Barrelback 19 planing

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Lucion

Re: Barrelback 19 planing

Post by Lucion » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:04 pm

It's one to one no matter which direction correct? Just have to not forget about which way to shift. The prop I started with is a left hand.

Roberta

Post by Roberta » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:20 pm

Right hand rotation will be clockwise when looking at the prop from the rear when in forward. Left hand, or standard rotation will be counterclockwise viewing from the rear

Only certain velvet drive transmissions can be run at full speed in either direction. I don't think you have one that does that.

Your helm is on the starboard side and would benefit from right hand, counter rotating drive. But if your engine and transmission are standard rotation, you must use left hand props.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

kens

Post by kens » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:37 pm

Lucion wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:04 pm
It's one to one no matter which direction correct? Just have to not forget about which way to shift. The prop I started with is a left hand.
no,
that transmission is to turn the same direction as the engine rotation. you do not run that transmission in reverse to run an opposite turning prop.
If you have a L/H turning engine, then you set up that transmission for L/H, and you use a L/H prop.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Lucion

Post by Lucion » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:26 am

I understand. The prop I got on EBay was the only 10x11 that I saw. I am about to run out of summer to work this planning problem out. Oh well I'll keep looking. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Hankinson designs”