Flats Flyer in Sweden

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

TYB

Flats Flyer in Sweden

Post by TYB » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:30 pm

Hey you all, I received my plans for the Flats Flyer few days ago, I have said hello to you all under “New members”. I intend to make the 19’ 9” option as a bass boat. After a fast one over of the plans I came up with some questions. As I am located in Sweden and will build my boat in our garage, which is not isolated I am sad to say, the progress will not be lightning fast during late fall and winter months!

I will start the planning and buying materials and build a model of “my boat” to familiarize myself with the plans during the cold month. (and clean and organize the garage, tools everywhere!!!). And finish the long overdue stairs renovation to keep the missus happy.
I will try to document my build both here on the forum and on youtube. It will not be a fast build but I have time.
To my questions then, as I intend to build the 19’ 9” length option I think I understand the plans that the length gets extended but not the beam? The distance from the (1) keel to the chime points and the distance from the (2) chime points to the sheer points stays the same independent of the length option selected?

If I decide, if it’s doable? Can I add some distance to ether one to make the boat have a slight wider beam and/or higher sides/Freeboard? I am not taking about 10% increase to the plans that I have seen some of you have done. I am taking about maybe 4-5” on each side of the keel to extend the beam.
My goal is the proportions of the beam/length of the hull to match a more modern bass boat like the Ranger Z519L. it would be in the ballpark of 7” and sides maybe 2-3”?
I will not mess with the deadrise. (Am I allowed to mention commercial brands on the forum?)

What say the collective? My best to all of you boat builders
Tony Borgebäck

Conrad

Re: Flats Flyer in Sweden

Post by Conrad » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:28 pm

Hey man,

Congrats on starting the flyer. The plans recommend against widening the beam, though, as a woodworker, I know there are ways around just about everything if done correctly. That said, any wider would cause issues for trailering out here so I left it as it was planned. I did end up accidentally extending it to 20' 1" though. I'm moving to Germany for 3-4 years in Jan so you should be done with it before I am! Mine has been plagued with work trips and house problems. I'll have mine flipped, trailered and stored. Look forward to seeing your progress.

John
Keep your lines tight!

Conrad

Consider what God has done: Who can straighten what he has made crooked? Ecc 7:13 :)

Gayle Brantuk

Post by Gayle Brantuk » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:12 am

Welcome, Tony! I'm from the collective and you will be assimilated :lol: As John stated, we don't recommend changing the beam, freeboard and other design features because it's generally outside the abilities of most builders. I suggest you read the article on this subject on our site: https://www.glen-l.com/changing-plans/.

Look forward to seeing your progress on the Flats Flyer model!

TYB

Post by TYB » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:14 am

Hey and thanks for the support, I understand that it’s not recommended to do any alternations to the plans but I think I can handle the woodworking aspect of the build process as I am both an engineer and a carpenter/cabinetmaker. After saying that, I will point out that I have never built a boat by my self, I have help out many years back ones, it was bult fiberglass. To do something new that is the thing that makes it so thrilling and hopefully rewarding.
Back to my questions, If I decide to mess with something of the alternatives that I mention in my previous post…ones again “the collective”, what are your recommendation? What are the obstacles and problems going one or more of the routs? What should I stay away from?

Thanks
T "Borg"

Return to “Hankinson designs”