Key Largo Update - Boise, ID

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

boisebrit

Key Largo Update - Boise, ID

Postby boisebrit » Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:12 pm

All,

Thought I would share a pic from earlier today on the 'Miss Anna' project.

Finally all covered. I'll take a breath and maybe a Cider and then think about some quality time with the block sander.

I will post more pics of the process to the gallery when I get a chance.

Bryan
Attachments
IMG_0016.jpg

hoodman

Re: Key Largo Update - Boise, ID

Postby hoodman » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:38 pm

Thanks for showing us. Your boat looks awesome!

boisebrit

Postby boisebrit » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:15 am

Thanks Matt

Just cleaning up the scraps and this is whats left from 158 sqft of Sapele. Got real tight on the last row which fortunately is below the water line. Plus I did loose a 5ft piece at the beginning on the transom, a failed vacuum bagging. ( Did not use vacuum again, just could not get it to work, probably my pump or me. )

The boat is stretched to 20ft and due to the width of planks available I went with a 6 rows. Hopefully this helps estimating how much you may need.

Bryan
Attachments
IMG_0017.jpg

mickfly

Postby mickfly » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:30 am

Great work Bryan. Looks great and the spiled planks look really cool.

I'm about 50% covered on the starboard (2nd) side.

I've fashioned a "fairing board" to see if it helps me with the sanding, but I've not tried it yet. It's flexible...so should help me knock of the high spots before I revert to my random orbit sander. I have a lot of high/uneven spots and I'm hoping the 1/8 veneer is sufficient.

boisebrit

Postby boisebrit » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:18 pm

Have similar issues with a few planks high in spots, I have got myself a long sander for automotive repair and also a flexible version of the same.

I think I should be good with the 1/8th, we will see pretty soon.

I want to work getting the worst out of any high spots, clean up any epoxy and then fill any plank gaps and as I have countersunk screws, the screw holes with famowood, before I really get onto the sanding.

Want to make sure that I sand the filler at the same time as the rest of wood so I do not create any depressions by over sanding as the filler is harder than the veneer. Not - sand to perfection then add filler and then only sand one spot or get too thin in an area trying to get the filler down. Hope that makes sense.

I also resisted the temptation mostly not to sand before I was fully covered, to give the block the largest area to work on.

Have a good one.

Bryan

mickfly

Postby mickfly » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:42 pm

Bryan:

I'm covered! Finished the sapele plugs on the transom last night. I used famowood for all the other plugs, which will be covered either by bottom paint, cutwater, etc.

Over the next few weeks...sanding. At your suggestion, I got a long board which seems great for knocking off the high spots...then I'll use my random orbit sander. It will be hard to achieve perfection, but I'll try. I am covering both bottom and sides with epoxy and glass, which gives me a tiny bit of wriggle room.

So...I'm starting to think about the shaft bore. I saw a builder who had a 3/8 drill chuck added to a 1" steel rod. It may be overkill for the single use, but it's a fairly important single use. I've contacted a machine shop to see about the fabrication.

I'll be eager to hear the approach you plan to use for your shaft bore.

Mick

boisebrit

Postby boisebrit » Sun May 06, 2018 12:55 pm

Mick,

Looks like you have been racing ahead, getting the yard ready for summer here so not much progress last 2 weeks. But today I got parole from the yard and started working on the bore for the shaft. Thanks for all the posts on getting the bore drilled. I have a donor boat for parts so spent the day working on the angle for the strut and placement of the rudder. Good news I can use both, will have to get a new propellor shaft though, existing too short.

As I am going to use the 56 Packard 352 engine from the donor boat I am working with a tight squeeze so I took a page from the book and made a template next to the boat to calculate angle and bore point. Attached picture for reference worked pretty well and my buddy arrived just at the right time to help double check the setup.

One question for group the book says a minimum of 2" clearance for the prop to the keel or 10% of prop size depending on boat size. Is anyone using less or is the damage to the hull too great if less than 2" from cavetation.

Thanks

Bryan
Attachments
IMG_0070.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Sun May 06, 2018 1:38 pm

Bryan

On my Tahoe, the clearance is 1 1/2". I'm turning a 13" prop. But. my shaft rpm is only 3170. I have no problems. I think, it was Dave Lott that had a 1:1 gear turning over 5500 rpm with less than 2 clear and was pealing the paint off the bottom. But! It runs!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

mickfly

Postby mickfly » Mon May 07, 2018 12:17 pm

Bryan:

Really cool mock up. I’m taking another route, which I hope will work. I am setting up my rudder... so it’s clearly under the boat, I am going to set my strut so that I will have enough clearance to get the prop on and off. I am also going to offset my rudder one shaft width to starboard (to the left when she’s upside down. I don’t have my engine yet, but I want to get the shaft hole drilled so I can do the coatings and epoxy /glass before the flip.

I just measured approximate clearance from the center of my shaft, currently a 1 inch dowel, and it looks like I only have enough clearance for a 12 inch prop. Possible I could squeeze in a 13 but I don’t want to push it.

In the meantime, I’ve been sanding sanding sanding. I’ve done a few color checks with sealer stain...sealer… In that order, and I think that’s the way I am going to go. This sequence gives me just enough red from the Sandusky stain. I just ordered a HVLP from rockler, which will allow for quick application of the sealer coat , and subsequently the varnish coats.

boisebrit

Postby boisebrit » Sun May 13, 2018 2:16 pm

Thanks Mick had not thought about the offset on the rudder until you brought it up and so will be doing a right hand offset for my left hand rotation prop.

Took my mind a little to catch up this morning with the diagram in the book, re-read your note and then remember the boat is curently upside down so I will drill the hole on the starboard side one shaft width over just as you.

boisebrit

Postby boisebrit » Sun May 13, 2018 5:53 pm

Got the rudder hole drilled with the offset, I am now setting up to drill the shaft hole.

I am using the parts from my donor boat, turns out the propellor I thought was 12" is actually 13" (Now I finally pulled it off the old shaft)

I can get the two inches of clearance from the prop to the underside and have 4" clearance from the rudder.

Now a question for the group, with the strut I have from the back of the prop to the start of the strut I have 4 1/2 inches between them. Is this distance OK or too much, obviously think closer between the two the better. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

Bryan

Rich Coey

Postby Rich Coey » Sun May 13, 2018 6:19 pm

Too much,
Max should be about the same as the shaft size. A 1" shaft about 1" between. An 1 1/4" can be up to 1 1/4" but 1" would still be fine with 1 1/4 shaft.
But also not too close, as you need water flow through the bearing and room to use a puller for the prop.

Rich

Bill Edmundson

Postby Bill Edmundson » Mon May 14, 2018 5:22 am

Bryan

Neel had too much clearance between the strut and prop. His shaft broke from fatigue. As rich said 1 shaft diameter.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

boisebrit

Postby boisebrit » Mon May 14, 2018 5:25 am

Thanks, thats what I thought so will look for a new strut or prop or both, it is way to much to put a shim under the strut. Glad I made up the pattern next to the boat to work out the angles.

mickfly

Postby mickfly » Mon May 14, 2018 5:58 pm

Bryan

I’m with you. I measured carefully, triple checked, for my rudder hole, before it occurred to me that the boat is upside down. It didn’t help that my phone kept flipping the drawing I had over...screen lock convinced me I was about to file and chisel out the flat spot for the rudder plate in the wrong place. I have it right now. I have more questions. I’ll give a call soon...early evening here for me ...will be late afternoon for you. Perhaps tomorrow night will work? If you see 843 area code it’s Mick!

Return to “Hankinson designs”