attaching ply subdeck

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Brian

attaching ply subdeck

Post by Brian » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:48 am

I've faired the supports and fitted the 3/8" ply subdeck pieces. I plan to use 3/4" and 1" bronze screws and epoxy to install the subdeck. What should be the spacing along the battens, frames and perimeter? #8 screws? Maybe 3" apart?

TomB

Re: attaching ply subdeck

Post by TomB » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:01 pm

Brian,

Not certain what you're building - have a look at the fastener schedule in the instructions. For my Tahoe the sub-deck is attached with 1" nails 2-3" apart at the perimeter and 3-4" apart at the battens.

Tom

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:21 pm

You could save some money and time using ringshank nails for most anchoring. Pre- drill in either case. Best to follow fastener schedules, as Tom suggested, if you have one.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:00 pm

I found the SI Bronze ring shank nails really convenient for the deck plywood. I used a couple of screws to locate the panels and the rest nails. It makes a heck of a racket though. You've got a really big drum at this point.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:49 am

I do the same as Matt. I also use PU Construction adhesives with the regular fasteners. Position with screws. Ring shanks are hard to get out if you don't like the alignment. Always predrill. some of my deck is held in place by broken drill bits.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

billy c

Post by billy c » Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:57 am

...or a palm nailer if you do not want to predrill
Billy
077914051855.jpg
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:02 am

Billy

Wish I had known. :lol: When all you have is a hammer, all problems seem to be solved with a hammer :!: :roll:

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

chugalug

Post by chugalug » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:09 pm

:D Those palm nailers are really handy.i've even driven pole barn nails underwater with that.try doing that with a hammer. :D
Working on regular-sized Bo-Jest

"If it's not crooked,It's not mine

Post by 283 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:00 pm

If using epoxy as an adhesive does one really need to screw off the sub deck (or hull) every three inches? Or are they needed for structural reasons. And if so wouldn’t there be a difference between the schedule for nails vs screws?
Mike

gdcarpenter

Post by gdcarpenter » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:16 pm

For what it's worth:

For a good 90% of the hull ply on my ZIP I used NO screws, nails, or fasteners of any kind. Only epoxy. Worked for me.
This is my first, last and only boat build.

http://www.gdzipbuild.blogspot.com

Brian

Post by Brian » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:44 am

Thanks for all the replies on my Monte Carlo question. I have also read elsewhere that the nails/screws serve no function except to hold the ply in place while the epoxy cures. The reason I thought of using #6 bronze screws instead of the nails is that screws give you some control over the squeeze out and any low spots. My fairing seems pretty good, but if I find a spot going low, all I have to do is back off the screw a little. Also, I don't want to squeeze too much epoxy out, both for structural and clean up reasons. I'm dreading getting under the deck to clean the drips before they harden. Maybe get under and pre-tape all the batten/frame edges and just let it harden? How to apply the epoxy? Not too little, not too much? Both sides (ply and structure) will take a long time, then the nailing/screwing might run into epoxy set up. Scary!

All that said, I noted gdcarpenter's comment that he used NO fasteners. I read this elsewhere and it's an attractive option, except with a barrelback like the Monte Carlo, I dont think I could get the aft 3/8" ply sub deck down tight with straps or whatever. I think I have to use screws and/or nails. Nails are certainly faster when the epoxy is setting up.

Re pre-drilling, I've scribed out the underside of the panels to locate the battens & frames. By pre-drilling on the bench from the underside, I can make sure the screws/nails always hit the desired batten/frame from the topside.

Post by 283 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:28 am

I also skipped the nails and screws on my build. I did use some temporary screws to hold things in place when clamps or weights wouldn’t work.

My hull, frames and top deck have no fasteners in them. Though I did use the carriage bolts called for on the keel and transom. But I was building the little peewee where I’d imagine the structural stresses are a lot smaller as well.
Mike

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:08 am

I found that I definitely needed the fasteners to hold things in place while the epoxy cured. At that point it is just much easier for me to leave them in permanently. If my epoxy isn't perfect everywhere it's nice to know that there are about 1000 fasteners in there.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

billy c

Post by billy c » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:09 am

When you impact your first dock on a rough day, or are out in tough seas you will be thankful for all the fasteners you put in there. :roll:
Experiment on test pieces to get the proper amount of epoxy on your glue-up so you have no cleanup. I usually roll a coat of neat epoxy on the bottom of the subdeck then a thickened coat on the longitudinal members and frames, screw down deck with a few predrilled locator screws and nail along lines I have drawn on the top of the deck panel.
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:36 am

I agree with Matt and Billy. I like my fasteners when I jump a wake and the boat really pounds! Glue is great right up to the time it just turns loose. If it can't move in the first place because of the fasteners, the glue won't break.

I'm in the Glued an Screwed/Nailed camp.

Bill
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Hankinson designs”