Barrelback 20'

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Jimbob

Re: Barrelback 20'

Postby Jimbob » Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:55 pm

The cockpit in the the Barrelback is pretty far forward. With that in mind, I think you will be ahead of any spray. I have never seen full length spray rails on any classic runabout. Take a look at this site, there are lots of examples of classic runabouts. Like Neel said if you are uncertain, you can always add them later.
http://www.classicboat.com/

Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

billy c

Postby billy c » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:20 pm

Jimbob wrote:I have never seen full length spray rails on any classic runabout.
Jim

Jim the barrelback did not have spray rails, but the custom runabouts and many others do.

There may be a good reason for them sometimes :lol:
I am installing in my restoration, so will let you know how the Belle Isle does with its new rails.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

TomB

Postby TomB » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:55 pm

To add a little more maybe, many a classic had spray rails. Often times the rails are large, but they don't need to be. For example, on the site Jim listed the Chris Craft 19' Racing Runabout - 1954 had modest spray rails. Look closely along the chine. The idea is to direct the water away from the side of the hull, not protect the hull from the dock.

Tom

PeterG

Postby PeterG » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:04 pm

Yeah, most of the other Chris Craft models had them, in two different styles. Many were added at the chines after planking like we do to the Glen L boats. Other hulls had the outer corners of the chines exposed and shaped, with the bottom and the topside planks installed in rabbets cut along the length of the chines. The side planking was set into the chines such that a curb of the chine stuck out and acted like a spray rail. I like the Glen L version better!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

charlieb

Postby charlieb » Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:45 am

Now that i look at your gentry im thinking mine are too small they are about 3/4 " wide at the water side But they run from where you see them, all the way to the transom

billy c

Postby billy c » Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:32 am

charlieb wrote:Now that i look at your gentry im thinking mine are too small they are about 3/4 " wide at the water side But they run from where you see them, all the way to the transom

Run it as built, may be just fine. Easy to rework what you have if it doesn't
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Return to “Hankinson designs”