Cutting BarrelBack frames

A forum for contacting other builders of Ken Hankinson designs. These designs are now a part of the Glen-L family.

Moderators: Bill Edmundson, billy c

CoreyT

Cutting BarrelBack frames

Post by CoreyT »

Is there any advice out there or lessons learned that I should heed prior to buying my first round of lumber and cutting the frames? I am going to buy the lumber for the frames this week and they said the lumber is milled so I assume that makes sure they are planned and jointed, but because I have to cut the frames out does it matter if they are planned and jointed? Being new to this it seems to me that after I cut out the frames I would make sure the y were cut maybe 1/8th inch proud of whatever given measurement it is for that frame so I have something left to plane that would Leave with with the net width required. Also it seems to me it’s only necessary to plane the side the plywood attached to the frame. I wouldn’t have a good reason to plane all sides of the frame, but I may be missing something here.

specialk

Re: Cutting BarrelBack frames

Post by specialk »

You...will eventually want to seal up these frames...
So being planed or sanded well ...will be a good idea...
Just my 2 cents...
Kelly...1st Boat...Flats Flyer
2nd Boat.....?

Tony Hain

Post by Tony Hain »

Seeing that you are cutting out the frames anyway, I would only have the boards dressed on the two faces and not worry about the edges. If you are having the timber milled by someone else it will save a little.
Tony Hain
"Never under-estimate the bounds of human stupidity" (Robert Heinlein)
and on a more optimistic note "nor the capacity for human brilliance"

DrBryanJ

Post by DrBryanJ »

You only need the two sides surfaced. If they are a little thicker than the plans call for it is okay. It is really the minimum they should be. If the planes say use 1" stock, it means 3/4 " thickness. If they are 7/8 it is okay. the sides that get the ply attached to will be faired after the frames are on the build form
Bryan

Building a malahini "Mona Lisa"

My wife said "If I build a boat, she's getting a divorce."
We're still happily married, but now she just wants "the dam boat out of the garage."

CoreyT

Post by CoreyT »

Awesome! Thanks a lot fellas I appreciate the response. The place I order from receives the wood already milled so now with y’all giving me the warm and fuzzy I’m ready to move forward. I need to make sure I do this right.

monitor

Post by monitor »

Hi Corey. You can save a lot of time cutting out the curves on your frames and cutting all of your straight stock as well. Bandsaw the curved parts to the line and that is fine. They do not need to be planed, routed or sanded because you will be doing that by hand when you fair to match the angle of the battens.
Straight parts can be ripped on the table saw or circular saw right to the size called out. These parts will be faired at some point as well and do not need to have a surfaced edge on them. Besides, a sawn edge will work for anything except for final finish.
Having lumber that is S2S (surfaced 2 sides), the faces of the boards, is all you need to start with, as stated by the other folks. If one edge is straightened, all the better for ripping the boards. Sometimes called out as S2S1E. (surfaced 2 sides 1 edge)
Have fun!
Jim Kinsella

CoreyT

Post by CoreyT »

That’s a lot of good info. Thanks for the reply. I’m waiting on my first lumber purchase to come in this Tuesday so I’m getting anxious to start cutting. I feel more confident and that about answers my questions for this phase of the work. Thanks again! I know I’ll have plenty more questions. The forum is a tremendous help.

CoreyT

Frame sanity check

Post by CoreyT »

I need some help understanding this. Is it safe to assume that the bottom of frame one will lap the forward side just like the deck beam laps the forward side? I ask this because it doesn’t specifically state in the plans to do this like it does for the deck beam
Attachments
197EB2AA-E050-4AC0-AA94-A87221A9AB29.jpeg
9B5489F8-7DC5-45FC-917E-8AC0CD8CCCA3.jpeg

Return to “Hankinson designs”