Key Largo Update - Boise, ID

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

boisebrit

Re: Key Largo Update - Boise, ID

Post by boisebrit » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:08 pm

Big days work on the project to share, weather cooled off to 70's and 80's from the 100's so was able to get the boat stained. Sealer coat next :D. Thanks to my friend Ray for the 5 hours of last minute prep and the two hours of staining, definitely a two person job.
Attachments
IMG_0754.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:41 pm

Way to go Ray. That's a friend!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

boisebrit

Post by boisebrit » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:21 am

Another quick update boat now sealed, using Pettit EZ wood sealer slightly thinned applied with Earlex HVLP sprayer. As it goes on a lot thinner than applying with brush/roller, I have applied three 3 coats. Pics shown are coats 1 and 2. On to Fiber Glass now and thanks to Mick again for the help prepping me for that. Interesting depending on light is either brown or more red, up close grain really shows through and color is pretty uniform. Cant wait to roll it outside under full natural light.

Have a great Sunday --- Bryan
Attachments
IMG_0797.jpg
Second Coat Hull
IMG_0796.jpg
Second coat bow
IMG_0777.jpg
First coat sealer transom

mickfly

Post by mickfly » Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:34 pm

Looks fantastic Bryan. Hope the glass and epoxy go smoothly. Happy to help. The glass/epoxy is the one part of the build that comes easier for me...as my Dad's business had me glassing in my teens.

boisebrit

Post by boisebrit » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:04 pm

Glass now on bottom of hull and down to about 3/4" from top (bottom this way up) of predicted boot strip line. Also have a strip on keel. Think this is coat 4 of epoxy a real fun game of trying to smooth it all out. Will be using copper bronze paint and no glass on sides above boot stripe.

Planning on using the primer as suggested in the paint data sheet, apart from lots of sanding and flowing of epoxy now, is there anyway at that stage to fix any minor dips or ripples when the primer is on, as I know it will show up differently with a less reflective coating on?

Thanks

Bryan
Attachments
IMG_0931.jpg

boisebrit

Copper Bronze Paint ?

Post by boisebrit » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:06 pm

I have my first coat of petit copper bronze hard racing paint on hull. (Last minute change from my original plan for green). I have seen that many have varnished over top as the paint does not buff as it states in data sheet to get the high gloss finish. Boat will be in freshwater and be on a trailer, not permanently at a dock.

I posted in the wooden boat forum and got a whole world of hurt that it will change color badly which does not seem the case for freshwater and day use.

Here is the data sheet for the paint as reference. This is more a top finish and is not an anti fouling version.
http://www.pettitpaint.com/media/2533/p ... pds-06.pdf

So question for group, those that have used the same paint did you do anything special to apply the varnish as the surface does not not scuff easily. Or how else did you get the high gloss finish?

Thanks Bryan
Attachments
IMG_1103.jpg
IMG_1102.jpg

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:15 pm

Sorry you got so much crap on another forum for your simple question. Did you try http://www.danenbergboatworks.com it's a great resource forum for traditional restoration of antique boats. I know for a fact other Glen L builders used their forum for help and were treated well.
As far as the bottom paint, I read somewhere that buffing will bring out the shine you want and that some do apply a top coat, though I'm not sure about varnish below the waterline. Others can chime in with their experience, I'm not there yet.
Last edited by PeterG on Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:39 am

I'm not sure about varnish submerged for any period of time. I would consider wr-lpu in clear. I am using it as bottom paint for a boat that will be mostly trailered. You can reach out to them on their help line to see about compatibility.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:51 am

I met a classic boat restorer at a boat show, and he said they put varnish over the bottom paint to get the smooth high gloss. On my barrelback, I sprayed varnish over the bottom paint and then buffed it out. Original boats used varnish, and they held up pretty well. Like yours, my boat will be used in fresh water and then stored on a trailer. Without some sort of finish over the copper bottom paint, I would imagine it would get a green patina over a period of time.
Pic of the varnish over the copper bottom paint.
Jim
Attachments
20160319_105646.jpg
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

boisebrit

Post by boisebrit » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:56 am

Great picture Jim, and good to know it works. Did you also hit the bottom of the boat with any wax before flipping?

Thanks. Bryan

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:41 am

I don't remember. If I did, it would have been McGuiar's Cleaner Wax. (it has carnuba wax in it).
The varnish was rubbed out with sandpaper grits from 320 up to 2000, and then buffed out with McGuiars 105 cutting compound, and then with McGuires 205 finishing compound.
Jim
Jim Neeley

boisebrit

Post by boisebrit » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:23 pm

Jim - Starting to get my project a bit closer to yours. copper looks great not the most fun thing to apply,

Attached pic of second coat of varnish just applied for all to enjoy only a few more to go.......... I set up a paint booth in the shop using some zip wall posts and I am shooting spar captains varnish with an earless HLVP setup with the 1.5 tip. The floor is kind of sticky but it does keep the dust down.

Also a quick tip for low cost tack cloths, if you get some spray adhesive standard strength 3M, take some blue shop towels spray leave for 60 seconds fold over and then peel apart you have an instant disposable tack cloth.
Attachments
IMG_2117.jpg

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:57 pm

Looks fantastic!
Jim
Jim Neeley

boisebrit

Key Largo- Boise, ID

Post by boisebrit » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:11 pm

Couple of pics, ready for flip. Last job was to spray the boot stripe which came out great, setting the tape correctly and masking the boat off was the time-consuming part. I used fine-line tape from an automotive paint supply store, was not expensive and peels off just fine with no residue.
Attachments
IMG_2183.jpg
IMG_2176.jpg

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:17 am

Looks sharp and I’m glad to see both our waterlines are layed out in the same place.
Thanks for the picture of your right side up cradle over on my Barrelback thread.
Matt B

Return to “Hankinson designs”