at Anagote. I haven't had the Fijian mahog for awhile now but usually keep good stocks of Sapelle. Arguably a more striking looking timber and regularly quarter sawn. Deeper colour too. I am off to Europe for two weeks from Friday ( ANZAC service northern France ) but the crew can show you about if you make it down while i am away. Tell them you are building a boat like mine, they will roll their eyes and mutter a bit then help you no worries. Hahaha
I am using a combo of PNG Rosewood, Sapelle and Ash for the bulk of my builds but planning a few tricks with the decking pattern and will utilise a few more species. Checked out a vacuum pump today, liking the idea of limiting face fixings. Will also be using a few Raptor nails. I have tested them in my pinner and they worked fine. Lots if new things to learn when you build a boat. Catch up soon.
Cheers
Shaun

jaguarrh

Post by jaguarrh » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:51 pm

Shaun, yes, the guys at Anagote have been great.

I am interested in your deck scheme because I too want to have some contrast in my deck planking against the king plank and covering boards at the sheer.

Anyway, a few more questions...

I am getting my motor stringers finally dimensioned which then allows me to finish of the leg frame assemblies on the building form. I note on the plan it calls for the motor stringers to be lined with 3/8 ply (9mm) on one side but I can't see a call for any fixings in the fixing schedule. I assume these would need to be 1 1/2" screws to supplement epoxy glue? Would these screws be included in the final numbers on the fixing kit from Glen-L or would they be additional?

Secondly, I intend to put an encapsulation coat of epoxy around each individual component of the frames etc. excluding known glue surfaces. Is this the preferred method? Or would i be better off just assembling the frames then applying a coat to the completed frame?

Rob

Building a Key Largo

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:04 pm

Rob

This is not a critical connection. Most people do not use all of the ring nails. You can use some to attach the ply.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

jaguarrh

Post by jaguarrh » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:27 pm

Great, thanks for the advice Bill. :D
Rob

Building a Key Largo

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:17 pm

Rob
I would assemble the frames first, then encapsulate. One thing I would do if I were building another boat would be to use filler blocks between the gussets in the bottom corner of the frames. It would just tidy off the frame and where they are exposed make them look more finished. Also you would not have to worry about cleaning out muck between the gussets.
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

jaguarrh

Post by jaguarrh » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:30 am

Evening all.

About time for an overdue update I reckon. :mrgreen:

Well I have finished putting together the building form and I got it up on castors...

I then braced all of the leg uprights and centered them down the form...

I bought a cheap laser level that shines a horizontal and a vertical line which made this task rather straight forward.

After that came the finishing touches to the motor stringers. I gave them a final touch up with the hand plane to ensure they were square and then glued up the plywood liner to one side of each.

This was quite literally my first ever glue up with epoxy. I can see I have a bit of a learning curve ahead of me with that... :roll:

Once dry, I cleaned up a deliberate overhang of ply with a flush trim bit in my trim router and gave them a quick sand. Then I mounted them on to the building form, temporarily, using my laser level and fixed off the cross braces to the leg uprights.

Last weekend was my wife's birthday, so had to put down the tools for the weekend and this weekend I have just got myself a new toy. I got a new to me (30 yr old almost) 8" jointer. I have spent a bit of time on set up etc but I think this will be a great addition to my workshop. I will grab a photo for my next post.

Onwards and upwards...
Rob

Building a Key Largo

jaguarrh

Post by jaguarrh » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:45 am

Last week I moved on to the next major task,

I traced out the patterns on to a sheet of ply...

I think I probably took a bit too much info off the plans and overdid it on the ply...

But I think I will be able to manage deciphering all of the lines. :?

Actually the photo above that shows the sheer location of the patterns raises a question or two that I have come across... In fact, I have an excerpt of the pattern sheet photo that explains it even clearer...

If you look at this part of the pattern sheet, I am a bit confused about the partial deck beam for frame#2. It projects further than the carlin point and it looks like this is exactly how Jimbob has cut his in the photo he provided a few posts up above. Yet other photo sets I have seen seem to show this being a short member much like frames 4 and 5 that stop at the carlin point. Is this correct, should I cut this as per the plan where it goes beyond the carlin point?

Also, on the plan, frame 3 shows a full width deck beam (same photo above) but I am certain this is not required as frame three falls in the open section of the boat. Is this a remnant of the Barrelback plan?

Otherwise, things are progressing well. I have cut card templates for all of the frame components and am going to start batching them out tomorrow.

Onwards and upwards....
Rob

Building a Key Largo

TomB

Post by TomB » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:33 am

Hi Rob,

Looks good. You are probably already doing these things while doing the fun work of creating frames...

Encapsulate the stringers now. There won't be a time in the future when it is easier. It is also a low risk opportunity to practice with epoxy.

After encapsulation, clamp the stringers together and notch them for frames.

Marking each frame with a different color on the ply pattern is a good way to avoid confusion where several frames have similar lines.

As for overdoing the ply pattern, I also added the inside of the frames, batten notches, fastener lengths with noted sizes. By the time I was done most info was in one place, sometimes too many lines and too much info to be useful.

Keep up the good work,

Tom

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:23 pm

Nice job on the plywood layout and it looks correct. I did this for my Malahini build and it paid BIG benefits for accuracy of my frames. I drew it out from the plan dimensions as my patterns were slightly inaccurate due to reproduction issues. I also have the Key Largo plans and patterns, I found they were accurate. The Ken Hankinson designs really require the patterns to be used, not quite enough info in the plans.
Note that the patterns you have are used for both the Barrelback and the Key Largo. The hull shape is the same for both. The big differences between the two hulls is found in the plans for each. The Key Largo engine is located one frame forward of the engine in the Barrelback and of course the deck is very different. The Frame 2 issue you talk about should be a short piece of deck beam like Frames 3 and 4, not a widened section of frame side that's used on the Barrelback. The Frame 3 deck beam is a partial too. Follow the plans for your boat and you can't go wrong. You have a great start on a great project, post lots of photos and have fun!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

jaguarrh

Post by jaguarrh » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:45 pm

Thanks for the advice Peter.

I knew in my mind they all needed to be short deck beam stubs as such, just wanted some confirmation. :)

So that is frames 2; 3; 4; 5 all with deck beams ending at the carlin point. :mrgreen:

And Tom, thanks for your tips too. I will be encapsulating the motor stringers before finally mounting them. As with the frames, once they are built, I will encapsulate them before mounting. How many coats of epoxy do people recommend for encapsulation?
Rob

Building a Key Largo

jaguarrh

Post by jaguarrh » Fri May 11, 2018 2:15 am

Time for an update...

So, after prepping the plywood story board from the patterns, I then moved on to generating some card templates using the story board and the information from the plans.

I know the card isn't super accurate but it simply allows me to layout the parts on the raw mahogany planks, hoping to maximise the timber usage.

Firstly I laid out all of the components that require duplication, mostly side members of frames, the floor members of frame #6 and the small deck beam stubs as discussed above.

Once i rough cut these out of the wide boards on the band saw I was able then to flatten them on the planer (jointer in U.S. terminology) and then thickness them to the required 19mm (3/4"). Was I excited when I finally got to see the real timber after going through the machine? Like Kim Jong Un at a rocket conference. :mrgreen:

After that I then used this little quartet to finalise the shaping down to the lines while offering up to the story board for final fitting.

Once the first one of the pair was finally shaped, I double stick taped it to its rough cut counterpart and pattern routed it on the router table using a flush trim bit. This process worked really well so the two similar parts are actual identical copies of each other.

this then just leaves the members that are singular items. Deck beams for frame #1, #6, #7 and all of the floor beams apart from frames #6 and #7.

For this I need to get some more timber.... prepare to drool....

This weekend I hope to finish off the components for the frames, although it is Mother's Day here in Aus so I will probably end up waiting on my wife as my daughter probably won't. :wink:

I will check in once I am ready for assembly and hopefully will have some video edited and posted on YouTube by then.
Rob

Building a Key Largo

jaguarrh

Post by jaguarrh » Fri May 11, 2018 4:15 pm

Hey all,

Could use some quick advice.

I have been very troubled about an engine for this boat and am constantly searching for something affordable.

I am not afraid of a bit of work to get something up to scratch (if parts are available).

Just noticed this on Gumtree. I know it is not the nice V* rumble but I thought it might carry some relevance to the boat and be a good "period style" potential engine?

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/grose-v ... 1180377913

Any thoughts?
Rob

Building a Key Largo

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri May 11, 2018 6:09 pm

Rob

Just as a point of reference: many of the old engines were 6 cylinder that turned about 3000 rpm. A modern 4 cylinder turning 4000 rpm will give about the same report. Many people want an 8 cylinder. But, never use the power or rpm.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Hankinson designs”