Barrelback waterline location

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

monitor

Barrelback waterline location

Post by monitor » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:09 pm

There is a large variation in waterline/boot top stripe locations of the boats being built in this section. It sure would be nice to get a consensus of finished Barrelback-19 & 20s actual waterline location.

"For instance, how many inches up from the bottom of the boat at the transom"

From the plans, the water line is 4" below the set up level(top of the motor stringers) which puts it about 2-1/2" up from the bottom of the boat at the transom. Sure seems like a shallow draft to me.

Any takers on this among you folks who have finished your BB?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Kinsella

billy c

Re: Barrelback waterline location

Post by billy c » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:52 am

I believe 2” below not 4 is what the plans and instructions have.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:55 am

I agree, plans say 2” below the setup level. When I translate that to draft at the transom I come up with about 5” chine to waterline. Give me another year to finish boat and I’ll measure it for you.
Matt B

monitor

Post by monitor » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:02 am

My limited research shows the bottom of the boot top stripe as the water line. Is that incorrect? Is the top of the boot top stripe the water line?
Jim Kinsella

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:16 am

The bottom of the boot stripe is at the waterline. Some prefer to have a small gap between the waterline and the stripe.
Attachments
006 (24).JPG

monitor

Post by monitor » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:28 am

The plans say "locate the top of a 2" wide boot top stripe 2" below the set-up level all around".
That's 4" to the water line if the water line is at the bottom of the boot top stripe.
What am I missing here?
That is the reason I asked for some boat-in-water measurements.
Jim Kinsella

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:56 am

There is such a variance of equipment and location that changes the CG and CB of the boats, not to mention the weight, the best way to paint your water line is to apply your bottom paint slightly below where you anticipate the water line to be and later mark the waterline with the boat in the water. Then you can finish the bottom paint (which will actually be on the sides) and add the water line accurately. It's easy to do on the trailer. I built the first Torpedo and had no reference other than the designed reference on the plans. I had to change it. Trust me, these almost never work out due to the said variances in weight distribution. If accuracy is what you seek, mark it in the water.

Roberta :D
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

monitor

Post by monitor » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:00 am

The plans say to put it in the water for an accurate WL. However, that doesn't help much with camber board and exhaust port placement.
Love to see how much variation there is in the same boat design. Specifically the BB.
Jim Kinsella

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:36 am

If this absolutely critical to you, paint just the bottom. With the engine & batteries in and half a tank of fuel, put in the water. Then, on a calm day, put it in the water. You get in the water and slowly go all the way around the boat and mark the waterline. Take the boat out of the water. I would mark a line 3/4" above your in the water line. This is for gear and people. Now paint to the new line. Then paint the boot strip above that.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

monitor

Post by monitor » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:54 pm

Great picture Neel! What a beautiful boat. Did you get the water line that close from your plans or with the boat floating?
Thanks for the input everyone! I'd be happy if my boot top was within an inch or two of the water line. At this point I am just interested in the placement of the exhaust ports.

Enjoy your weekend Dads.
Jim Kinsella

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:45 am

Jim....… I did as others have said here. I don't see anyway to get it exactly where it belongs using the plans, simply because each boat is configured differently. So what I did was mark the waterline using the plans. Then I fiberglassed the bottom to about 3/4" above my marks. Then I painted the bottom to the edge of the fiberglass. After I finished the boat, with the exception of the windshield, upholstery, and some bling, I put it in the water and let it sit in pretty dirty water for about 2 hours. Then when I got it home, I had a perfect scum line all the way around the hull giving me the exact waterline. Then I used the boot stripe to correct the original line. It was off from the plans about one inch low at the bow and an inch high at the transom. In my opinion, that is the only way to get it right. I would use the waterline off the plans to place your exhaust ports.
Attachments
006 (19).JPG

monitor

Post by monitor » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:29 am

Thanks Neel. Looking at your boat, its definately worth the effort. The boot stipe sure sets it off nicely.
Jim Kinsella

Return to “Hankinson designs”