Florida Barrelback

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

FL-John

Re: Florida Barrelback

Post by FL-John »

Thanks Jim! That was exactly what I was thinking on the transom and the drain idea is great. I think I’ll borrow that! Your boat is beautiful and I’ve looked at your posts many times for inspiration.

The only reason I ask about the length is space is really tight. I was leaning towards the extra foot but second guessing myself. I will be ready for the form by next weekend and plan to take the week off to get the keel, chine logs and sheer clamps done so I can put it on casters and not have to kick my wife out of the garage for too long. It will probably require some rearranging but I think I can get the boat and the minivan in the garage at the same time :D

One last question. I don’t see the mahogany uprights at the transom in you build form pics. Did you add those later?

Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

The casters are a good idea. I moved mine around a lot. I would roll the boat out of the garage for better access than in my garage.
The upright mahogany pieces are there. Mine extended slightly beyond the transom. The were bolted to the build form. See pic below.
Jim
Attachments
P1010071.JPG
Jim Neeley
Building a Barrelback in Sacramento, CA
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=28089#p172969

neel thompson

Post by neel thompson »

Here is a picture of the rolling building form I made for my Palm Beach 22 build. I fabricated four "L" brackets which I bolted to the floor during construction of the framework and the first layer of plywood cold molded planking. Then I cut the bolts off and was able to roll it around easily in any direction. I also incorporated four bunk risers which will have carpeted 2 x 6's. Then after the flip, the building form will become a nice dolly to rest the hull on while constructing the deck and installing engine,etc. It is probably an overbuild, but when I built my Gentry, the dolly collapsed after I got the engine and other weight in the boat. Heavy duty castors, through bolted are a must....Best of luck to you as you move ahead with your BB build...
Neel
Attachments
20180414_135657.jpg

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

Building form is almost done but... I followed the plans for the form which call for 2’6” between the uprights. Then I noticed the call out for 26” between inside edges of the stringers. My stringers are 1 1/2” (2 laminated pieces of 3/4 mahogany) so they will be 27” inside to inside. I don’t see any issue here but would appreciate the forums more informed feedback before I move on.

Thanks in advance!

kens

Post by kens »

I have never found a hard and fast dimension for the inboard engine mount spacing, center-to-center. although 24" seems the most common
If your stringers are assumed 1" too wide, then make the difference with the beds, adjust and build to suit.
the engine mounts are somewhat adjustable in width
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

Thanks Ken. That’s what I expected.

I finished the form, minus the stem support that I’ll add later.
I framed houses to put myself through college and I can honestly say that this is the most square, level and plumb thing I have ever constructed out of 2x4s!!!

Now the real fun begins!
Attachments
Can’t figure out why this is sideways.
Can’t figure out why this is sideways.

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

Framing is done! I’ll be working on the keel tomorrow. It’s amazing how much progress you can make when you take a week of vacation.
7EABBF78-1D80-4D79-884C-4C2DAFDFB452.jpeg
I’m curious, what are people paying for okoume plywood? The one place I’ve found it locally wants $99 a sheet. I didn’t have $3000 of plywood in the budget. I expected more in the range of $50-$60. If you have a good online source I’m not opposed to ordering if I can save $1000!!!

kens

Post by kens »

Price per sheet of plywood, as well as price per gallon of epoxy, is of small portion of the total cost of the total build.
If this is your first build, then of course you cannot see this until,,,,,,you get to the end of your build,,,,,,,
the end of the build is the most expensive,,,,systems,,,wiring,,,plumbing,,,,safety,,,finishing,,,canvas,,,
Oak is over rated, everything about it takes extra time; then it warps, splits or checks !!! :roll:

vupilot

Post by vupilot »

$90/sheet here in Indiana. Lumber was 20% the total cost of my build.

Hercdrvr

Post by Hercdrvr »

I order my marine plywood from Homestead, $54 a sheet for 1/8” Okoume. A Barrelback takes about 25 sheets of 1/8” plywood.
Matt B

https://www.marine-plywood.us/mahogany_okoume.htm

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

Homestead. There is a pretty good discount if you buy it all at once. If you can pick it up at the shipping terminal you can also save some money.

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

Thanks guys. It looks like I can save $1000 by ordering from homestead. I’ll be going that way for sure.

kens

Post by kens »

Is World Panel still in business?
Down in Jupiter, Fl.

FL-John

Post by FL-John »

They are! It’s only 3 hours and $47 a sheet!!! Thanks for the tip! Looks like I’ll be making a day trip to Jupiter!

Bill Edmundson

Post by Bill Edmundson »

That's why we're here!

Bill
Mini -Tug, KH Tahoe 19 & Bartender 24 - There can be no miracle recoveries without first screwing up.
Tahoe 19 Build

Return to “Hankinson designs”