Need help on finding a motor for a 20' barrelback

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

DavO

Need help on finding a motor for a 20' barrelback

Post by DavO » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:54 pm

I am getting near the point where I will be finished with the bottom planking, and will want to drill a hole for the propeller shaft and rudder. Trying to gather suggestions from across several posts, I believe that I should have a motor picked out so that I can properly position the holes. I would like a V6 engine that is in very good condition (rebuilt is fine, but needs to be relatively new-ish). I have gone to sites like michiganmotors, but they do not seem to be selling turnkey V6 inboards any longer. Does anyone know of a place I can go for assistance? I am willing to pay extra if it means a simpler and more reliable motor installation.
Attachments
IMG_0380.jpg

hoodman

Re: Need help on finding a motor for a 20' barrelback

Post by hoodman » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:11 am

It should be fairly easy to find a 4.3l Mercury inboard. Although, it doesn't appear that they sell them new anymore.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

PeterG

Post by PeterG » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:48 am

Try contacting Doug Russell marine, they seem to have everything you might need. www.dougrussell.com
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.
Griffin's Law: Murphy was an optimist.

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:15 am

Check with Michigan Motorz again. They can probably set you up with what you want. When I got my new v6 mercruiser from them, they only had the i/o version. They converted it into the inboard version that included the velvet drive transmission. If you want a v6, you will probably only find it in an i/o configuration. I went with the v6 because it is plenty of power for the dull design of the barrelback, and is shorter in length than the v8 motor, for an easier fit.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

DavO

Post by DavO » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:33 am

Thanks for everyone's help.

I spoke with Michiganmotorz again, and they do have the exact solution that Jim mentioned - thanks for the help! Jim, I assume that if you had to do it again, you would make the same decision with the carburetor V6? Of course having extra horse power/torque to take off sounds like fun, and I do like the modern fuel-injected V8 engines, but the extra room that the V6 provides seems to be the greater advantage. I wonder if I would even recognize the extra power?

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:09 am

The V6 should be just fine for the Barrel Back. These boats with the flat bottoms were never meant for high speeds. If Michigan motors can build one with fuel injection, you might want to consider that option. The newer V6 engines have the horsepower that the older V8 had. Enjoy.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:50 am

One of the advantages of the fuel injection over the carburetor is that it will adjust for different altitudes and it's easier to start in cold weather. I live in sacramento with elevation less than 1000 ft. Lake Tahoe is about 5000 ft. (I will be going there also). At the higher altitude you will loose about 20% power with the carburetor version. The fuel injection can adjust for the altitude. If you are changing altitudes, you might consider the fuel injection system. It also is supposed to get better mileage. The mechanics here at work (new car dealership) all recommend the fuel injection system. If I remember correctly, the height of the fuel injected engine is slightly lower that the carburetor version. I ended up with the MPI version v6 mercruiser.
Jim
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:13 pm

I too like the idea of a V6 in the BB, 190hp vs 250hp, who cares? we’re not winning any drag races either way.
Most V6’s are I/O setups. Finding a bell housing for the V6 is what’s needed. Here’s what I found.
Carb vs Fuelie, depends on your skill set I guess, Electrical is my weak area so I’ll take a carb. Jim has a valid point about altitude changes. The fuelie will adjust AFR while the carb will not and run rich. Carb could easily be jetted to make same power as the fuelie at any altitude, it’s the drastic change the carb can’t handle.
My 351 engine decision came down to giving up 4.5 inches to save money and keep it simple... and I’m a Motörhead, someday when the water is glass and running next to a V6 BB on the Tennesseee River that extra 3 mph makes all the difference for my ego.
Matt B
Attachments
FF9398A0-071D-4D05-916D-5274DC988468.jpeg

kens

Post by kens » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:46 pm

Before you get all wound up on a fuel injected V6, may I present my own experience with a V6. Some years ago I saw the Mercruiser booth at the new boat show, and they had a EFI V6 on display. I never saw so many sensors, indicators, whatever, plumbing, wiring, etc., etc. all over the engine. It was covered up with so much electronic 'stuff' that it even looked 'heavy'. I dug into the specs on it and sure enough it was heavier than its carbureted cousin, by a lot. For what it is worth to me, there is no advantage to all the electronic gee-gaws if it comes out heavier.
If it's heavier, then it takes more power to push it, and there goes your EFI advantage.

The real advantage you could get over some old used engine, is to select a carbureted one with true GM VORTEC heads and factory roller cam. This production series engines came about in the mid-to-late '90's (in cars). I don't know exactly when it was standardized in marine applications. Funny thing that EFI came about around the same time as Vortec. So, dont get all wound up about EFI, when it is really the roller cam and Vortec heads that gets you where you want to be, plus it's lighter if its carbed.

What are Vortec heads? They are factory produced high flowing heads, cast iron. Years gone by in the street racing world, there was GM high flow heads you could buy over the counter as 'GM Performance' parts. The Vortec is a version of the high performance heads produced out of the factory.
It is standard on new production engines, but on a used engine, you have to verify.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

kens

Post by kens » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:07 pm

here you go, scroll down and see the MPI as 70lbs heavier
https://www.michiganmotorz.com/complete ... p-244.html
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Return to “Hankinson designs”