Joel Bauer’s Coronado (Laurel Lynn)

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Joel Bauer

Joel Bauer’s Coronado (Laurel Lynn)

Post by Joel Bauer » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:40 pm

Hello all;
Got my Coronado plans last night and the timing was great as I have the rest of the week off! Spent the day looking over the plans and have made a few decisions which brought up a few questions. Lol, I’m sure that is going to be the par for this course. So I am definitely opting for stretching it out to the max by adding in a duplicate frame 1 which will give another 2’9” to the overall length. This takes the overall length from 25’8” to 28’5”. I am thinking this takes the DWL (designed water line) from 21’3” to 24’. Is this correct or does the DWL level change when you stretch out the boat? I am also not sure how stretching it out affects the CB (centre of buoyancy)? The CB on the standard plan is just forward of frame 3. To stretch the boat out the extra frame and space is added in aft of this CB. I also am going with twin outboards which will bring more weight to the aft of the boat. Very concerned about the CB and definitely don’t want her out of balance as that just looks weird.

I have called around and found a supplier for the fir lumber but will have to scarf all the long members as no one has full length available. My plan is to build all the frames and have them secured on the building frame over the winter. Can’t progress any further until spring as I will be building it in an unheated garage as mine is too small. While doing this I will have time to work on the cabin and dodger layout. Hoping that the larger boat length will give me enough room to put a convertible hard top on the dodger using the same lines in the plan. Would like to have the hard top removable so I could bring the boat South to enjoy some Florida sunshine.

Looking at the plans I was amazed and can appreciate the effort a designer puts in to come up with a boat which has such beautiful lines and proportion. The Coronado is being given the name Laurel Lynn which comes from the middle names of my two daughters. Cheers all! I would appreciate any feedback you can give from your experience.
Attachments
Coronado Design Profile
Coronado Design Profile

Hercdrvr

Re: Joel Bauer’s Coronado (Laurel Lynn)

Post by Hercdrvr » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:34 pm

Hi Joel,
Congratulations on getting started, I’ll be watching your build as I plan to build a Nor’wester (same hull as Coronado) when I finish my Barrel-back.
I’ve never read anything about stretching a hull changing the waterline. To me, the waterline of a boat is where it is when I finish the boat and put it in the water.
You asked about twin outboards upsetting the CB. The plans call for twin outboards or a single I/O up to 1300 lbs. I think you’ll be just fine hanging a couple of 450lb 150HP engines on it.
As far as the CB of the hull, if you keep the weight where is was designed to be it should all be fine. Example, don’t move an 80 gallon fuel tank forward 10 feet from it’s designed location.
Best of luck to you and keep us posted,
Matt B

mickfly

Post by mickfly » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:30 pm

Boise Brit gave me the idea for a scarfing jig (table saw) that has saved me a lot of time and given me solid joints. Sounds like you are ready to go, but I (or Bryan) will be happy to share the idea.

Joel Bauer

Post by Joel Bauer » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:25 pm

Hercdrvr wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:34 pm
Hi Joel,
Congratulations on getting started, I’ll be watching your build as I plan to build a Nor’wester (same hull as Coronado) when I finish my Barrel-back.
I’ve never read anything about stretching a hull changing the waterline. To me, the waterline of a boat is where it is when I finish the boat and put it in the water.
You asked about twin outboards upsetting the CB. The plans call for twin outboards or a single I/O up to 1300 lbs. I think you’ll be just fine hanging a couple of 450lb 150HP engines on it.
As far as the CB of the hull, if you keep the weight where is was designed to be it should all be fine. Example, don’t move an 80 gallon fuel tank forward 10 feet from it’s designed location.
Best of luck to you and keep us posted,
Matt B
Thanks for the reassurance Matt. Put me at ease reading this and thinking about what is actually happening with the additional length.
mickfly wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:30 pm
Boise Brit gave me the idea for a scarfing jig (table saw) that has saved me a lot of time and given me solid joints. Sounds like you are ready to go, but I (or Bryan) will be happy to share the idea.
Thanks Mickfly. Would love to hear the idea for the table saw scarfing jig! Do you have any good suggestions for scarfing plywood?

Spent a lot of time looking at and figuring out the pattern sheet today. Got a price list from the lumber supplier and I am figuring out the rough lengths of the frame members so I can put together a cutting list. Going to put my table-saw to work ripping members out of larger stock. All the stock from the supplier will be rough cut so ripping will actually help out with some planing. Ordered a couple sets of planer blades for the job. Sourced out a supplier for the marine grade plywood today but won’t order that for a while as I can get it anytime with a weeks notice. Cheers all!

TomB

Post by TomB » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:47 pm

Joel,

I ordered rough cut too. The down side was that I couldn't see the character of the wood very well. My lumber has a lot of color variability, tame to gnarly grain, and a few defects that would have caused the board to be rejected at purchase. Next time I will go with surface two sides and I will still plane to desired thickness.

Tom

mickfly

Post by mickfly » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:48 am

I asked Boise Brit to post a photo of his scarfing jig. I know you can scarf plywood but I’ve not done it. On my smaller projects (sailboat and kayak) I butt-joined the plywood and glued and screwed a “seam backer” of the same material.

Joel Bauer

Post by Joel Bauer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:43 am

TomB wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:47 pm
Joel,

I ordered rough cut too. The down side was that I couldn't see the character of the wood very well. My lumber has a lot of color variability, tame to gnarly grain, and a few defects that would have caused the board to be rejected at purchase. Next time I will go with surface two sides and I will still plane to desired thickness.

Tom
I would have liked to go with S2S but that was not an option. My plan is to first give each piece a quick plane with my old planer knives to reveal colour and exposed grain. Once I see that I will choose pieces for clear wood finishing. The thing I’m most concerned about is finding pieces that I can rip so I have the edge grain I want and hoping to find some old growth wood too! Btw, I checked out your thread on your Tahoe build, that’s going to be a sweet boat!
mickfly wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:48 am
I asked Boise Brit to post a photo of his scarfing jig. I know you can scarf plywood but I’ve not done it. On my smaller projects (sailboat and kayak) I butt-joined the plywood and glued and screwed a “seam backer” of the same material.
Thanks, I appreciate that. Did some browsing on the forums last night and it seems the easiest way to scarf plywood is to stack all the plywood pieces and stagger for the correct joint width. Seems simple enough so I am going to do it this way.

Going to pick up some material today to make the table to layout and assemble the frames. Going to make it extra stable to support all the plywood I’m going to scarf later. Cheers all and thanks for all your input.

Joel

TomB

Post by TomB » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:52 am

Thanks for the kind words.

Most people use butt block with the joint in a relatively flat area. I have scarfed plywood, here's how.

8 to 1 slope on the scarf, so for a 1/2" plywood, the scarf is 4" wide. Rough cut the plywood pieces with plenty of overlap paying attention to sheet direction and the how the finished scarp will lay on the sheets (square to one edge might not work on the sides) Stack the pieces to be scarfed with the same side of both pieces up. Mark the width of the scarf on the bottom piece and align the edge of the top piece on the bottom piece scarf line and clamp the two pieces together. Mark the scarf width on the top piece. So for 1/2" plywood the edge of the bottom sheet to the top sheet scarf line is 8". Plane off the area between the top scarf line and the bottom sheet edge. The plane will ride on the high edge until you're down to the line. When finished the scarfed edge will run flat from top piece scarf line --> bottom edge of the top piece -->bottom piece edge. Try it on a scrap, you'll be surprised how fast it can be done.

Tom

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:51 am

Hi Joel,

I see in the information about the Coronado plans on the Glen L website that it says the plans include a 28'3" length option which is very close to the 28'5" you mentioned in your post. I think your plans will say how to achieve the 28'3" option which normally is by increasing the spacing between all the frames. If you follow the designers 28'3" option then you will not have to worry about any affects to the design waterline as you are following the instructions from the designer.

Good luck with your build.

boisebrit

Post by boisebrit » Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:02 pm

Hope not too late for pic travelling this week, here is my scarfing jig, works great if you have a look on my galley pics I also had a glue up jig, very simple to make and use.

Boise Brit - AKA Bryan
Attachments
battens-feather.jpg

Joel Bauer

Post by Joel Bauer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:27 pm

TomB wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:52 am
Thanks for the kind words.

Most people use butt block with the joint in a relatively flat area. I have scarfed plywood, here's how.

8 to 1 slope on the scarf, so for a 1/2" plywood, the scarf is 4" wide. Rough cut the plywood pieces with plenty of overlap paying attention to sheet direction and the how the finished scarp will lay on the sheets (square to one edge might not work on the sides) Stack the pieces to be scarfed with the same side of both pieces up. Mark the width of the scarf on the bottom piece and align the edge of the top piece on the bottom piece scarf line and clamp the two pieces together. Mark the scarf width on the top piece. So for 1/2" plywood the edge of the bottom sheet to the top sheet scarf line is 8". Plane off the area between the top scarf line and the bottom sheet edge. The plane will ride on the high edge until you're down to the line. When finished the scarfed edge will run flat from top piece scarf line --> bottom edge of the top piece -->bottom piece edge. Try it on a scrap, you'll be surprised how fast it can be done.

Tom
Great explanation Tom. Thank you.

Got the lumber list finished today and hope to get it purchased over the weekend. Decided to hold off on making the layout table yet and plan a bit more on its design. Want it the same height as the table saw so I can use it for support on the out feed of the saw. Cheers

Joel

Joel Bauer

Post by Joel Bauer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:56 pm

Cyclone wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:51 am
Hi Joel,

I see in the information about the Coronado plans on the Glen L website that it says the plans include a 28'3" length option which is very close to the 28'5" you mentioned in your post. I think your plans will say how to achieve the 28'3" option which normally is by increasing the spacing between all the frames. If you follow the designers 28'3" option then you will not have to worry about any affects to the design waterline as you are following the instructions from the designer.

Good luck with your build.
Thank you for your observation Cyclone. At the time I wrote about my Center of Balance concern I had just finished reading about CB in the “Builders Notebook” put out by Glen-L. My concern originated because the power plant is effectively being pushed back 2’9” back from the CB in the plan. Thinking about it now I realize that it really is not an issue. The plan would not allow for an increase in size if it put the boat out of balance. I also should have put in my original post that the 28’5” is an option put out in the plans so you can keep the original frame spacing by adding a duplicate frame 1 for a stronger boat. Thank you for your concern and taking the time to help me out.

Joel

Joel Bauer

Post by Joel Bauer » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:01 pm

boisebrit wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:02 pm
Hope not too late for pic travelling this week, here is my scarfing jig, works great if you have a look on my galley pics I also had a glue up jig, very simple to make and use.

Boise Brit - AKA Bryan
Thanks Boise Brit! Will definitely look out for the glue up jig.

Joel

TomB

Post by TomB » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:04 am

Add a couple of cam clamps to the scarfing jig to keep the work from moving as it is pushed through the saw. Tom

Return to “Hankinson designs”