Florida Barrelback

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

steves

Re: Florida Barrelback

Post by steves »

use the ring shank nails, but think about the locations of battons, carlins, shears etc. I had to cut through some nails because I put them right where I shouldn't have!

Steve

Roberta

Post by Roberta »

Predrill for nails. Otherwise you will bend them over or split the wood. Use a bit just under the diameter of the nail.

Roberta
Roberta "Queen of the Boat Builders"
Built Zip "Oliver IV", Super Spartan "Jimmy 70", and Torpedo "The Glen L".

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

Still building a boat. I lost two weeks to injury and one week to a family visit. Unfortunately I seem to have depleted the supply of mahogany in the Tampa Bay Area. More in stock on Wednesday. Should have frames done by July. I felt the need to do a little mock up today since a pic of a stack of frames leaning against the wall is not nearly as impressive.
A7790966-25E5-4FA9-8E5A-164F6A08D286.jpeg

kens

Post by kens »

Mock ups are good, good therapy too.
At some point you will be in a mockup, sitting on a egg rate, and buzzing your lips making engine noises.

Whats the wood looking canoe/kayak hanging in the ceiling background ???
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Way to go. You'll be laying the keel in no time.
Matt

Building a Geronimo......!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25139

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

:) Nice Flag back there! :) WDE4WDE

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

billy c

Post by billy c »

John-
Nice job on the frames! You’ll never see your garage as dust free as it is now for a few years!
Enjoy the build.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

billy c wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:14 am
John-
Nice job on the frames! You’ll never see your garage as dust free as it is now for a few years!
Enjoy the build.
Billy
True, painfully true
Matt B

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

Thanks guys!

The wood kayak is a CLC boat I built last year. It was the trial run for this project. Here’s the finished boat:
A512B21B-F970-4A3E-BCBF-46CFBDA67423.jpeg
WDE Bill! Here’s hoping college football happens this year.

I’m pretty meticulous about sawdust. If I leave it in the garage the kids track it all over the house. Anything the dust collection system doesn’t pick up gets blown out several times a day. I get that fairing is a whole different animal but I’ll stay optimistic.

kens

Post by kens »

Since you did the kayak in prep for the BarrelB, you are well on your way to a good build.
I have not built a cold mold hull, I built a 25' planked hull, but I do see 3 common areas in all the posts on the forum:

the junction of stem-chines-breasthook
the fairing process
drilling the shaft hole

The shaft hole was the head scratcher for me. I took a 2x6 and drilled shaft hole in that, that gave me a mockup that I could relate to the actual keel and engine position.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

So, I found out today that I am competing with a local legend for mahogany. Anyone that has been to Tampa and dined appropriately has eaten at the Columbia restaurant in Ybor City. My lumber source happens to be in Ybor city and the Columbia, which is a block away, is building an addition to their restaurant, largely out of mahogany...I had to plane 5 quarters lumber down to 3/4” today to continue building frames. The price has also gone up to $9 a board foot. May be time to find a new source. The good news is I don’t need much more in the short term.
E523CB15-8E5C-42AD-8EC8-FEA228B09D9F.jpeg

billy c

Post by billy c »

Yes seems like just finding the material is going to be pretty much the norm for awhile. Even common framing lumber has been in short supply in NH. Went to Lowes for PT 2x and shelves were empty.
Probably a good idea to find your marine plywood source too.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

I sell lumber. We are totally out of deck boards, 4x4s, and a bunch of other stuff. We get a couple of bunks in here and there and they are gone within a day or two. The treatment plants probably won't be caught up until next spring.
Matt

kens

Post by kens »

hoodman wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:16 am
I sell lumber. We are totally out of deck boards, 4x4s, and a bunch of other stuff. We get a couple of bunks in here and there and they are gone within a day or two. The treatment plants probably won't be caught up until next spring.
Same here,
whats up with that?
Is everybody building a new deck with Trump's covid money???

hoodman

Post by hoodman »

Mills not able to run at peak capacity coupled with record high demand. We had a healthy supply of lumber to start the spring off. Then we got wiped out it about 6 weeks. Now every store is pretty much out of every size of deck boards and 4x4s. And everyone wants to build a deck right now. Phone rings off the hook all day long with people looking for deck boards.

With playgrounds closed we sold out of playset kits.

Similar things are happening with suppliers of almost everything.
kens wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:53 pm

Same here,
whats up with that?
Is everybody building a new deck with Trump's covid money???
Matt

Return to “Hankinson designs”