Rome, Ga. Barrelback

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

GregHall

Rome, Ga. Barrelback

Post by GregHall » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:10 pm

I guess I can go ahead and start my Barrelback build thread. I'll be publishing videos of each step of my project on my YouTube Channel (www.youtube.com/c/austringercreations) and more frequent updates with photos here in the forum.
I picked up my engine and transmission last week, consulted with my local Sawyer today about milling the wood (which grew on my property) for the frame and will order the full plans from Glen-L within the next couple days.
In the meantime, here's the first video in the series, which I've already published on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/MbvvfAiwIyI
Building a Barrelback in Rome, Ga.
Never fly with anyone braver than you.
Never run out of airspeed, altitude and ideas at the same time.
www.youtube.com/c/austringercreations

GregHall

Re: Rome, Ga. Barrelback

Post by GregHall » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:27 pm

The plans have been ordered, let's do this!

kens

Post by kens » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:04 am

Awesome find on those engines. the 283 should do quite nicely.
I also went through my build with the engine item first.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

jenko

Post by jenko » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:58 pm

I also started with engine ,have fun with the build,
btw my wife and I had our first breakfast in the US at the Honeymoon Bakery in Rome GA :D

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:49 pm

This project will be a lot of fun to follow. What condition is the wood from your property, is it fresh cut or was it harvested a while ago? It's "green-ness" will be a factor, meaning moisture content. As wood dries it shrinks which may cause problems with warping or checking. Usually the best lumber for boats is quarter sawn that will be more stable as it dries. I don't remember the target moisture content (12%?) But air drying lumber can take quite a long time depending on the climate. You probably have this sorted out already, I'm just curious to see how this goes.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

GregHall

Post by GregHall » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:36 pm

Wow! It really is a small world! The Honeymoon Bakery on Broad St, it's still here!
jenko wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:58 pm
I also started with engine ,have fun with the build,
btw my wife and I had our first breakfast in the US at the Honeymoon Bakery in Rome GA :D

GregHall

Post by GregHall » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:39 pm

Yeah, we have several seasoned white oak logs but I have access to a kiln to finish drying the frames. The planking I'll mill to 1/4" and let them air
dry in the barn until I'm ready. Planks that thin will air dry quickly and shouldn't split too badly.
PeterG wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:49 pm
This project will be a lot of fun to follow. What condition is the wood from your property, is it fresh cut or was it harvested a while ago? It's "green-ness" will be a factor, meaning moisture content. As wood dries it shrinks which may cause problems with warping or checking. Usually the best lumber for boats is quarter sawn that will be more stable as it dries. I don't remember the target moisture content (12%?) But air drying lumber can take quite a long time depending on the climate. You probably have this sorted out already, I'm just curious to see how this goes.

GregHall

Post by GregHall » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:19 pm

My plans arrived today, I hope to start milling lumber later this week if the weather clears up. I need to move a couple fg boats around and clear a spot to build a pole barn to start my build, too. Won't be long before this thing starts taking shape hopefully!

GregHall

Post by GregHall » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:50 am

Well, I got a chance to look over my new plans last night and so far the only critique I have is that the template sheet came folded. I had hoped that after spending more than $230 they'd come rolled in a tube and not have folded creases in them. I know this may be a minor issue but for a "type A" builder it's annoying. However, I'm sure I'll be able to straighten them enough to get them into a tube to save them from future unnecessary damage.

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:53 pm

That would be the only half-complaint or mildly annoying thing for me too, folded patterns with the potential for slightly stretched paper... I have the plans and patterns for the Key Largo (same hull, different interior) and found the plans are minimally dimensioned, you have to use the patterns. Just need to be careful with how you use the patterns so that you don't introduce errors. Good luck and keep posting!
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:21 pm

:lol: If they are "Blue Line" copies, they are already stretched. They are already a little big. You will "fair" the frames to a final line. That line will not match the drawing perfectly. Wood moves a lot. Enjoy your build1 :)

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

hoodman

Post by hoodman » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:19 pm

I think I used a low iron to smooth out the creases on the patterns. Worked just fine and didn't have any issues after.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

GregHall

Post by GregHall » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:09 pm

Got my first order of ring nails and screws from Glen-L today and have the first tentative name for the boat: "Escape Clause". This one may or may not survive 'til the end of the build but I've been told that "Sportin' Wood" ain't gonna cut it. As soon as this monsoon season is over we're going to start milling wood so I can get it to the kiln to dry so I can start framing it. I have two canoes to finish first while the white oak dries, though. I also started going over the engines to see what I can salvage and what I'll have to replace and found that at least one has gotten water into at least one cylinder at some point and rusted it pretty badly. I knew I would have to do a full rebuild but now I'm just hoping that at least one of the blocks will be usable. I need to find someone with knowledge about the early '60s Chris Craft Chevrolet 283 (flywheel forward) marine engines to help me with some information before I begin tearing them down. I've found bits and pieces of information, enough to know that the typical GM firing order is useless and pistons in some models have to be rotated 180 degrees in the cylinders so I'm having to relearn procedures I mastered in my teenage hotrod years.

Mr Hot Rod

Flywheel Forward Info

Post by Mr Hot Rod » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:00 pm

GregHall wrote:I need to find someone with knowledge about the early '60s Chris Craft Chevrolet 283 (flywheel forward) marine engines to help me with some information before I begin tearing them down.
You may have missed our post covering Bruce Dow's Flywheel-Forward 283 rebuild in the 'Boat Power/Support Knowledge Base - Inboard engine builds' thread :
More info on our website :

Check out Bruce's Monaco videos in our Video Directory (see link in my sig line).

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com
Glen-L Hot Rod build thread
Kane Custom Boats YouTube channel
Glen-L Boat Video Directory

GregHall

Re: Flywheel Forward Info

Post by GregHall » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:19 pm

Awesome! I'll have to check it out! I checked the block casting and found that mine are 1958-1962 models.
Mr Hot Rod wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:00 pm
GregHall wrote:I need to find someone with knowledge about the early '60s Chris Craft Chevrolet 283 (flywheel forward) marine engines to help me with some information before I begin tearing them down.
You may have missed our post covering Bruce Dow's Flywheel-Forward 283 rebuild in the 'Boat Power/Support Knowledge Base - Inboard engine builds' thread :
More info on our website :

Check out Bruce's Monaco videos in our Video Directory (see link in my sig line).

Building the Glen-L Hot Rod : http://www.kanecustomboats.com
Glen-L Hot Rod build thread
Kane Custom Boats YouTube channel
Glen-L Boat Video Directory

Return to “Hankinson designs”