Building a La Paz 24

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Yeahyeah

Re: Building a La Paz 24

Post by Yeahyeah » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:51 pm

Sapele got delivered today from Reel Lumber in Anaheim. It was milled to my specs, S4S, and two thirds the price of the rough grain VGDF. Thanks for the suggestions, fellas. Now I can get to making sawdust!

Yeahyeah

Post by Yeahyeah » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:40 pm

So I've finished building the transom, keel, stem, and frames and just finished lining them all up on the form. I was wondering if there's any insight some of you experienced builders might give me regarding attaching all these together. I'm about to attach the stem to the keel, but the rest is all just clamped in place. Can I epoxy (and screw) them all in place at this time? Or do I need to see how the battens, chine, sheer, etc all fit before I can make these connections permanent? Here's a pic.
Attachments
IMG_1545.JPG

Yeahyeah

Post by Yeahyeah » Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:11 pm

I need some advice on how to proceed in regards to my battens, chine, and planking. I've included some pics to help illustrate my dilemma.

The first is the battens as they cross frame #3 (closest to the transom of these I'm showing). Notice the straight edge touches them all.

The second is of frame #4. The straight edge touches all but the chine, sitting about 1/2" above it (circled in red).

The third is of frame #5. The straight edge touches the inner two, sits about 1/2" above the outer batten (circled in blue) and a full 1" above the chine (circled in red).

Obviously, the bottom of the hull is going to curve at some point. My question is, should I leave it as is or should I notch frame #4 at the outer batten about a 1/4" or so, and then at frame #5 notch at both the outer and middle batten (about 1/2" and 1'4" respectively) to disperse the bend more evenly across the battens? Or is there something else I should do?

thanks,

Ralph
Attachments
Frame 3 alignment.jpg
Frame 4 alignment.jpg
Frame 5 alignment.jpg

TomB

Post by TomB » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:21 pm

Hi Ralph,

I had the same question on my build and I'm still not certain...

I checked the template drawing much the way you are checking your work now. Does the chine point start to move off the straight edge at frame 3 and so on? Then I used a sheet of plywood to see if it would lay flat on the battens and make a boat-like shape.

Have you started fairing the frames? The battens should be in full contact across the frames. There may be a nugget of what's going on in there somewhere.

Tom

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:51 pm

I would check your plans with a straight edge, and see if the plans confirm what you are seeing on your frame. On the squirt (only 3 frames) the transom and first frame were flat from keel to chine, and the other frame had a significant curve from keel to chine. So what you are seeing makes sense to me.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:41 pm

Ralph

Is it the same on both sides?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:51 pm

I had to stare at your frames a minute because the battens aren’t notched in but rather the whole frame is notched. I second the suggestion of checking the plans and what Bill said about the other side. The La Paz uses 2 layers of 1/4” plywood on the bottom so it will be forgiving and make that curve as long as it’s fair.
Let’s us know how the solution works out.
Matt B

Yeahyeah

Post by Yeahyeah » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:38 pm

Bill Edmundson wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:41 pm
Ralph

Is it the same on both sides?

Bill
It is the same on both sides, Bill.

Yeahyeah

Post by Yeahyeah » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:48 pm

TomB wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:21 pm
Hi Ralph,
Have you started fairing the frames? The battens should be in full contact across the frames. There may be a nugget of what's going on in there somewhere.

Tom
I haven't touched the frames yet, Tom, and they are in full contact with the battens. I've only faired the keel and chine (and only to frame 4-5). As I lay a sheet of 1/4" ply on the battens it sits really well (really flat) up until frame #4 where you see it start to bend out near the chine. When I bend it down, it doesn't look bad. I was just wondering if all the bend should happen near the chine or if more of it should be taking place as you move closer to the keel.

TomB

Post by TomB » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:53 am

Hey Ralph,

Both sides the same and consistent with the drawing of frame 4 is great news.

I'm not sure I was clear on the fairing question. It looks as though the design begins to change the bottom planes at about frame 4. Frame 5 for sure and maybe frame 4 should get some fairing on the forward edge. Without fairing, the batten will bend across the frame, have full contact on the forward edge and have a narrow gap on the aft edge. The batten would then to too high compared to the chine.

Tom

Yeahyeah

Post by Yeahyeah » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:40 am

I was thinking about this late last night and thought that I should have included this issue in my previous post as it has bearing on what I'm thinking of doing.

The La Paz plans say to NOT end battens on a frame, but to end just short of a frame. The outer batten then is to end just short of frame #6. I've attached another picture for others to see what Tom is referencing. At frame 6, the outer batten (without any fairing or notches on frames #4 and #5) sits well above frame 6 and will thus interfere with the plywood hull. This is another reason I was thinking of notching frame #4 roughly 1/4" at the outer batten, and then about 1/2" at frame #5. This would draw the batten down, away from the bottom plywood planking. The alternative is to notch at only frame #5, or cut and fair the batten quite a bit shorter (which I think wouldn't be following the architect's intent to carry batten as far forward as possible).

(and to answer your question Tom, yes, I plan to bevel as well to match the angle as the batten dives down).

Ralph
Attachments
F#6 outer batten.jpg

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:24 am

Ralph

On my Bartender the lofting table shows a slight curvature on the frames as the plywood planking starts to bend. The instructions said that makes it a little easier to bend. They state the you can make it straight if you want and force it to lay flatter. I think that is what you are seeing. You're starting to bend upward and round to the bow.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Hankinson designs”