Bob Brown’s Belle

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

neel thompson

Re: Bob Brown’s Belle

Post by neel thompson » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:42 am

Thanks Bob.... I think I get it, but I've gotta quickly get to my "Thinking Chair" ….. I'm having a little trouble figuring out the come along, how it's attached, and what it is attached to. Also not clear on the strap shortening process and how it failed....

TomB

Post by TomB » Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:14 am

Ingenious rigging Bob. Congratulations on the flip and fine workmanship.

I hung my boat from the ceiling with straps and rope. Like you, I was surprised by the change in rope length during the flip. The problem can be visualized in your photo of the boat suspended before the flip, the length of strap is two times the vertical run almost to the floor plus the length of the strap across the beam. As the boat is turned the beam length of strap becomes the heigh of the boat strap...maybe four or five feet shorter.

Tom

BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:03 pm

TomB wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:14 am
Ingenious rigging Bob. Congratulations on the flip and fine workmanship.

I hung my boat from the ceiling with straps and rope. Like you, I was surprised by the change in rope length during the flip. The problem can be visualized in your photo of the boat suspended before the flip, the length of strap is two times the vertical run almost to the floor plus the length of the strap across the beam. As the boat is turned the beam length of strap becomes the heigh of the boat strap...maybe four or five feet shorter.

Tom
Thanks, Tom. You're exactly right on the issue with the length of the straps. Wish I'd thought more about that before. It wouldn't have been that hard to even model it with a piece of wood shaped with the Belle's profile and a piece of string. But, the wooden structure was the key and we were able to overcome the issue in a few minutes, so all that was lost was style points.
Building the Belle Isle ... slowly.

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:36 pm

I had trouble with the lengths too, on the Tahoe.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:50 am

It's procurement day (again). Getting parts for the water intake. I think I'm going to get this fancy filter. How are these mounted? I can't tell from the picture (see below). Should I drill a hole in that tab and bolt it to something?

Ah, wait. On the Jamestown Distributors website, there's this in response to a question: The strainer has a mounting bracket that screws or bolts to a vertical flat member such as a bulkhead, etc. The strainer attaches to the mounting bracket and is fastened in place with a nylon wire tie.

Anyone have any good pictures of how that looks after installation?
Screen Shot 2019-10-30 at 9.46.07 AM.png
Last edited by BobBrown55 on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:08 am

Hi Bob,
I have the same fancy filter. It comes with a bronze piece that the filter hangs on. I attached that bronze piece to a wood bracket that is attached to the motor stringer. Downwind Marine out of San Diego (you can find them online) has a good selection of bronze fittings for the hose connections.
Pics below of my setup
Jim
Attachments
20190812_170434.jpg
20190812_170255.jpg
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:55 am

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the photos. I see the bracket. Looks simple. (Though making it look as nice as you did might not be so simple.)

That helps a lot. I appreciate it!

This stuff is expensive!

Thanks again,

Bob

BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:00 am

Jim,

One more comment. Looks like Jamestown is tough to beat on price. They have the filter for $265. Downwind is at $335 and Fawcett (where I found good prices on silicon bronze carriage bolts) is at $350.

Bob

BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:42 pm

Jimbob wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:08 am
Hi Bob,
I have the same fancy filter. It comes with a bronze piece that the filter hangs on. I attached that bronze piece to a wood bracket that is attached to the motor stringer. Downwind Marine out of San Diego (you can find them online) has a good selection of bronze fittings for the hose connections.
Pics below of my setup
Jim
Jim, a question on your setup. What diameter connections do you have coming out of the seawater pickup? Mine is 1-1/2", but the 90 degree hose barb I'm finding to come out of that has a connection for 1-3/4" hose, which I can't find.

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:11 pm

Hi Bob,
I think I got mine from wholesale marine.com . Just checked, their 1 1/2" filter is 234.43.
I got some of the harder to find fittings from downwind marine. They probably have what you are looking for.
If I remember correctly my system is 1 1/2" throughout.
Will check my invoices tonight when I get home and let you know what I got, and where.

here's a few other suppliers I have used.
defender marine
go2marine
wholesale marine (one of my favorites)
iboats.com
fisheriessupply.com
don't forget glen-l
Jim Neeley

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:24 pm

Ok Bob here you go.
the fittings are all 1 1/4". Bought the 1 1/4" filter from go2marine.com for 172.24. Also bought the fittings from them. Pic of the mounting bracket below.
Jim
Attachments
20191030_170618.jpg
Jim Neeley

BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:23 pm

Thanks, Jim. That’s all very helpful, especially the photo of the bracket and your installation.

Thank you!

Bob

BobBrown55

Post by BobBrown55 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:47 pm

Epoxy issues ...

I’m working to seal the interior and having issues with the epoxy.

I applied 2 coats of CPES and it has dried for several days. I’m pretty sure it’s dry as it’s not sticky at all and, as mentioned, it has been several days since the application was finished.

But the epoxy application is not going well. Immediately after application, it looks nice and smooth, but it soon develops a weird blotchy appearance. See the photo.

I’ve tried both MAS epoxy (which I used successfully for the bottom and sides) and West Systems, which I used to glue the frames and for the cold molding.

Both seem to be within spec for current temps. It has been consistently above 50 degrees in my garage / shop. It is humid (seems like 110% humidity today, but actually at 86% right now), but it Is always humid here in Oregon.

I’ve kept the epoxy in the house for a couple of weeks so it would be a bit warmer than the garage and hopefully have better viscosity.

I’ve tried each of the following on different sections:
1. Warm the wood with a heat gun (this also dries it a bit).
2. Sand before applying the epoxy (and vacuum up the dust).
3. Clean the surface with Naptha thinner.

None of this prep makes any difference.

I was concerned that the West Systems epoxy had been here for a while (like 2+ years), but their website says that shouldn’t be an issue. And, the good news is that the epoxy cures to a solid finish (both brands).
85355A93-DDF4-438A-BFCD-65E2FE9E5870.jpeg
A second coat seems to fill the ‘holes’ pretty well, but it sure seems weird that I’m getting this weird result.

The only other thing I can think to try is to use epoxy that’s at the same temp as the garage / boat. Maybe the sudden cooling (from 70 to 55) is causing this?

What am I missing? What would cause this?

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:48 am

This is just a suggestion Bob..... I use West System and have found if you put on very thin coats later in the day as the temperature starts to drop, the results are much better. Not sure but, from your picture, it appears you are putting on very thick coats. Even though it doesn't look like you want, it certainly appears to be encapsulated.

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:17 am

I have never used cpes before, but does it get an amine blush? That is what it looks like. The surface needs to be cleaned with warm soapy water.
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."

Return to “Hankinson designs”