Varnish: gloss or semi gloss?

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Brian

Re: Varnish: gloss or semi gloss?

Post by Brian »

BTW, if you're still using the Maha, Bob has a side entry binding now that is much easier for "older guys" to get into!

kens

Post by kens »

I used the semi-gloss varnish on the inside of stripper canoe. I love it.
It does not show imperfections like a gloss does. It is also a bit of gloss to it, enough to look good and hide small blemish at same time.
Other builders will say to block sand and continue on to a blemish free surface, and thats fine, but if you want to hide small stuff, I think semigloss is the way to go.
My canoe is for hard usage not for showing off high gloss, and the semi gloss is a good answer for this.
here is the inside :
download/file.php?id=30431&mode=view
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Oyster

Post by Oyster »

Nice work Kens!

Brian

Post by Brian »

In fact, I also have used semi gloss on the inside mahogany. Gloss is way to shiny for that. Sierra Boat says they use gloss for the deck and hull, and that board sanding with 220 with lots of coats of varnish will minimize minor waviness. So that's where I'm going. I have made boards with 3X36" belts, contact cemented. But they clog constantly and I have to scrape them off every few minutes. Going to take a long time to sand.

monitor

Post by monitor »

Perty canoe Ken! Is that a recent build? Seats?
Jim Kinsella

TomB

Post by TomB »

Brian,

This is the paper I've been using. https://www.aaabrasives.com/norton-2-3- ... 78EALw_wcB It has an adhesive back and cuts well without loading too much. Just cut off what you need, stick it on, sand until the paper starts to turn from silver/blue to blue/silver, peel it off, repeat thousands of times. 80 to 400 grit

Tom

Brian

Post by Brian »

Thanks, Tom. I used that on my bottom long board, but between then and now, can't find it here anymore. I need to order it on the Internet.

220 wet works great, but you can't get it in long strips. I'm thinking of using a 220 belt (36") cut in the middle and mounted on a board as a wet board. Dry sanding is just clogging continuously. Worth an experiment, I think.

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

If your sand paper is clogging. Try one of these "erasers". They work great for cleaning sandpaper, whether on a machine or hand sanding paper. You can get them at rockler.
Jim
Attachments
Sander not included.  ha ha
Sander not included. ha ha
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Brian

Post by Brian »

Thanks Jimbob, got one of those. I'm using a belt to make a long board, so it's not on a belt sander. Both the eraser block and a stiff brush cleans off the clogs, but we have to do it about every 10 strokes! I tried a 220 wet sheet on a block, which works great except it's not very long and you can't really see what you're doing because everything is immediately clear with the water. In any case, we are slogging away at it and now, after sanding, have put on a coat thinned only about 5%, as recommended. I have to say, I can see the difference. So I think the answer is continued board sanding and maybe 3-4 more 5% coats of Epiphanes. Fortunately, it is only the aft half of the sides that is a little wavy.

Brian

Post by Brian »

Necessity being the mother of invention, I think I have something to contribute back here. I had a board about 18" long, with a nice plastic grip and a rubber pad, about 3" wide. Two small screws on each end top secured a new 36" 220 sander belt (cut in the middle). Using a small hand towel soaked with water, I placed it above the board to keep things wet while sanding, keeping it in place with a finger. This works really well as wet sandpaper, easier sanding, and no clogging. Just refresh the towel once in awhile to keep the water flowing past the board. The belt doesn't deteriorate in water, and cuts well. I did about 10 sf of one aft side in about 30 minutes, taking down the high spots and getting a very uniform surface. Keep a bucket of clear water to rinse and a large towel to wipe dry, so you can see where you are. After the frustration of dry sanding the varnish, this is going to work much better.

I think two more coats with this technique and done! Well, done with the sides anyway.

Return to “Hankinson designs”