CNC Conversion

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

steveh41

Re: CNC Conversion

Post by steveh41 »

Alan,

Great idea to prime the frames while you can get to them... this is going to be a really beautiful build!

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

Alan71

Post by Alan71 »

Gents....

Thanks very much for the encouraging words!

I'm trying to do a 'first rate' amateur job.
Some days go pretty well but on others I seem to be mostly making saw dust and firewood.

Regards,
Alan

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Alan

We've all been there! :)

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

Don't ask my wife about making saw dust. You'll get an earful. If possible I would recommend some sort of dust collection system.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

Alan71

Post by Alan71 »

Hello,
It's been a good while since I've posted an update but I'm making slow headway on this boat. My wife and I were away for the months of June and September, so that was part of the slow pace. Redoing since things and improving things takes time too.

I spent a good bit of time continuing to fair the frame. I've pretty well lost my finger prints so perhaps should start a 'life of crime'!!!!

I used 2 layers of 1/4" okume on the bottom. The area of the bottom from the stem to the second frame is quite shapely so took a good while to fair satisfactorily. I have so little skill it's really difficult to get the results I'm hoping for.

For about the last 6 months I've been thinking of the benefits of being able to 'rotate' the boat as I work on various parts of it.
I was reminded of the 'rotissorie' that car restorers use on some car bodies. I looked into buying one but the price for a new one is $1000+. In addition I'd have to come up with away to use it with the boat frame.
So I decided to build 2 wooden 'pylons' and mount them to the frame with a 1/2" bolt at the transom and a 1/2" rod at the stem. I thought I'd figured it out pretty well but my wife was certain I'd have a catastrophe.
Today was the day to try to spin the boat. It worked, and it's easy to turn the boat to any position to help in having access to what I'm working on. I have 2 rope 'safety lines' that are staying in place for at least the time being.

Also this afternoon I started fitting the first of the mahogany planks I'll be using on the topsides. The planks are made from 7/16" mahogany (African) and I'm using 6" and 8" wide planks.
I was able to get the first plank fitted and hopefully will epoxy it in place tomorrow and then just about 19 more to go.
Although the 'whiskey plank' is traditionally the last plank I celelebrated the first one too. My wife with a glass of wine and me with a visit to my favorite
Old Grandad 100. Boat building is fun some days!!!

Maybe epoxy the plank in place tomorrow and start on the next one!

Regards,
Alan
DSC_0685.JPG
DSC_0688.JPG
DSC_0690.JPG

steveh41

Post by steveh41 »

Solid progress Alan... two thumbs up!

Steve
The longest journey begins with a single step… then repeat as necessary!

Return to “Hankinson designs”