Key Largo Update - Boise, ID

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Bill Edmundson

Re: Key Largo Update - Boise, ID

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:21 pm

Bryan

The other problem I had, that was hard to find, the fuel line came up next to the radiator. That heated the gas and caused the floats in the SU carbs to crack and sink. I like to have never found that!

I still loved the car!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

boisebrit

Post by boisebrit » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:56 pm

If you ever make it to Idaho I will take you for a ride in one that seems to do ok even when its about a 100F. You look really cool but in reality are dripping as the thing is so hot. Couple of pics, the car at the Warhawk air museum here in town. We had a car show at the museum and gave a presentation on the Battle of Britain. The second in mid restoration, bought it restored but so dangerous underneath started it over and did it again. The P40 in the background was used in the movie valkyrie and in different markings the newer Pearl Harbor movie.

Also some trivia to get back to boats in a boat forum - a picture of the British car club visiting the McCall (Idaho) boat works on a summer tour many years ago the thing that started it all, I saw the wooden boats and asked if I could buy one to restore. Wife said no so here we are now building one from scratch, I think she has noticed now though.

Plus some links
https://mccallboatworks.com
https://www.idahobritishcars.org
https://warhawkairmuseum.org
Attachments
warhawk.png
healey.png
carclub.png

boisebrit

Post by boisebrit » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:19 pm

Ok Guys and Gals need some group therapy here.

After stain I sealed before the varnish, I forgot the product think it was petit ez sealer, instead of CPES. Read that Danenburg had moved away from CPES to the product as the color is not effected as much, plus no odor which is good.

The issue as I am now moving up to the cover boards, even with being careful tape will pull the varnish off to the stain.

So the question is do I sand down to the waterline do a partial re-stain and then start again with CPES. Or repair the issues from the tape when I finish the topside. Don't want to get it out and start having issues in the first season with the slightest touch.

Thanks - Bryan
Attachments
IMG_3541.jpg

billy c

Post by billy c » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:05 am

If the varnish is pretty fresh maybe it will be fine after it dries. If not that, I would find the instructions for the material you used and see what it recommends for topcoats and start over.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

boisebrit

Post by boisebrit » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:47 am

Thanks the varnish has been there since October so think I will have to start again, will make fairing in the decking easier. Will have to think of what to seal with before the varnish this time any suggestions welcome. Always go back to good old CPES or has anyone used an epoxy, or just varnish.

As it appears to pull off evenly I hope most of it can be removed with some more adhesive tape, I have a roll of clear adhesive carpet protector that should do the job.

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:03 am

The varnish should not pull away that easily. You might want to test other areas before re-doing the entire boat. Sounds like there wasn't a good bond between whatever you had beneath. Make sure you sand between each coat so that the varnish has something to adhere to. I used 320 grit between all coats. (see what your varnish can recommends.) After sanding wipe down the boat with Naptha before applying the varnish. Don't use mineral spirits or tack cloths. You want a nice clean surface.

I have seen the same thing when the varnish gets damaged. I had a spot on my boat that I damaged when shaping the coverboards. I was able feather out the edges and re-stain, and then re-varnish. I have only varnish on my boat, no epoxy or CPES underneath. On the first coat over the stain, you can use a varnish sealer, or just varnish thinned 50%. (that's what I did.)

Below is a pic of the damage on my boat.
Jim
Attachments
20170917_172524.jpg
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

boisebrit

Post by boisebrit » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:34 am

Awesome help as always, think it is definitely petit sealer under the varnish that's the culprit. That will teach me to read too much before I do something.

mickfly

Post by mickfly » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:29 am

As Bryan knows...I also used petit sealer over the filler stain. In my case, I had also epoxied and glassed the sides. While planing the sheer, after the flip, I noted that the glass peeled away ... too easily! I ended up scoring it and peeling it back to prevent rough tear out. I imagine I’ll be removing all the glass and redoing the sides. Fortunately , I did not use sealer on the bottom.

billy c

Post by billy c » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:24 am

Bryan are you pulling up just the varnish, or the sealer coat too?

boisebrit

Post by boisebrit » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:53 pm

Thinking just the varnish, just put tape to protect the line between finish and sheer filler as I mate the two and pulled off what appears to be just varnish. Stain seems untouched. One pic below dry and one wet, no stain on wet rag
Attachments
IMG_3557.jpg
IMG_3556.jpg

billy c

Post by billy c » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:09 am

It would be interesting to see what Danenburg has to say about your experience with this if you followed his lead. Have you posted this to his forum?

boisebrit

Post by boisebrit » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:44 am

Haven't yet I have been searching for the post that talked about the change and why. When I find I will dig deeper. For now looks like I am going down to stain + sealer. Still debating whether to sand through the stain or not will have to see what it looks like when it is stripped, need to make sure that the varnish will stick this time. I have used captains maybe a different varnish as well.

I am going to worry about that when ready to finish all the upper work, it is at least providing a nice protective layer for now.

Return to “Hankinson designs”