Bob Brown’s Belle

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

BobBrown55

Bob Brown’s Belle

Post by BobBrown55 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:01 am

... continuing this from my earlier (short) topic in the Power Boat section. This group seems more appropriate for my Belle Isle.

Finally have moved my Belle Isle build up to the top of my priorities. Finished the fiberglass on the bottom and sides and have been working on sanding it to prep for paint and varnish, the final steps before the flip!

I’ve been surprised at how much sanding the epoxy can and should take! Attached picture shows where I am, with the bottom sanded and the sides waiting their turn. Just going with 80 grit up to the boot stripe, which will be painted. Expect to go to finer grit for the sections to be varnished.

Looking at this and doing a bit of work to clean the epoxy dust off, that seems like a challenge, to get it clean enough for paint and varnish. Anyone have any secrets for that?
Attachments
_MG_4841.jpg
Building the Belle Isle ... slowly.

JimmY

Re: Bob Brown’s Belle

Post by JimmY » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:13 pm

Yes, but it is a secret :lol:

Your craftsmanship look great so far.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:57 pm

Managed to clean the epoxy dust off, using all the methods I could think of, vacuum cleaner, cotton rags, wet cotton rags, and finally a tack rag. That stuff seems more difficult to clean up than good old wood dust. Glad to be done with the epoxy!

On Friday the 13th, I used a water level to mark the setup level on the side, used a green laser to mark the edge of the bottom paint, and tested the primer on a small section of the bottom. Anxious to get the rest of the bottom primed this coming week!
Attachments
img_3250.jpg
img_3249.jpg
img_3247.jpg

BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:45 pm

Got her flipped last weekend!

The ‘structure’ I built to hold her for the flip in my limited garage workspace worked very well. (One feature was that it needed to be easily setup and removed so the Belle could return to her resting spot and the garage door closed.). The straps could have been better thought out, as their length needs to change during the flip. But we figured that out on the fly and she’s now comfy on her new cradle.

VERY EXCITED to move on to the next phase.

Here she is hanging from the straps with the building frame legs gone ...
IMG_3517.jpg
Here she is vertical ...
IMG_2677.jpg
Here’s the gang that helped with the flip, and the Belle after she was bottom down in the straps ...
IMG_2682.jpg
Last edited by BobBrown55 on Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:46 pm

One more photo from my flip. Here I am making motor noises at the toy wheel I installed just for that purpose, celebrating with my ‘kids’ ...
IMG_2689.jpg

BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:51 pm

Question, to confirm what I think I know ... The tag on my Scorpion 350 motor says “Engine Rotation ... LH.”

That means my steering wheel should be on the left / port side. Correct?

CarlM

Post by CarlM » Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:56 pm

Congratulations on the flip! She definitely has a beautiful hull! I was thinking of going with the same color scheme for my bottom paint. What did you use, and what was your experience with the products? Enjoy making those boat noises, you deserve it!!..............Carl

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:08 pm

Bob
LH means that looking from the stern the rotation is counter-clockwise. Now if the prop also rotates that way in forward then the helm should be on the left. Some gears can be set up to rotate either direction. If you set it up to rotate clockwise the helm will be on the right.

Confused yet?

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:54 pm

Carl,

Thanks! Awesome to get her flipped.

I used Interlux VC Offshore for the bottom paint, copying Robert Cugini. It’s spendy and stinks, but it seems to be a very good product. After wet sanding and burnishing (both first time for me), it looks great and feels really slick! I would use it again. I’ll send you more details on the product and related primer.

Bob

BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:56 pm

Bill,

Thanks! That confirms what I thought.

I believe the transmission is straight through 1:1, so the prop should go LH / counterclockwise, too. I’ll confirm that, but it sounds like my helm will be on the port side (where the purple toy wheel is now).

Thanks again!

Bob

BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:41 pm

Carl,

Here’s a photo of the bottom paint I used, the VC Offshore, and the thinner and 2-part primer used with it.

Hope this helps,

Bob
IMG_3073.jpg

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:34 am

Very nice Bob.... Would you consider making a drawing of the "flipping gantry"?? I can't quite figure out how it all works and it looks like it's the only way to flip a boat. Thanks,,, Neel

JimmY

Post by JimmY » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:42 am

Congrats on the flip! Looking forward to see how you finish off the deck.
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

CarlM

Post by CarlM » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:45 am

Bob,
Thanks for the information I appreciate it!!
Carl

BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:19 am

neel thompson wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:34 am
Very nice Bob.... Would you consider making a drawing of the "flipping gantry"?? I can't quite figure out how it all works and it looks like it's the only way to flip a boat. Thanks,,, Neel
Neel,

Hopefully, a couple of pictures and some explanation will be better than my drawings.

1. Basic setup up was 2 pairs of vertical 2x4's connected together with 3.5" 2x4 spacers. The spacers enabled them to be loosely bolted to horizontal 2x4's bolted to the ceiling joist and the garage door frame. The horizontal 2x4's were not expected to carry a load; their purpose was to provide stability to the vertical 2x4's, which were carrying the load (i.e., primarily to keep them from collapsing toward each other). Everything but the upper horizontal 2x4's (which are bolted overhead) can be removed in a few minutes so the boat can go back to its diagonal storage location.

2. 1" diameter holes were drilled in the 2x4 pairs and pipe inserted / bolted in place. On one side, the pipes / bolts were inserted through the loops in the heavy duty straps. On the other side, the straps were looped over the pipe / bolt and connected by chain / shackle to a pipe / bolt lower on the 2x4 pair. This was meant to be the way to adjust the strap length, but it was inadequate.

3. A 3rd 2x4 was attached to the initial pairs (with spacers like the first pair) to provide a way to adjust the length of the straps. The theory was this would be used with the hoist and a short strap to lift the near (starboard) side. Then when she was vertical, this would be attached to the far (port) side, to lift to upright / level.

The framing worked great. The strap system, not so well. If I did it again, I would probably use shorter straps, connect the straps to ropes, have pulleys at the top of the 2x4 pairs (at least on one side), and use 2 hoists to adjust the length of the straps. I'm not sure a 3rd hoist would be needed. Shortening the straps holding the boat tends to lift the near side. A few guys can provide more than enough additional lift to get her to roll.

I will get to test this 'revised theory' somewhat because I will use the same structure to lift her onto a trailer. I may also use it to lift the motor when it comes time to install it.

Hope this is clear and helpful. Let me know if you have questions.

This shows the 'back' set of vertical 2x4's pairs and the connection to the horizontal 2x4 bolted to the ceiling joist.
IMG_3390.jpg
This shows the straps holding the boat. The pair of 2x4's with the top horizontal attached to the garage door frame can be seen in front with a strap attached. The other pair can be seen in the background, with a 'main' strap and the hoist attached to a second strap.
IMG_3517.jpg
This shows the '3rd' 2x4 added to the initial pairs. It provided a means to shorten the straps as the boat turned.
IMG_2676.jpg

Return to “Hankinson designs”