Florida Barrelback

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

kens

Re: Florida Barrelback

Post by kens »

Is the guy in Vero Beach still there?
Boatbuilder central?
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

Still building a boat. Took a little two week hiatus to get scuba certified with my son. Keel is installed and one chine is ready to go in.
Attachments
6E1B8434-6D19-4BDC-B90C-2C9BE0EDEB6A.jpeg

acflynn

Post by acflynn »

Lookin' Good! I'm right behind you - starting on the chines this weekend

- Andrew
Slowly building a Mist Miss in the Arizona desert

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Looks great! There are a lot of Barrelbacks being built right now
Matt B

CoreyT

Post by CoreyT »

acflynn wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:09 pm
Lookin' Good! I'm right behind you - starting on the chines this weekend

- Andrew
I’m at the same point as well. I’m doing the chine tonight. It’ll be my first time ever steam bending wood.

mrintense

Post by mrintense »

Nice work on the build so far John. I think the Barrelback's chine looks to be an easier fit than my Vera Cruise was. I used the steaming method from the Tips From A Shipwright YouTube channel. Using plastic bagging. Worked like a champ.
Carl

Crafting a classically styled Vera Cruise

Clipper Boating

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

It may be because I live in Florida where the garage is essentially a steam room but, I had no problem coaxing them into shape. Now cutting the notches was a whole different story. I’m going to need a few shims... I think I finally figured out a process:
1: Determine which side of the frame will need to be faired down.
2: clamp the chime log in place against the unnotched frames.
3: place a small piece of same sized scrap parallel to the chine flush with the unfaired edge
4: mark the top (bottom technically) of the frame.
5: place the piece of scrap on the unfaired side aligned with the top mark and against the clamped chime. Mark the side of the frame, vertical and horizontal.
6: Align the clamped chine with the horizontal mark from 5. Mark the outside of the frame.
7: Cut all 3 random angles a little short with a pull saw.
8: File to final fit.

There are three random angles going on here. It’s seems to be more art than science. I’m an engineer. It drives me nuts!!!

One note of caution: on frame 7 ignore the plywood. If I had it to do again id remove enough plywood to be able to do the above steps against the aft end of frame 7. Frame 7 will be significantly shimmed on my boat!

I have a guy coming today to install AC in my garage. I’m trying to get all the long parts cut and glued so that I can spend the better part of August with the doors closed working in 72° instead of 92°!!!
Attachments
3C1A037B-0EB3-4503-9E38-61B32E66B766.jpeg

CoreyT

Post by CoreyT »

FL-John wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:21 am
It may be because I live in Florida where the garage is essentially a steam room but, I had no problem coaxing them into shape. Now cutting the notches was a whole different story. I’m going to need a few shims... I think I finally figured out a process:
1: Determine which side of the frame will need to be faired down.
2: clamp the chime log in place against the unnotched frames.
3: place a small piece of same sized scrap parallel to the chine flush with the unfaired edge
4: mark the top (bottom technically) of the frame.
5: place the piece of scrap on the unfaired side aligned with the top mark and against the clamped chime. Mark the side of the frame, vertical and horizontal.
6: Align the clamped chine with the horizontal mark from 5. Mark the outside of the frame.
7: Cut all 3 random angles a little short with a pull saw.
8: File to final fit.

There are three random angles going on here. It’s seems to be more art than science. I’m an engineer. It drives me nuts!!!

One note of caution: on frame 7 ignore the plywood. If I had it to do again id remove enough plywood to be able to do the above steps against the aft end of frame 7. Frame 7 will be significantly shimmed on my boat!

I have a guy coming today to install AC in my garage. I’m trying to get all the long parts cut and glued so that I can spend the better part of August with the doors closed working in 72° instead of 92°!!!
Couldn’t agree more. Lots of lessons learned on this project and definitely picked up some skills along the way. I fit my starboard chine into place last night and learned from my mistakes for the port chine. Sitting in my chair with a Miller light today watching the steam do it’s magic. Time for a refill.

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

I think I understand this part of the plans but before I do something stupid...
Sheer detail
Sheer detail
I put the two layers of sheer in at the sheer point on each frame.

Frame 6 and 7 get a third lamination between frames behind the first two layers.

Frames 1,2 and the transom get at least a third layer outside.

Plywood and planking goes to the sheer point.

Additional material will need to be added between the sheer and the covering board. Some of this will be exposed.

The additional filler material can (should) be added once the boat is righted???

Have I got that pretty close?

CoreyT

Post by CoreyT »

I am a couple days behind you and won’t be doing any of that until I get my lumber in next week. That said I have read that exact blue print a couple of times and have yet to fully digest it. This is the first boat I have ever built so I am absolutely going to have to default to the much more experienced boat builders in the forum. I don’t want to blow smoke and give you bad information. If ya got some pics of your build after you’ve finished your sheer laminations id like to see them if you have the time. BTW Don’t know what part of flordia you live in but I will be moving to Mayport Flordia March 2022. My daughter lives in Jacksonville. Sorry I couldn’t be of more help but I’ll be following closely cause I’m almost to that point as well.

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

Hi Corey. I’m just north of Tampa.

Wrestling that sheer into place was a mess. I had to recruit help and it’s still not perfect. It drifted a little vertically as I was attempting to drill glue and screw all at once... I have no idea what problems that’s going to cause me down the road but I guess I’ll deal with it when I get there.
020B25D6-E736-4435-926B-D6F94C0916AF.jpeg
I basically screwed it to the breasthook and let it run as wild as space in the garage allowed. I’m going to let it cure a little before I attach it to the frames. I have three screws in there but I’m not very confident of their holding ability in the end grain of plywood. The good news is the Florida heat and humidity allowed me to fit it without any steaming or wet rags 😀

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

I’m starting to think about the next step, battens. Question, in the pic below I’m considering landing the inboard batten on the keel and the outboard on the chine. That seems to be where they want to go. Does anyone have pics of those joints?

I’m wondering if I need to twist the inboard batten to vertical or if there will be enough material to fair it to the correct shape.

For the one landing on the chine I have no idea what that joint would look like...
Attachments
635D45AF-F6AA-4B67-B1CE-AE5422C0CB56.jpeg

monitor

Post by monitor »

20180324_134527.jpg
20180414_155818.jpg
John, this photo shows how my battons went in. The 2nd photo is how I delt with the ones that were too hard to bend. Either steam them or laminate them.
Hope this helps.
Jim Kinsella

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

Thanks Jim! That’s exactly what I needed to see. I just went through your build thread. Beautiful boat!

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

Well I had my first broken batten today. Took Friday off to make a 4 day boat building weekend and started off like this:
D0BB7309-B419-4240-948F-5E7B8A032B4F.jpeg
I’m starting to see all the imperfections and wonder how this is going to end up. Then I go look at the curves of the barrel back and start feeling good again.
F83C469F-A054-4EB6-B868-C197EB880B8B.jpeg
My boat is not perfect. I may be in over my head. Still pushing forward. I seem to need more clamps...
8BC23D6C-4F9F-461D-A95D-634C5F589238.jpeg

Return to “Hankinson designs”