Modifying the Tahoe 23 design

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

Bluesman

Re: Modifying the Tahoe 23 design

Post by Bluesman »

This is a good point, one thing you might consider is buying something suitable now so you're on the water this year, then start building what you really want and can take your time. When you're finished with the build, sell the other boat.

Of course, I went the other direction. I had a boat and sold it for various reasons, but the need to use it would've taken away from valuable build time. Being "boatless" isn't all that bad.
LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of "Buffalo" Bill Cody and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

Aussie

Post by Aussie »

Being "boatless" isn't all that bad"

Said NOBODY EVER!! :D :D

I have a boat now but it killed me everytime I seen a new launch on the forum. I did plan for a reasonably quick build but ended up being 8 years.

I agree, don't try and rush the build, build what you want and enjoy it. I will be starting my new project soon (Car restoration) but ill be making a couple of wake boards for the boat in the meantime.

We have had about 3 weeks of wet weather and not been able to take the boat out, we now also have a cyclone forming and more rain coming.

Don't know how you gents go in your cold winters and parking your boats up and not getting to use them, 3 weeks and I am hangin out to get out there!

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Bolero sounds like the boat you want to me. Finish the deck like a mahogany runabout and you would have a really sweet looking boat. Also, something to keep in mind: These boats are much lighter than their production counterparts. You're don't need 500 hp to "go fast". I agree with the others. If you want a boat to be on the water as soon as possible you'll probably need something else to hold you over until the new boat is ready. Maybe find a donor boat that has the engine you want and run that while you build the new one during the off-seasons. It's likely to take you several years to complete unless you are retired.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

Being "boatless" isn't all that bad"

Said NOBODY EVER!! :D :D
Yup, I said it. Enjoyed what I had but it was time to move on and start a new chapter.
20200310_183001.jpg
LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of "Buffalo" Bill Cody and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

I went into my build initially wanting to have a boat at less cost than buying new. I figured I could finish it in 3 years. Ha! As I progressed, I started really enjoying the satisfaction of just building it. Of course as time has gone on (7.5 year now) I am more and more wanting to get on the water. But I am avoiding the temptation to rush this as it's a one time deal for me. There won't be a second one. And I have enough detail work remaining, even after I get it on the water, to keep me busy for years.

I agree with the others here. If all you are after is a quick way to get a boat, then buy a used boat. If you want to enjoy the build process and gain an immeasurable amount of satisfaction, then build the boat, but build one you want because these things do take time and commitment.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

Return to “Hankinson designs”