Florida Barrelback

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

FL-John

Re: Florida Barrelback

Post by FL-John »

Time to figure out the transom. This has me scratching my head a little so I built a (very rough) cardboard mock up.

I think I have this right now. The transom is basically a cylindrical section intersected by another cylindrical section?

The camber boards keep the same arc in plan view but the ends get cut to meet the arc seen looking forward?

Here’s a pic of my little mock up. Am I on the right track?
With out side or deck planking it would look something like this?
With out side or deck planking it would look something like this?

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

That’s it, all the camber boards are identical. The difference is how long each camber board is.
Matt B
Attachments
65B9CE7E-1ED9-46DE-9794-BF4722129A66.jpeg

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

Thanks Matt! That pic is exactly what I needed! This isn’t that hard. It seems a boat is built one well built piece at a time!

Aussie

Post by Aussie »

John,

Couple of more photo’s of transom.

As Matt said camber boards are all the same and just get trimmed off inline with the sides If hull.

I installed all the camber pieces, cut them off inline with side of hull and then installed the filler blocks.

Leave yourself plenty of room for the exhaust Cutout. Is a super strong transom and wish I had of space framed it more than I did.

Jamie
Attachments
BB6B70AD-6A01-4595-BFDF-9BB2C1B86171.png
9968B1A1-9547-415C-B795-759687435816.png

billy c

Post by billy c »

John,
Agree with Jamie about the room for the exhaust when you place your camber boards in the false transom assembly. Also if you are planning on a true lift ring on the transom, get your blocking in place before you close up that area.
Billy
(insert Witty phrase here)
Billy's Belle Isle website

mickfly

Post by mickfly »

I wish I cut my exhaust holes out earlier. I waited until rear deck beams were in (I'm building Key Largo version of BB, so only one-frame length for rear deck) and it was a pain to get back there and do the cut-out.

I followed the plans for the placement of camber boards and am now fretting that the cut-outs might not be high enough...depends on where the water line falls, I suppose. I floated without engine and it looks like I'll be okay, but I wish I had another inch or two.

I suppose if you move the cambers away from the measures on the plan, the shape might change? Love the shape of the barrelback--curved in both planes--and is what attracted me to this design.

Mick

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

If (and that's a BIG if) I understand the way the transom goes together correctly you should be able to move the camber boards up or down without affecting the shape.

Am I hearing that if the camber boards are installed to plan they potentially interfere with the exhaust?

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

If you look closely at my Tahoe build you will see that i screwed up the camber boards the first time and had ti move one for the exhaust.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Bluesman

Post by Bluesman »

I took a cue from Bill on this one and made damned sure I knew where the exhaust would land before I built my transom..
Attachments
20190920_140012.jpg
Tahoe - 21' under construction

LeClaire, IA - Birthplace of "Buffalo" Bill Cody and home of the American Pickers on The History Channel

Aussie

Post by Aussie »

John,
I installed as per plan and no issues.

Just cut the ply wood from top of bottom camber board to the bottom of the middle camber board to give room for the exhaust

steves

Post by steves »

I installed my transom as per the plans and do not have any issues with interference from the exhaust either.

I did cut the inside plywood prior to gluing the camber boards and the remaining transom together, it was easier to do at that point. Don't forget to seal all that wood while its easy to get too as well!

Steve

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

I’m finishing the last frame tonight which means I’m a transom away from starting the building form. It also means I’m at the point of no return on boat length. What all that really means is it’s stupid question time, so here goes...

1. Do I install the camber boards on the transom before or after it’s mounted to the stringers. I can see pros and cons to both.

2. Adding a foot to the boat will buy me an extra 4” in the cockpit. Are there any other benefits?

3. It looks like the uprights of the form next to the transom stay in the boat and need to be mahogany or DF. I assume I can use studs from Home Depot for the rest of the form?

Any other words of wisdom as I make the transition from frame builder to boat builder are certainly welcome!

kens

Post by kens »

As far as I know on this forum, nobody that ever stretched their hull has had a complaint.
But, there some that built regular per the plans and later say 'I wish I had stretched it'

And, a hull form longer and leaner will always have the better seakeeping attributes.
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Hi John,
As a fellow barrelback builder, this is what I did on the transom.
I installed the camber boards after the transom was in place. I wanted to make sure everything was in place and lined up properly before I attached the camber boards.
I used pocket screws to hold the camber boards in place while the epoxy dried. I thought it would be much easier to line up rather than screwing from the other side. My camber boards are thick towards the deck of the boat. My lift ring/ski tow that is bolted through that thick laminated camber has plenty of strength. I also routed out channels in the bottom camber boards to allow for drainage I only have one plug as opposed to two (one for each side of the keel). Make sure that you position your camber boards where you want your exhaust. Some want the exhaust ports over the waterline, some want them at the waterline.

I felt that adding a foot to the boat paid off. 4" can mean a lot in the cockpit area. Also 4" can mean a lot when installing the engine.

Studs are fine for the build form. I used mahogany for the parts that stay in the boat. I used 1/4" bolts in my form rather that screws so I could really tighten things up. Keep in mind that you want it to be easy when you remove the form after the flip.

Jim
Attachments
routed out drain area
routed out drain area
attaching the camber boards
attaching the camber boards
transom and camber boards before install
transom and camber boards before install
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

Jimbob