Florida Barrelback

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

mickfly

Re: Florida Barrelback

Post by mickfly »

This is not a novel suggestion, as I'm sure I picked it up on the forum. I had a devil of a time getting the forward battens to both curve and twist. An option is to make them thicker and fair them, but I opted for a cheap wall-paper steamer which I inserted into the center of a 10 foot PVC pipe (about 2'" diameter, with a scrap of wood zip tied to it as the steam can cause the PVC to bend a bit). I steamed the battens in place, with the first few screws near the transom already fastened, but the last two or so left open. After about a 45 min to an hour in the steamer, wearing gloves, I could clamp the batten to the frames where the screws will go, bend and twist the batten into place and screw it in until cooled. Once cooled, I took the screws out and epoxied and screwed it back into place.

CoreyT

Post by CoreyT »

I bought a steamer to use on the chine and sheer, but it wasn’t working as well as I wanted it to so I opted wrapping them in towels and pouring booming water over the towel. That seemed to work much better for me. I’m going to fair my keel this weekend and then install the battens so if the hot water doesn’t do the trick I may go back to steaming. Thanks for the heads ups.

acflynn

Post by acflynn »

I had my chines clamped and mostly bent, using the boiling water and hot towels, but one of them cracked overnight. Now (after a week's delay), I'll be attempting the "Tips from a Shipwright" approach to steaming in place. My chines are 1-1/8" x 2", and it just couldn't handle the bending, curving, AND twisting all at once. The towels cooled off way too quickly.

Here's the YouTube link to that Tips video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--iPQIwSEJM
Slowly building a Mist Miss in the Arizona desert

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

I ended up making a PVC steam box and repurposed my wife’s old clothes steamer. It worked great. It was 97° in Florida yesterday so I didn’t lose much heat from the box to the boat. I now have the side battens in place on the port side. I’ll be working on the top battens today. Then on to the starboard side.
28E131FB-833A-4865-ADE6-0691153FBB25.jpeg

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

I steamed this thing into compliance!!!
2DAC6327-248C-44DD-B349-75711C91AA9F.jpeg

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

Steam and anger gets the job done, well done.
Matt B

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

I got tired of cutting notches for battens so I started rough fairing the port side. I'm feeling pretty good up to frame 7 then things start getting a little dicey. I'm really struggling with the transition from the sheer to the first batten at the stem and every picture I can find of a faired boat is cut off about halfway down the stem.

So... If you have a full frontal picture of a faired Barrelback, Key Largo, Bell Isle, etc. let's see it!

Thanks in advance!!!

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

John,,, I found a picture of the faired bow on my Palm Beach. It has a very similar bow profile to the BB. You will be sanding/planing a lot of wood off of the stem to get it fair. From my picture you can see how far back the chine meets the stem. Neel
Attachments
20180723_113516.jpg

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

neel thompson wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:49 am
John,,, I found a picture of the faired bow on my Palm Beach. It has a very similar bow profile to the BB. You will be sanding/planing a lot of wood off of the stem to get it fair. From my picture you can see how far back the chine meets the stem. Neel
Neel,
I like the way you tied the 1st bottom and side battens to the chine, very professional looking.
Matt B

Aussie

Post by Aussie »

Hi

Some pics of my Belle Isle.

I am in power Boats under Aussie Belle
Should be plenty of pics in there

Looking good!
Attachments
A48B82C3-482E-4431-8BF8-B2418E87AA36.png
98BFB438-9688-4BC8-91D9-746751389495.png
D8663E27-0E2A-40AE-9CD1-8281808BDAB3.png

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

Thanks guys. I’m currently sitting in my thinking chair and sorting it out.
image.jpg

I think my problem was the angle of approach of the bottom batten so I added a little lamination and things seem to be working now.

Return to “Hankinson designs”