Modifying the Tahoe 23 design

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Pizzazz

Modifying the Tahoe 23 design

Post by Pizzazz »

OK, maybe I am just dreaming here, but after seeing the Yon'e 22, I want to build a similar boat. I would like to do something similar to the Ypn'e 22, except that I would like to build it to a 25ft length with an 8ft beam (instead of 6'9") with an I/O propulsion set-up. I was thinking about moving the cockpit back slightly farther than what was done on the Yon'e 22 and build the front into a small cuddy cabin. I'm kind of basing this idea on the Stingray 230SX interior design.

This doesn't seem like too hard of a feat to accomplish, but I thought I'd run it by some people that are more experienced at this than myself.

JimmY

Re: Modifying the Tahoe 23 design

Post by JimmY »

Others will chime in, but the Tahoe is designed for an inboard motor, and moving that much weight back for an I/O is not recommended. Look at other designs that are intended for an I/O and modify from there.

Boat designs can typically be stretched (10%), but widening them is not recommended either.

My $0.02
-Jim
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like wrinkles in your duct tape!

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

A very expensive experiment if you don't have the proper design background. You could end up with something that handles / performs poorly or is outright hazardous.
LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of "Buffalo" Bill Cody and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Increasing the beam is not recommended and moving a 700 lb engine and drive aft would make you a test pilot. Suggest finding a design suited to your specifications.
Matt B

Pizzazz

Post by Pizzazz »

Those were the answers I was expecting :( . I have no doubt that you are correct, but can anyone elaborate as to why?

Is anyone familiar with Bill Yonescu's Yon'e 22? I posted links to his you tube videos below. I read on this forum that the hull was a Tahoe 23 and the top was his own design. It was an I/O. He also had a straight transom as opposed to the angled one in the design. I would assume because of the I/O set-up.

I was considering lengthening the design to 25ft by adding frames instead of spacing them farther apart (I thought the extra length would help to compensate for the powerplant and drive being in the stern.) Then, making the frames beefier/thicker than the plans called for. The most that would be added to a frame would be about 6 or 7 inches on either side to widen the beam and I could use heavier, stiffer stringers and possibly space them further apart. Most of all, the hull design would still follow the same lines/designs as original, just on a larger scale and the bow section would remain mostly unchanged.

I understand that moving the engine aft would change the weight distribution, but when you are talking about a 23/25ft long boat, Is it that much of a problem? I am familiar with quite a few I/O's and the bow does sit considerably higher than if it was a true Inboard. A friend of mine had a light weight 36ft Pantera with 2 I/O 496's and the stern practically took on water when it wasn't underway. Of course, I realize that was an offshore racing boat ....

Check out these videos of Yon'e 22;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXpm7hErKLc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG0-XPOwrxo

Maybe you can tell me what he changed on the hull design to accommodate his design since you probably know better than I what you are looking at.

I started looking for other designs that are closer to what I want, but I wanted to retain the mahogany runabout look. I also haven't found anything that comes close, but if this idea is a dead issue, I'll keep looking. Worse come to worse, I'll just buy a Stingray 230SX when I sell my Larson.

Thanks for the help.

Pizzazz

Post by Pizzazz »

I just read the section on "changing plans" and it helped to answer a lot of my questions.

I am still wondering how it all worked out in the case of the Yon'e 22, though.

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Whenever I watch the dockside video of the Yone 22, I always come away thinking there's too much weight aft of the center of balance. Maybe it's just fine but that's what my eyes see. Hats off to Mr. Yonescu for the ambitious project.
LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of "Buffalo" Bill Cody and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

I only saw the boat one time at G-2 or G-3. Very pretty. We didn't get to see it run. I think he put it in the water and didn't like the sound or something and pulled it right back out. To call it a modified Tahoe is just incorrect. It is pretty. I just don't care for it. I think Bill sold it to someone down under.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

TomB

Post by TomB »

Plus one, for don't try this at home.

23' or 25' won't have much effect on the issue of engine placement. It would be like floating a pencil in the sink with a weight on one end. Sharpened or unsharpened, one end will be out of the water. The trick would be to come up with a combination of redistribution weight and added displacement aft (a wide behind) to offset moving 1000# to the stern.

You might also reach out to BayouBengal. His boat look sort of Tahoe-ish and has an I/O.

Tom

Pizzazz

Post by Pizzazz »

Alright, so I am looking at the Renegade 21 and stretching it to 23ft. I was thinking of building up the sides of the top decks to achieve a higher deck to accommodate the cuddy cabin and maybe shortening the forward length of the cockpit to increase the cabin's size.

Power wise, I was thinking about a 6.2 V8 with a Bravo III drive.

Does anyone know if this design results in a relatively flat planing boat?

TomB

Post by TomB »

Significantly more freeboard in the Tahoe than the Renegade, about 8" and the Tahoe has about 28" between the floor and underside of the deck structure. The max design engine weight at 1000# may be an issue for the 6.2 bravo. Have you considered the LaPaz stretched to 24'? Tom

Pizzazz

Post by Pizzazz »

The LaPaz could be a good candidate or even the Lazy Daze. Either one, I would stretch to a 24ft.

kens

Post by kens »

Geez man, you are all over the place with your question.
you started with a cold-mold mahogany that you wanted to stretch BOTH beam & length & make stern drive.
then you went to ply skins boat.
If the boat you quote in the OP is a modernistic approach to a interior, and you want stern-drive, and you want a go-fast boat, then,
you should look at something that is already close to what you want:

Bolero,
https://www.glen-l.com/designs/inboard/bolero.html

Bandido,
https://www.glen-l.com/designs/inboard/bandido.html

The interior is something you can easily build/design to suit your taste, but the 'running bottom' you should not mess with other than to stretch the length by spacing the frames.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Pizzazz

Post by Pizzazz »

I really like the Bolero, I hadn't seen it yet, I must have missed that one. I had looked at the Bandido and thought it was more of a race boat vs what I was looking for.

Both are good ideas to consider. I am also considering ideas to make my current Larson 310 more versatile (move-able). I posted about building a trailer for it today. I would still love to build my own boat, but getting on the water is the end result and I am weighing options as to how I can do that the fastest.

Thank you for the input, I really appreciate it.

monitor

Post by monitor »

Most "builders" who go into a big project to get it done, or to get on the water asap, never finish.
Build to enjoy the build.
My observations.
Have fun whichever way you go.
Jim Kinsella

Return to “Hankinson designs”